StoryTeller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Better Left Closed - v 0.9

I'm building this game in response to the 1-map challenge (not sure if it's still active or not, but I was inspired). It best fits the survival-horror genre, although this is mainly due to tension and the immortality of the enemies.

I would love to get feedback on the core gameplay and mechanics.

Details below.

SECTION A: SYNOPSIS
  • Gather 5 fragments of your soul before the timer runs out.

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS
OverworldMap.png Shard.png Wraith.png

SECTION B: CHARACTERS
  • Nadia - Scared mother that has performed a forbidden ritual severing a piece of her soul to save her dying son.
  • Eryptis - Fairy familiar bound to Nadia. Her voice of encouragement.
  • The Wraiths - Evil spirits looking for a body with a fragmented soul to possess.

SECTION C: STORYLINE/PLOT
  • When Nadia's son Julian is plagued by the Curse of Nine and falls ill, Nadia knows the only way to save him is to cross the line into forbidden rituals. She opens the box and saves her son, but the price extracted is no less than her soul itself.. Now Nadia must travel through the forest and reclaim the pieces before her body fails, or worse, before it is claimed by the evil wraiths.

SECTION D: CURRENT STATE
Version 0.9 - Playable Demo for gameplay.

While you are welcome to offer feedback on anything you see, I would like to call out a few items that I know are obviously not complete:
  • Still some work to do on the opening sequences
  • Still some work to be done on the various "game-over" scenarios
  • Still some work to do related to sound effects and ambient noises
  • Sprites for the wraiths and souls are subject to change.

My main hope is to hear your thoughts on the gameplay itself. Too easy? Too hard? Did it inspire any nervousness? Were wraiths appropriately scary?

CREDITS
  • Yanfly - Numerous plugins
  • Hudell - HUD Plugin
  • FSM - Amazing tileset
  • Terrax - Lighting plugin
  • Atellier (MOG_Hunter) - Title Sequence plugins
  • Gamemaster Audio Sound Effects
  • Murray Atkinson - Musical Scores (Sinister Hollow)

DOWNLOAD LINK

Last edited:

BrandedTales

StoryTeller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Version 0.75 Released!
http://www.brandedtales.com/GameDev/BetterLeftClosed.zip

I'd still love to have some people test it and give me times to victory. Personal best is 1:20 left on the clock... But I've played it a bunch so I'd like to see how easy/difficult it is for others!

• New Title Screen
  • Music and some sound effects
  • Some ambiance changes to make the feel a little spookier
  • Removed the opening cinematic to get you into the game faster
  • Some minor graphical updates

I am going to clean up the opening text to make it more readable.
Still need to clean up the tutorial
Portraits could use some work! They are too cheerful.
I know some work needs to be done on the game-over segments (all 3 ways to end the game).
I'd like to play around with some more ambient noise.
I would still like to do more with the title page/menu options.

BrandedTales

StoryTeller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Version 0.90 is now up and available!

We're really honing in on the end.

• Reworked opening sequence
  • Reworked tutorial
  • Added some content to the game-overs
  • Face updates
  • Wraiths now hiss as they get closer to you
  • Did some cosmetic updates to the world map
  • Cleaned up the timer to make it easier
  • Shrines indicate better when they are activated

• I still want to get some work done on the opening sequence. I like the tutorial, but the intro needs work.
  • Still need to finish up the closing sequences. I want to show better the final timer count when you win.
  • Credits page needs to be available

We're really creeping in on the end here! Please try it and let me know so I can tell if balance adjustments need to be made.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

For anyone interested: there's another huge humble bundle with JRPG assets + a game jam starting next month - it's for a good cause, so check it out <3
Turning a specific vibe into reality is incredibly difficult. For instance, this song is one of the ones I listen to when working on my post apocalyptic project, and getting it's "feeling" into the game has been a real challenge.

I don't just wanna regurgitate the numbers I see, I wanna actually understand the calculations I'm making so I'm probably gonna make a post later with some calculations and what I THINK they mean to get some advice and corrections.

Edit: All (Most) of these will be tested in game prior. I just wanna make sure I understand what's going on under the hood if you will.
my girlfriend calls all my little chibi art cute lol... funny considering that wasn't the original art style of the game.
100 problems in RMMZ 100 more problems take one down pass it around 101 Problems in RMMZ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traviscot