Bestiary, gallery, sound player.

EtphTheElephant

Advanced Elephant
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Do you look for these things in RPG's? Do you check them if they're there? Do you think they're pointless?

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Depends on game type.

An exploration-RPG should have a bestiary (and item lists and so on), see "Etrian Odyssee" on NDS or similiar games

Story-Based games, especially if they have multiple endings, should have a gallery with the most important story-points

Sound and Music aren't my special intersts, but I think it's similiar for those.

muramasa

Abomination of life, or life itself.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
I like bestiaries. All Final Fantasy GBA remakes had them (1, 2, 4, 5, 6), and it was fun! Even if I was not a completionist (though I could do want to try and complete it someday), it was nice to see enemies there.

The sound and music, it depends. If you have nice music, I'll be glad to have a musicbox somewhere (or a jukebox). In Final Fantasy Legends 2 for example, I liked how there was a place where you paid 1GP to play whatever music you wanted (and I love those games music!).

I think you can give it a try if it's not too much of a chore, little extras are not mandatory but nice to have,

Orochii Zouveleki

EtphTheElephant

Advanced Elephant
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, I personally never check those things. But you know, some people like that and I was just thinking of them.

kj3400

Hmph Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sound player is nice. If there's a tune I liked in the game, I'd like to listen to it. Bestiary is good, but it's not a deal breaker, though I did like to see what each monster was weak to. Gallery, I can take it or leave it.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
I don't really look unto those things...

Beastiary: unless they are really needed or provides really nice information that I really need, but I've yet to really play a game where I needed to read the bestiary entry just to know how to defeat it for example

Gallery: if you have some nice pictures, maybe

Sound player: not a fan of those

Last edited by a moderator:

Probotector 200X

Probotect and Serve
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I'm almost picky with these things honestly. I love it when they are there, but some games go to extra lengths to make them more interesting.

I love the Final Fantasy 1 and 2 ports method. If you fight the enemy (probably have to defeat them too) then they go on the bestiary. The bestiary says a lot of information about them (but no "flavor text", which is always fun) and it even plays the battle music that goes with them. I love that, makes it a mini sound test too.

I love it when Sound tests add music that way too. Like, if you hear a song ONCE, in the game, it gets added to your sound test.

Now, these features, when they just get unlocked all at once when you beat the game? Still nice, but, meh, you've already done everything. It's not as fun, and it's more interesting to add as you go, and I love using the soundtest before or after a play session. If I've already completed the game? Not gonna use 'em much.

muramasa

Abomination of life, or life itself.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
@Probotector: When you finish a game you start it over! you close it, say thanks for the food, and continue with another game. It's life's cycle. Surely you can revisit something, but unless you're practicing a speed run you don't play the same game more than one time in a row. Unless it's Tetris.

Anyway, I agree completely with EuropeanGryzor Probotector,

Orochii Zouveleki

Probotector 200X

Probotect and Serve
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Probotector: When you finish a game you start it over! you close it, say thanks for the food, and continue with another game. It's life's cycle. Surely you can revisit something, but unless you're practicing a speed run you don't play the same game more than one time in a row. Unless it's Tetris.

Anyway, I agree completely with EuropeanGryzor Probotector,

Orochii Zouveleki
That was my point. If the bestiary and sound test and whatever aren't unlocked until after beating the game, typically I look at them once, right after beating it, then...move onto another game. When the bestiary and sound test progress with you, then I enjoy them more.

I can think of other games I play more than once in a row, like...games related to my namesake (and avatar) which you actually seem to be aware of! No one else has commented on them yet. (Seriously, Contra 4, that game was so much fun to play over and over again...)

West Mains

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I dont look for them, they always struck me as special features. Always nice to have them for people that want them, but not very necessary. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

image i made on mon-die morning
Everyday I'm hustlin' hustlin'
And now I'm wondering if I only made progress in learning this engine because I was procrastinating on everything else I need to do...
from twitter:
Therapist: and what do we do with our trauma?
Me: give it to a character
Character: NO
other devs: *carefully plan the battle balance (with actual calculation in sheet)* | Me: *randomly throws numbers and skills to see which works*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DennisJFoster