Beter to use multiple maps or do everything on the one if possible?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Hayden, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Hayden

Hayden Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've done a few episodes for this thing my studio is working on in RPG Maker MV. It's all set mostly in an inn. In the first ep, I had a part where a fire breaks out. I was less experienced at the time and the only way I knew how to handle that was to have it so I had separate copies of the inn maps and its rooms that had fire sprites in them.

I've since learnt other ways to handle this and know I could have done all this on the one map. My question is if it's better to use less maps or more? These games are short, so I doubt I'll ever put so many events in that it'll start to lag, but what if it were a 10-20 hour long game? Would you want to use more maps and duplicates of maps in that case?

Just wondering what the general, accepted practice might be.

Frogboy likes this.
  2. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Both approaches have their advantages and disadvantages. Multiple maps are nice because it simplifies and encapsulates your events so that things don't get out of control and unwieldy. One Map is also nice because changing the map doesn't require you changing two or three maps to keep them the same, along with events that don't change. I switch between the two and use the method I believe is most beneficial.

3. jwgz

jwgz Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Perhaps one thing to consider is that the engine might become laggy if there are too many events going on in a single map. In that sense, using multiple copies might be better (plus this also has the aforementioned convenience of keeping events in order; if you isolate the fire-related events to their own maps, it will make working with the "normal" maps a bit easier). Then again, if your game is short enough you may not have to worry about lag.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko and Frogboy like this.
  4. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    A bigger map might also cause more loading times especially if its parallaxed... Unless you're close to hitting the map limit, i'd say multiple maps all the way