Better Event Organization?

Hextasy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For my first game I wanted to make a sequence of events with branching paths in beginning area that determines what location you are moved to once the opening act is over, which NPCs will appear later on, and how they act towards the player. I feel that the map is getting quite cluttered with events, and the contents of those events are also a little difficult to sift through since they're just walls of text. Right now I have the events working as intended, but finding and fixing errors was troublesome. I considered using variables instead of switches to track event progress when moving between maps, but I don't know how well that would work with branching paths.

Does anyone have a preferred way to organize events, or any tips that might help? Any and all help is much appreciated.

ImaginaryVillain

Now A YouTube Cool Kid! =D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Hextasy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not 100% sure if an event cloner could help, as a majority of the events are unique, and the ones that aren't are just stand-ins for characters that I have appear by changing their through status and image with a movement route on a separate event. The event spawner looks like it could help clear out the event congestion on my maps and make finding and routing events a little easier, but it doesn't look to be compatible with TerraxLighting, which I did have plans on using. I'm still very new to all of this, so there might be something obvious that I'm missing.

The event cloner does look interesting though, what makes it different from just copy/pasting events?

Thank you for replying so quickly.

ImaginaryVillain

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Seeing as how I use Terrax Lighting with Galv Event Spawner, they are definitely compatible. If you are running into some issue between the two let us known and we can probably help.

As for the event cloner, the difference is that you only have to edit the master event. All of the copied events will reflect any changes you make to that master event. Whereas if you copy/pasted the event, you would need to edit each one. It's very handy for stuff like treasure boxes, doors, or some other kind of event that doesn't really change but you use a lot. Though if your events are unique then it's not very helpful.

Hextasy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I did manage to get Galv's Event Spawner working, some of the early comments on the page said it didn't work with Terrax, so that's definitely on me for not looking deeply enough into it.

Eliaquim

Raze: The Rakuen Zero's Guardian!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi! I think you can try TemplateEvent from the triacontane. With this, you can use a map template, and in the map, you are using, just put a note tag on the event that they will copy your template event from template map.
So if you find a bug, you only have to fix that in the template map, and they will be all reverted to the other maps.

As for conditional branches, I will advise for you do not do much-nested branches either Else statements. The page of the event turns on into a mess(unless the MV lets we expand the page size with the mouse... but, that's not possible...).
I think you can take advantage of the Label commands and Exit event commands:

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If I have a lot of events on one map, I will simply use the comments to describe what I'm doing within the event, and I'll give the event a name that makes sense to me.

ImaginaryVillain

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just do a "narrator' event, who spawns in whatever events are important to a scene. Then I just increment a scene variable so the narrator knows which scene we're on.

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nested branch is okay, just don't overdo it.
Contrary to my believe, I prefer avoid using labels or exit event processing unless it's urgent / debugging purpose. They are like temporary patch to overcome complicated event that in actuallity may causes more complication in further development. At least that's what I think.

If you are afraid of making complicated event, use new event page. Not enough? Use common event. Still not enough? Just duplicate the map. If you believe you don't have the power to handle it, don't be afraid to use alternative even if it cost you.
1582571669472.png

Before you start making your game, design your game first. Put any idea on the paper before the execution. Whatever how you designed your game, always separate it into small category scope. Everything that has progression can be turned into variable. Everything that used temporary can be reused. If you have 100 unique scene, turn it into 5x20 scene, or even better 5x4x5 scene. That way you got smaller number to handle. Got the idea?
1582572542218.png

At last, I don't know what's good for others but I used to make complicated event, mostly from making system. You may check out my tutorial (link on my signature) and figure how I do stuff.

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
'General Discussion' is not about implementation.
[MOVE]RPG Maker MV[/MOVE]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's my cute little ghost~
Minecraft Dungeons is a great example of a game that's much simpler than other games in its genre but almost as equally immersive and fun to play. Lotta RPGmaker devs could learn from that lesson.
Well, it's been a while since the last time I came here... Is there a JS scripting FAQ? I'd like to know what it's capable of achieving, and how :rswt
I love the Time Fantasy tiles, but haven't played anything made with it yet. Can anyone recommend me something?
Vote for what I show more indepth on Twitter tomorrow from the MZ default resources

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimmydark