Beta Tester & Feedback

Discussion in 'Project Recruitment' started by EliteKilljoy, Dec 7, 2014.

1. EliteKilljoy

EliteKilljoy Beta Tester, English Proofer, German Translator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

EliteKilljoy's Beta Testing & Feedback Service

What I will do:
    -Test play your finished or unfinished game for a minimum of 30 minutes (unless your demo is shorter than that). I might play for longer if I have the time and/or if I liked it enough to continue for more.
    -Provide feedback of my impressions on your game as I play through your demo.
    -Include a summary of my final thoughts of the overall experience I had from playing your game.

What you should expect from my impressions:
    -Opinions. The feedback I'll provide are not facts. They are my opinions on your game design. I have my own likes and dislikes, keep that in mind.
    -Criticism. Because criticism is more helpful to improving your game than compliments are. That said, I'll likely also include things I did like in my test review.
    -If I thought your game was bad or unfun, don't expect kind words from me. Request my service at your own risk.

What I expect from you:
    -A post in this thread. I'd like this thread to remain active as long as there are people interested in my service to avoid the need of frequent bumping. If you wish for me to review your game please post in this thread instead of sending me a PM.
    -A link to a download to your game. The inclusion of a save file with your game's download if there's a specific part you want me to test-play.
    -Your game must be in a playable state. If it fails to load up or crash every few minutes I won't be further test-playing your game.
    -To respect my review of your game. You're free to dislike what I wrote about your game, but don't go into an argument or flame war over it.
    -Be patient while waiting for me to test-play your game and write my review of it. I may have other games requested before yours, or simply not have the time to play any at the moment (real life takes priority).
    -Do NOT request your game more than once, UNLESS there has been a major content update to it.

Final words:
    -I'd prefer to stick to play-testing RPGs, as that's the genre I'm most familiar with. That does not mean I won't accept requests for games of other genres.
    -I will send my test-play review in a PM to you, unless you wish me to post it in your project's thread instead. I will also post it here.

Grading Guide:
    Technicalities (X/5): Does it have correct grammar, no text cut offs, etc? This also includes overall UI of the game.
    Scenery (X/5): How good are the backgrounds/mapping?
    Characters (X/5): Can I relate to them? Are they too Mary Sue?
    Story (X/5): How interesting/exciting/etc is the story?
    Flow (X/5): Do all of the scenes flow together in a neat fashion?
    Unique (X/5): Is there anything that makes the game special? Different?
    Dialogue (X/5): Is it good? Bad? Boring?
    Music/Sounds (X/5): Does the music set the mood? Is it good? Lame? Repetitive? This also includes sound effects.
    Other Notes: Not worth any points. This is just for the maker's benefit.
    Total Score: X/40

= 1 Star
    = 1/2 Star
    = Blank Star

**This means that each "star" rating equals 8 points for a total of 40 points.
    **Also note that a score of 3 is average and by no means me saying that you didn't do well in that area.

Games I am Currently Beta Testing:
    Crimson Shift by atasuke10
    Machine Made: Rebirth (key in PM) by Allsvin
    Elemental Fragment by acet

Finished & Reviewed Games:
    Stricken
    By: Anorak
    ★★★★☆

Technicalities (3/5): Text is sometimes hard to read (would be better with a different font) specifically the differences between o's and a's. Tiny, tiny little spelling/grammar mistakes occasionally. Menu is very plain. Controls easy to get a hold of, but could possibly use a brief tutorial for someone who hasn't played RPG-M games before. Strange entries in the diary (but I'm assuming that's the maker just testing some things out ;P).

Scenery (4/5): Awesome use of props. Makes the hospital seem very cluttered and old. Blood looked great, I must say. Building was very uniform, as a hospital should be. Setting made sense. Makes you go back to places you've already been (so it's a bit repetitive).

Characters (2/5): Pyramid-head guy from Silent Hill? Not a ton of character depth yet, but it was only the intro. I can see that the character has some sort of issue and I was on the edge of my seat wanting to know more!

Story (5/5): Very, very interesting setup. Had me spooked, haha. The demo/intro made me wanting to know more about what happened to the characters and the hospital. Kept me engaged.

Flow (5/5): The game itself flowed smoothly. You always knew where to go and it was impossible to get lost. Tiny cutscenes were nice transitions.

