Best way to work on team with RMVXA

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by exsharaen, Jun 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exsharaen

exsharaen Villager Member

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Hi all,

I have been working on a project with Steam version of RMVXA. My team currently consists of two person (and may grow in the near future), each of whom has their own responsibility (e.g. let's say I deal with scripting and eventing, while my friend deals with resources and mapping). We can't figure out how to combine our work into one project without conflicting each other with minimum effort.

For example, let's say we work from a fresh project. My Map001 is renamed to Town A, then I add Map002 (Town B) . Meanwhile, my friend creates Map002 to be World Map. How can I combine these two projects, since now our Map002 are not the same map? Here was my manual solution on RMXP days:

1. I created Map003 and closed RMXP.

2. I renamed my friend's Map002 to Map003, then copied it to my project folder.

3. i reopened RMXP and did slight adjustment to Map003 (can't remember what, maybe just rearranged the map tree).

Another case, let's say we have both Map001. My friend already draws the layout, then I add some events. While I am working on events, my friend notices something weird on the layout and fixes it (but her map does not contain any events, since I am still working on it). How do I combine our maps together, i.e. combine my map (which has outdated layout but with latest events) with her map (which has latest layout but outdated events)? The only solution I can think for now is:

1. I must clone first my Map001. Say I clone it to Map002. Then I close RMVXA.

2. I copy my friend's latest Map001. At this point, my events should be gone, but I will have the latest layout.

3. I copy all of my events from Map002 to Map001, then delete Map002.

I can't imagine how complicated and time-consuming this solution will be when I have many maps (I am currently working with ~50 maps).

So I want to ask all developers here who work on team: what is the best way to work on team with RMVXA?

I wanted to use Steam Workshop, since both of us use Steam version of RMVXA. We tested using a simple new project, however my friend cannot update her changes into the Workshop, even if I have added her as contributor. So I must have mistaken to think Steam Workshop as similar to Github, mustn't I?

I just wonder if there are similar solutions like Github for RMVXA. I'm not really sure to use Github since this is not a programming project... I am trying it right now, but I'd like to know if someone has better solutions.

Thank you,

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There are a lot of possible problems when working in a team, because the editor wasn't desinged for this.

I suggest the following:

1) Make a master copy that is NOT directly worked in - each of the team members only works in their personal copy of the game.

2) Create a good number of empty maps in the master copy (depending of game size, but enough to give each mapper ten map IDs to work in)

3) Send a copy of the master to each team member. Additionally, speak with each other where who works (like which map IDs or which part of the database)

4) once a week (or whatever you agree to) copy the changes back to the master copy and redistribute it, requiring everyone to work only from the new master version.

You might want to use dropbox instead of steam workshop, especially in case of a small team - it's much easier to do and it has automatic version protection in case you accidentally work on the same files.

Glindur likes this.
  3. exsharaen

exsharaen Villager Member

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Ah I see, so there's currently no way to do it as I imagined. I'll try your suggestions though.

Thank you for your suggestion! This topic may be marked as closed then.

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.