Better Looking Text?

Discussion in 'RGSS3 Script Requests' started by sutorumie, Sep 25, 2015.

1. sutorumie

sutorumie I'm a whimsical girl. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I want the space/padding between lines of text to be much smaller. So instead of this:

[​IMG]

We get this:

[​IMG]

As a side note, can I fix the font so it looks closer to the second image (which was made in photoshop)? Because WOW it looks 100x better--it shrinks better, it's aliased better... (I don't need help getting the text to fit width-wise, I just haven't adjusted it yet)

EDIT: Okay I've been messing around with Window_Base and came up with this:

[​IMG]

All I did was change a few numbers. I'm actually annoyed at how simple this was, because I've been stuck on this for SO LONG

My original side question still stands, though. How can I improve the font quality (make it look like that second image)? I've tried Mithran's text cache but it crashes my game and in fresh projects, it doesn't solve anything.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2015
  2. kiddeath95

kiddeath95 Lead Trainie Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You could always just do a picture display of that image.

3. sutorumie

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ...With every piece of text? That's literally hundreds, if not thousands, of them :\ Not to mention the menu text, battle text, shop text, etc.

4. MeowFace

MeowFace Meow Veteran

First Language:
    Meowish
    I am not sure what you mean by improving the quality. The fonts are drawn to a bitmap before they are printed on the screen. Mithran's script only do that before hand in a cache and keep them there to be retrieved later, that script also fix the rect draw size as i recall. That actually prevent a lot of hidden crash a custom font usually gets. I am not sure why you are having compatible problem with his script, but it's best to keep his and get rid of the other conflict script if you are using custom fonts imo.. it helps to prevent a lot of future stress when building your games using custom fonts.

To change a font size, well.. i believe you found your line in window_base. You can also change bold to true to make them "thicker" like your 2nd picture.

And to prevent "shrinking" of texts, you will need to adjust the rect width of draw text.

Fonts are drawn into bitmap before they get shrunk by the system, that's why you found some custom font looks ugly in a long text that get squeezed to fit the rect box.

5. sutorumie

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Honestly, a lot of times when I'm reading things, my eyes glaze over for various reasons--with that script, all I thought about it was "This is a font fix. For what? I dunno. Let's try it anyway." which I've done with plenty of similar scripts. I'm not even totally sure what your explanation of it means. I don't ruby good (and I have no interest in keeping that script--I've never had a problem with font crashes, so the only stress I'll be getting is from visuals)

I don't need the font size to be changed. I don't know why you thought I did? Bolding it looks awful, and is not even what I did in photoshop in the first place. It is completely the same, font size and all. But RMVXA renders it terribly, while photoshop makes it look perfect. Would you happen to have any idea how I can fix whatever RMVXA is doing to it? Or is this bitmap BS hardcoded... wehhh.

Otherwise, I'll be looking into making an sfont, even though I hate the process (so tedious).

"And to prevent "shrinking" of texts, you will need to adjust the rect width of draw text."

What does this mean (in simple words, please) and how do I do it? I'll try anything.

6. Farr

Farr Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    You could try using Yanfly Message System or ModernAlgebra(?).

Killozapit Word Wrapping is also good for any message system.

They have highly customizable message systems.

7. sutorumie

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have all three of those. They don't affect the way the font renders (they're not supposed to, either).

8. Zarby

Zarby Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    unfortunatly i think you can't change the way rpg maker render fonts, font size is always smaller in rpg maker than any other painting tools, you can try to increase size a little, you could use a sprite font (font made from image) or change your current font, some fonts do not render well with rpg maker :(

9. sutorumie

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I went ahead and made an sfont, so the problem (for this project, anyway) is solved.