Unique (4/5): This seems like a very interesting concept ("you ARE the killer!"). The Silent Hill-type bad guy kinda put me off a bit. Hospital/psychiatric RPGs are not super uncommon, but I can feel this going somewhere no other game of that genre is going (both down the horror branch and the phsych branch).

Dialogue (2/5): Dialogue itself was kind of unimpressive. The main character pointed out the obvious when interacting with objects, and the same dialogue happened over and over again when interacting with the same subjects. The text box down at the bottom is a nice touch, since it doesn't get in the way of the scenes. I'm expecting more dialogue when the character isn't so alone. ;)

Music/Sounds (5/5): Awesome and dramatic music at the title screen. Music is fairly loud (possibly because of my headphones, I'm not sure). Spooky! Music was sometimes repetitive, but it still was dramatic and added to the scene. (NOTE: It was just my headphones XD) The sound effects were good (elevator button beeps, doors open and close spookily, etc).

Other Notes: Let me start by saying that I'm not a huge fan of horror (I'm a wuss, lol). This game, however, kept me wanting more and I NEED TO KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON!! I feel like it will be a very interesting game and I can't way to see how it turns out. :)This is also only a ten minute long demo, and I expect that this game will get even better in the future. :D I would love to re-test once more is done!

Total Score: 30/40
    Violent Whispers
    By: Dark_Metamorphosis
    ★★★☆☆

Technicalities (2/5): Awesome tutorial at the beginning with an option for keyboard or gamepad. "Skip intro" option for second-time players. Tiny, tiny grammatical errors in spots. Super long intro.

Scenery (2/5): Wonderful use of scenery, props, and weather effects. A few chests that are a bit TOO convenient and misplaced. Not much interactibility with environment. Blinding lightning gets slightly annoying.

Characters (3/5): There are only about 3-4 character with names in the first 30 minutes of gameplay. Two seem to not be super important and the third is the main character. The king gives me bad vibes, which is good because at least I'm feeling something about him. Nothing too unique about the characters yet.

Story (3/5): The story seems decent so far, but it took a long time to convey everything that was happening in the opening cutscenes (about ~10 minutes of opening scenes). I'm interested to see where it goes, but it seems like one of those games that will make it tedious to get there.

Flow (5/5): The flow is very nice. The game lets you know when you got a new quest or item and there are noises that clue you in to important things.

Unique (4/5): This is a very original concept, at least. I've seen a few other games with small similarities (such as one of my dropped projects awhile back), but the creator is making the story his own.

Dialogue (3/5): Dialogue is good. Some characters have different ways of speaking, which adds a special realistic flair. Not incredibly interesting and sometimes too-long conversations that get tedious to read.

Music/Sounds (5/5): Beautiful music at title screen, ngh. Beautiful music everywhere, wow! Dat intro music. ;) Not distracting. Shiny-sparkle sound with a key item (nice touch). Overall, good use of sound and music for dramatic effect and detail.

Other Notes: Overall good game. I think with some work, it could be really good! I just have a few things to add. Try to spruce up your dialogue a bit. Also, the intro was reeeeally long. I think if you change anything in the game, it should be that. You can always tell part of the story and reveal other bits later on. I love the questing and game mechanics. It has the potential to be a really awesome game with just a bit more work! Good job! :D

Total Score: 27/40
    Bleeding Moons
    By: cabfe
    ★★★☆☆

Technicalities (3/5): Nice and clean menus. Cool library system for storing informational books. Overall neat and organized. No intro, really. Had to get all information on the story from reading books. No tutorial.

Scenery (3/5): Lighting effects are wonderful! Convenient hallway that leads you right to your objective at the beginning. Simple mapping. Lots of things to interact with.

Characters (2/5): You talked about To the Moon in your project development page, then made a character named River who resembles her? Characters are individuals (it’s clear to see that they have different interests), however, all characters seem to act the same.

Story (2/5): The story seemed like it could be really good. Nothing extremely exciting happened in the first half hour of gameplay. Got stuck on a quest that required luck to find the right flower. Interesting concept, though.

Flow (5/5): The flow of the game is solid. I like how it goes between past and present in Ian’s memories and it works really well.

Unique (3/5): I have seen quite a few stories with some of the same ideas (the main character loses their memory and such). Not too many games that I have played where the main character is a nobleman, so that was interesting.

Dialogue (3/5): Dialogue is a bit too straight forward. Strange bits where you have to read two separate conversations at once. Forgotten French to English translations occasionally. Strange moments where people Ian’s age call him “little count.” I understand that some of these issues are probably because of the translations.

Music/Sounds (3/5): Background music was nice. Not distracting, but didn’t necessarily add to the scene.

Other Notes: The game overall has potential. Most of the things I said were very nitpicky and, of course, personal preference. I think that it has the potential to be a really great game, but, like I said, I only play the first 30 minutes of a game. I’m interested to see where the story is going, but not enough to spend hours to get there.

Total Score: 24/40
    Linus
    By: blueperiod
    ★★★☆☆

Technicalities (2/5): Noticeable spots where rain stops before continuing. Sometimes, light effects would load in before the actual scene (and sometimes after the scene). Nice tutorial after the intro. Long-ish intro, but not necessarily boring. I like that there’s a “…” above people’s heads that you’re able to talk to and that it turns dark after you’ve spoken with them…nice touch. Tiny grammar errors, but nothing large.

Scenery (4/5): Scenery is beautiful! Effects are nice. Sometimes a little dark, but it gives it dramatic effect. Map layout is nice.

Characters (5/5): Characters, even seemingly unimportant ones, add to the story. The player really feels for the characters, whether it be love, hate, etc. For example, I really hated these two characters who were unimportant to the story.

Story (3/5): The story is interesting so far. I quite enjoy it, really. It was a bit slow to get into, but I’m really rather happy with the way that it’s going.

Flow (2/5): Game runs a bit slow sometimes because of all of the effects.

Unique (3/5): There are several games that are vaguely the same as this one (land going to war against undefeatable enemy, etc.), but it has its own twist to it, too. It’s not horribly unique, but it is unique enough to be interesting.

Dialogue (4/5): Dialogue is interesting. It highlights important people and objects/places and gives information about the story, as well as flavor text. Not bad at all!

Music/Sounds (3/5): Music fits very well into the story, making it more dramatic. The sounds of the rain/waves/thunder/music is sometimes a bit distracting during dialogue.

Other Notes: Great game so far! I’m thinking of actually playing more than the first 30 minutes just for the fun of it! Awesome job! Please let me know how this goes for you! Keep me updated with the progression! :)

Total Score: 26/40
    Flight of the Eagle
    by Tarsus
    ★★★☆☆

Technicalities (4/5): VERY minor grammar mistakes. I would like to see names by the characters’ portraits, but that’s just me. Interesting collection “game” throughout the game (finding ID tags). I love that putting on armor changes the sprite’s appearance.

Scenery (3/5): Cool backgrounds, though more detailed ones in the future would really add to it. Maybe try parallax mapping and have nice art for space backgrounds that aren’t just pixelated (it’s not bad as it is, but I think it would add to it)?

Characters (3/5): Characters are all unique from one another. Not all have the same personality, so that’s good. Some portraits are a little choppy and obviously photoshopped. Maybe get them cleaned up a little bit.

Story (2/5): I’m interested from the beginning, but not engrossed. As the game progresses, I get more and more interested. I’m interested to see where the story goes, but so far it just seems a bit like the typical “dude saves princess” and “important guy gets killed” type of thing.

Flow (5/5): The flow from one scene to another is very good.

Unique (2/5): The story itself is a typical “dude saves princess” and “important guy gets killed” type of thing, but I haven’t seen it done in space, really.

Dialogue (3/5): Dialogue is good. It’s sometimes a bit lame, but not bad. I would like to kind of see more expression in the dialogue (such as changing “That was gunfire.” to “That was gunfire!”).

Music/Sounds (3/5): Music is good, but I think there is more fitting music out there for the genre. Sounds are base-game sounds, but not awful. Tarsus said most music/sounds were placeholders.

Other Notes: Tarsus did tell me that the game was not nearly finished yet and that some placeholders were still in the game. Still, it is a pretty good game. I’m interested to see where the story goes and can’t wait to play more of it in the future, especially after the improvements listed above are resolved.

Total Score: 25/40
    Stricken [UPDATE]
    ★★★★☆

Technicalities (4/5): Simple tutorial added to the beginning. Nice! Text still is a little hard to tell the differences between a’s and o’s, but it’s not too bad (also, still VERY minor grammar things, but I’m overly observant on that type of thing). Menu is still very plain, but clean looking. Not sure if it’s supposed to show up, but the “cure” page is not in my inventory.

Scenery (4/5): The scenery is still very good. Still makes sense in the story. I like that you added a sparkling where there was something somewhat important to look at (or maybe I just missed that before?).

Characters (3/5): The movement speed is a little weird from how I remember it (maybe I just forgot?), like it seems too fast. That’s just personal opinion, though. Yay, you replaced Pyramid Head! :D Also, the spooky guy’s face looks a lot better now. There still isn’t a lot of development on the main guy, but there are interesting little things that hint at his life/personality and I like that.

Story (5/5): Same as first demo.

Flow (4/5): Contrary to my previous review, I found myself getting lost this time a little. It wasn’t anything major and I actually enjoyed how the creator did it and why (no spoilers here!), so it’s not really a complaint. There are some parts where it’s hard to tell that there is a door there. I would suggest making sure there are rugs or something in front of every door (especially ones that you enter from above and the side). Got stuck again. Very confused as to WHAT I need for this part. Update: ooooh, not too bad to find, I’m just dumb.

Unique (4/5): Same as first demo.

Dialogue (4/5): Maybe it’s just me, but there seems to be less obnoxious dialogue when interacting with useless objects. Okay, it’s definitely not just me. Much better, well done! There is also now journals and more narration, both of which are very nice.

Music/Sounds (5/5): Music is still awesome, omg. Same with the sounds that the doors and such make. It’s spooky! OMG I sat there for awhile because I was texting one of my friends and the music changed to THE CREEPIEST dayum MUSIC I HAVE EVER HEARD STAHP.

Other Notes: Omg I hate horror games! D: I get so nervous, oh my god! I have to give you major props, this update made the game MUCH scarier (or maybe I’m just a wimp?) than the first time! It really gives you the feeling of “will he be there in that next room or around the corner.” All in all, well done! This release is a HUGE improvement from the last time I tested your game! I’m still excited to see where this goes and would love to play test for you again soon (even though I hate horror *cries*)! If you don’t change anything/much in the beginning, would it be possible for you to create a save for me where I left off (if you have me beta test again)? I don’t want to go through all of that fright again, lol!

Total Score: 33/40
    Immortal Sins
    By: AceOfAces_Mod
    ★★☆☆☆

Technicalities (3/5): Nice choices on start-up screen (play, documents, feedback, website, etc). I like the key control tutorial in the beginning, especially if there’s someone not familiar with the RPGM program playing it. Strange gaps in text where there doesn’t need to be line breaks. The “basic” battle tutorial is rather extensive….maybe teach just a bit at a time. For a first battle, it also took way too long.

Scenery (1/5): Looks like a map just pulled from the already-made maps of RPGM. Nothing impressive. Important NPCs missing (like the innkeeper). There seems to be a lack of NPCs in every building, making the town seem dead.

Characters (1/5): When the characters die in the intro, don’t just make them disappear. Try to find a dead sprite for each of them. Characters don’t actually walk away after a cutscene, they just disappear. Characters all seem the same and very Mary Sue-like.

Story (2/5): The narrator comes right out and tells you what happened. I would rather see the story progress through other means. The story is presented clearly through dialogue, which bothers me greatly.

Flow (4/5): The flow is rather nice, actually. Each scene changes smoothly and makes sense with the story.

Unique (2/5):
    I’ve heard of A LOT of games like this one. Never exactly the same, really, but VERY similar.

Dialogue (1/5):
    Dialogue is rather lame. Kind of seems like very young children talking.

Music/Sounds (3/5):
    Not sure where I’ve heard the title music before, but it’s not original. Lots of sounds are used and it’s not even a minute in (which is good and bad…don’t be overpowering with too many sound effects).

Other Notes:
    All in all, I think that the game has potential, but after A LOT of work. There’s a lot of things that would need to be changed for me to really enjoy playing this game, but maybe that’s just me.

