StoryTeller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A

TitleScreen.png

Better Left Closed is my survival-horror entry into the One-Map Challenge. You play the role of a young woman that has made a terrible choice in order to save her son's life. Unfortunately, you've released monstrous wraiths into the world and the only thing that can stop them has been shattered into 5 pieces. Now, you need to collect those five pieces while avoiding the wraiths, and do this all before time runs out!

The game takes less than 6 minutes to play, but hopefully has good replayability! Please try it out and let me know what you think!

SCREENSHOTS
Enjoy the beautiful First Seed Material tileset!

83354-0518c3932b20cb20b75605e89d3da086.png

83355-a3b6fb8d3429a6f67076f384d61efa8f.png

83356-ced02e14e8c15e7482c186037a2186e4.png

DOWNLOAD LINK
Download the game here as deployed from RPGMaker:
http://www.brandedtales.com/GameDev/BetterLeftClosed.zip

Or, if you prefer, download the installer:
http://www.brandedtales.com/GameDev/blc_setup.exe

CHARACTERS

• Nadia_portrait.png Nadia - Our hero! She's made a terrible mistake and opened a door to a dark and terrible world, but will she be able to get the pieces back in time to close it?!

• Eryptis_portrait.pngEryptis - Her Fairy Familiar... A worrying little sprite that just wants the best for her companion, and serves as a voice of knowledge!

CREDITS
Plugins: Yanfly, Terrax, Atelier RGSS (MogHunter), SumRndmDde
Sound: Murray Atkinson, Gamemaster Audio

Please provide any and all feedback! This is the first game I've taken over the finish line and I'd love to hear thoughts!

BrandedTales

StoryTeller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks for those who have downloaded and played it. There has been a few minor tweaks based on your feedback!

1) The main character face now more closely matches her sprite.
2) The timer is now called out more explicitly in the tutorial.
3) A bug some people encountered at the end of the game has been fixed.

padr81

Guy whose game is taking too long.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Had a blast through this and I couldn't find any of the shards.

I did find some glowing light things on top of stones on the ground, but when I pressed enter on them, I got healed our something but if they were supposed to be shards I didn't collect them.

I really loved the way you did the effect of
the world coming apart, the player getting suddenly and randomly pushed more and more forcefully as the timer wound down. The light closing in.

This game really does create the tension really well and I found myself getting more and more rushed and panicked as the time ticked on.
Good stuff.

BrandedTales

StoryTeller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks for trying it out!

The shards are actually little flames. Did you use the pg-down or click on the icon in the bottom left to get arrow directions to the shards?

Glad you liked the tension!

padr81

Guy whose game is taking too long.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks for trying it out!

The shards are actually little flames. Did you use the pg-down or click on the icon in the bottom left to get arrow directions to the shards?

Glad you liked the tension!

Completely missed that lol, I'm slow. I'll playthrough again tonight on my break from course work.

SolonWise

The Lonely Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've played your game last weekend with my girlfriend. She tried three times and could not find any shards. I tried it twice and could only find one. Maybe we are just terrible in find things in the dark, or maybe your game is very difficult. :D

Nevetherless, it is a great entry for a one map challenge. I like survival horror games, and its rare to find this genre in rpg maker games.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

1,Randomly generate events with planted spawner events(great flexibility for customization and auto-match player's level)
2,Randomly enter roguelike dungeon
3,Player can exit dungeon or back to town or choose to challenge BOSS at the end of each dungeon
4,Dungeon maps can be randomly generated by a third-party tool
Got locked out of the house yesterday... best friends who had the spare ghosted me. Locksmith had to literally drill thru the lock bc they couldn't pick it. Whole process took 4 hours and far too much money. And they have to come back next week bc they don't have the right cylinder, cause it's an old interlocking lock. I'm livid lol
 I’m probably going to regret this, but I need kobolds for my project and I’ve decided to sprite them myself. This is Attempt #1, front view only.

KoboldFront.gif
It's a shame that Selection Control will not be ported to MZ. I found a neat way of using it to enable ways for tanks to protect squishies. lol
Lately I have been taking a break from game and resource making so I won't get burnt out. But I am also interested in the Game Jams this site periodically holds. It'd be great if I knew when the next one, if any, is planned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slashqian