Total Score: 17/40

**NOTE: Some of the reviews I've posted as replies have the code broken due to the change in the RPGMaker website. I have fixed the coding in my post in the spoilers above, and will eventually get around to fixing the posts, too.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    Allsvin, KanaX, Zeriab and 2 others like this.
  2. Anorak

Anorak Concealed Always. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Dark_Metamorphosis likes this.
  3. EliteKilljoy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Awesome! I'll start tomorrow :)

4. Dark_Metamorphosis

Dark_Metamorphosis What a horrible night to have a curse. Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    I would love if you wanted to test my new version for my game that should be arriving soon. Its a new demo with a lot of new changes from my current one, that has been redone due to the progress of my game. Its a fantasy rpg with a little bit of a psychological ascept :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2014
  5. EliteKilljoy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'd love to! :D send me the download link :)

6. EliteKilljoy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Stricken
    ★★★★

Technicalities (3/5): Text is sometimes hard to read (would be better with a different font) specifically the differences between o's and a's. Tiny, tiny little spelling/grammar mistakes occasionally. Menu is very plain. Controls easy to get a hold of, but could possibly use a brief tutorial for someone who hasn't played RPG-M games before. Strange entries in the diary (but I'm assuming that's the maker just testing some things out ;P).

Scenery (4/5): Awesome use of props. Makes the hospital seem very cluttered and old. Blood looked great, I must say. Building was very uniform, as a hospital should be. Setting made sense. Makes you go back to places you've already been (so it's a bit repetitive).

Characters (2/5): Pyramid-head guy from Silent Hill? Not a ton of character depth yet, but it was only the intro. I can see that the character has some sort of issue and I was on the edge of my seat wanting to know more!

Story (5/5): Very, very interesting setup. Had me spooked, haha. The demo/intro made me wanting to know more about what happened to the characters and the hospital. Kept me engaged.

Flow (5/5): The game itself flowed smoothly. You always knew where to go and it was impossible to get lost. Tiny cutscenes were nice transitions.

Unique (4/5): This seems like a very interesting concept ("you ARE the killer!"). The Silent Hill-type bad guy kinda put me off a bit. Hospital/psychiatric RPGs are not super uncommon, but I can feel this going somewhere no other game of that genre is going (both down the horror branch and the phsych branch).

Dialogue (2/5): Dialogue itself was kind of unimpressive. The main character pointed out the obvious when interacting with objects, and the same dialogue happened over and over again when interacting with the same subjects. The text box down at the bottom is a nice touch, since it doesn't get in the way of the scenes. I'm expecting more dialogue when the character isn't so alone. ;)

Music/Sounds (5/5): Awesome and dramatic music at the title screen. Music is fairly loud (possibly because of my headphones, I'm not sure). Spooky! Music was sometimes repetitive, but it still was dramatic and added to the scene. (NOTE: It was just my headphones XD) The sound effects were good (elevator button beeps, doors open and close spookily, etc).

Other Notes: Let me start by saying that I'm not a huge fan of horror (I'm a wuss, lol). This game, however, kept me wanting more and I NEED TO KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON!! I feel like it will be a very interesting game and I can't way to see how it turns out. :)This is also only a ten minute long demo, and I expect that this game will get even better in the future. :D I would love to re-test once more is done!

Total Score: 30/40

Anorak likes this.
  7. Anorak

Anorak Concealed Always. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    EliteKilljoy sent me some really great feedback on my game, which I believe will benefit in the long rung in development of Stricken. I'd definitely recommend Elite to anyone else which needs detailed, quality feedback.

Thank you. :D

EliteKilljoy likes this.
  8. EliteKilljoy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Violent Whispers
    By: Dark_Metamorphosis
    ★★★☆☆

Technicalities (2/5): Awesome tutorial at the beginning with an option for keyboard or gamepad. "Skip intro" option for second-time players. Tiny, tiny grammatical errors in spots. Super long intro.

Scenery (2/5): Wonderful use of scenery, props, and weather effects. A few chests that are a bit TOO convenient and misplaced. Not much interactibility with environment. Blinding lightning gets slightly annoying.

Characters (3/5): There are only about 3-4 character with names in the first 30 minutes of gameplay. Two seem to not be super important and the third is the main character. The king gives me bad vibes, which is good because at least I'm feeling something about him. Nothing too unique about the characters yet.

Story (3/5): The story seems decent so far, but it took a long time to convey everything that was happening in the opening cutscenes (about ~10 minutes of opening scenes). I'm interested to see where it goes, but it seems like one of those games that will make it tedious to get there.

Flow (5/5): The flow is very nice. The game lets you know when you got a new quest or item and there are noises that clue you in to important things.

Unique (4/5): This is a very original concept, at least. I've seen a few other games with small similarities (such as one of my dropped projects awhile back), but the creator is making the story his own.

Dialogue (3/5): Dialogue is good. Some characters have different ways of speaking, which adds a special realistic flair. Not incredibly interesting and sometimes too-long conversations that get tedious to read.

Music/Sounds (5/5): Beautiful music at title screen, ngh. Beautiful music everywhere, wow! Dat intro music. ;) Not distracting. Shiny-sparkle sound with a key item (nice touch). Overall, good use of sound and music for dramatic effect and detail.

Other Notes: Overall good game. I think with some work, it could be really good! I just have a few things to add. Try to spruce up your dialogue a bit. Also, the intro was reeeeally long. I think if you change anything in the game, it should be that. You can always tell part of the story and reveal other bits later on. I love the questing and game mechanics. It has the potential to be a really awesome game with just a bit more work! Good job! :D

Total Score: 27/40

9. Dark_Metamorphosis

Dark_Metamorphosis What a horrible night to have a curse. Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Well might as well put up the link here then for your consideration: 

Link

Just some heads-up that I want to announce before you start playing (And in case you get to these parts of the game):

- The dungeon with the first boss battle, has been reworked so the player will have 2 characters available during the dungeon and the boss, the boss has also been reworked and is a lot more polished. I just cant put that in at the moment though since there are some changes beyond the demo that needs to be done before I can do that.

- Same with the second boss.

- The spell-system is outdated, and will no longer work like shown in the demo. Instead there will be lore around their skill-trees and each character will have an individual one. The Blacksmith system works sort of the same, but with some tweaks.

Just wanted to point these out before you start playing in case its something that bothers you. Since it has been worked on I just wanted to avoid any feedback regarding that.

Thanks!

Edit: Just saw that you already downloaded it, that was fast xd

10. EliteKilljoy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Haha, you were a bit late on that ;) Thank you for letting me know, though!

It really is a good game so far and I'm excited to see where it goes. :) Keep me updated!

11. Evan Finkel

Evan Finkel Modeling Beholder Veteran

I'd love to make a request too, after my game releases. Good shop, you may have more customers! ^^

Marsigne likes this.
  12. EliteKilljoy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Awesome! Can't wait until your game releases. :)

And thank you for the compliment! :D

Marsigne likes this.
  13. EliteKilljoy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Bleeding Moons
    By: cabfe
    ★★★☆☆

[SIZE=10.5pt]Technicalities (3/5):[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] Nice and clean menus. Cool library system for storing informational books. Overall neat and organized. No intro, really. Had to get all information on the story from reading books. No tutorial.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Scenery (3/5):[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] Lighting effects are wonderful! Convenient hallway that leads you right to your objective at the beginning. Simple mapping. Lots of things to interact with.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Characters (2/5):[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] You talked about To the Moon in your project development page, then made a character named River who resembles her? Characters are individuals (it’s clear to see that they have different interests), however, all characters seem to act the same.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Story (2/5):[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] The story seemed like it could be really good. Nothing extremely exciting happened in the first half hour of gameplay. Got stuck on a quest that required luck to find the right flower. Interesting concept, though.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Flow (5/5):[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] The flow of the game is solid. I like how it goes between past and present in Ian’s memories and it works really well.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Unique (3/5):[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] I have seen quite a few stories with some of the same ideas (the main character loses their memory and such). Not too many games that I have played where the main character is a nobleman, so that was interesting.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Dialogue (3/5):[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] Dialogue is a bit too straight forward. Strange bits where you have to read two separate conversations at once. Forgotten French to English translations occasionally. Strange moments where people Ian’s age call him “little count.” I understand that some of these issues are probably because of the translations.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Music/Sounds (3/5):[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] Background music was nice. Not distracting, but didn’t necessarily add to the scene.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Other Notes:[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] The game overall has potential. Most of the things I said were very nitpicky and, of course, personal preference. I think that it has the potential to be a really great game, but, like I said, I only play the first 30 minutes of a game. I’m interested to see where the story is going, but not enough to spend hours to get there.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Total Score:[/SIZE] 24/40

14. Kaelan

Kaelan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hey, I'd really appreciate some more feedback on my game if you're still doing this. It's a D&D-based tactical RPG, about 2 hours long: Demo Link

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015
  15. EliteKilljoy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Of course! I'll add you to my list. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2014
  16. EliteKilljoy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Linus
    By: blueperiod
    ★★★☆☆

Technicalities (2/5):[SIZE=10.5pt] Noticeable spots where rain stops before continuing. Sometimes, light effects would load in before the actual scene (and sometimes after the scene). Nice tutorial after the intro. Long-ish intro, but not necessarily boring. I like that there’s a “…” above people’s heads that you’re able to talk to and that it turns dark after you’ve spoken with them…nice touch. Tiny grammar errors, but nothing large.[/SIZE]

Scenery (4/5): Scenery is beautiful! Effects are nice. Sometimes a little dark, but it gives it dramatic effect. Map layout is nice.

Characters (5/5): Characters, even seemingly unimportant ones, add to the story. The player really feels for the characters, whether it be love, hate, etc. For example, I really hated these two characters who were unimportant to the story.

Story (3/5): The story is interesting so far. I quite enjoy it, really. It was a bit slow to get into, but I’m really rather happy with the way that it’s going.

Flow (2/5): Game runs a bit slow sometimes because of all of the effects.

Unique (3/5): There are several games that are vaguely the same as this one (land going to war against undefeatable enemy, etc.), but it has its own twist to it, too. It’s not horribly unique, but it is unique enough to be interesting.

Dialogue (4/5): Dialogue is interesting. It highlights important people and objects/places and gives information about the story, as well as flavor text. Not bad at all!

Music/Sounds (3/5): Music fits very well into the story, making it more dramatic. The sounds of the rain/waves/thunder/music is sometimes a bit distracting during dialogue.

Other Notes: Great game so far! I’m thinking of actually playing more than the first 30 minutes just for the fun of it! Awesome job! Please let me know how this goes for you! Keep me updated with the progression! :)

Total Score: 26/40

17. EliteKilljoy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Kaelan

I seem to be having some trouble with your demo link. Is there any other way you can send it to me? Thanks. :)

18. Kaelan

Kaelan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ah, sorry, that link doesn't point to the current version anymore. Here it is: Link.

19. EliteKilljoy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Okay awesome! I'll get to yours in the coming week.

20. EliteKilljoy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Flight of the Eagle
    by Tarsus
    ★★★☆☆
    Technicalities (4/5):[SIZE=10.5pt] VERY minor grammar mistakes. I would like to see names by the characters’ portraits, but that’s just me. Interesting collection “game” throughout the game (finding ID tags). I love that putting on armor changes the sprite’s appearance.[/SIZE]

Scenery (3/5): Cool backgrounds, though more detailed ones in the future would really add to it. Maybe try parallax mapping and have nice art for space backgrounds that aren’t just pixilated (it’s not bad as it is, but I think it would add to it)?

Characters (3/5): Characters are all unique from one another. Not all have the same personality, so that’s good. Some portraits are a little choppy and obviously photoshopped. Maybe get them cleaned up a little bit.

Story (2/5): I’m interested from the beginning, but not engrossed. As the game progresses, I get more and more interested. I’m interested to see where the story goes, but so far it just seems a bit like the typical “dude saves princess” and “important guy gets killed” type of thing.

Flow (5/5): The flow from one scene to another is very good.

Unique (2/5): The story itself is a typical “dude saves princess” and “important guy gets killed” type of thing, but I haven’t seen it done in space, really.

Dialogue (3/5): Dialogue is good. It’s sometimes a bit lame, but not bad. I would like to kind of see more expression in the dialogue (such as changing “That was gunfire.” to “That was gunfire!”).

Music/Sounds (3/5): Music is good, but I think there is more fitting music out there for the genre. Sounds are base-game sounds, but not awful. Tarsus said most music/sounds were placeholders.

Other Notes: Tarsus did tell me that the game was not nearly finished yet and that some placeholders were still in the game. Still, it is a pretty good game. I’m interested to see where the story goes and can’t wait to play more of it in the future, especially after the improvements listed above are resolved.

Total Score: 25/40

Tarsus likes this.