Beyond the Storm - now with demo

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Tarsus, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Tarsus

Tarsus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is my first ever game made in rpg maker, and for some reason I decided to be super ambitious but i did come into this with years of experience coding and scripting.

Synopsis:

The Quiet Sea is a place unlike any other, yet the people who live their have never seen beyond it.  Bordered on 3 sides by inhospitable wastelands and dense impassible jungles, anyone who has ever ventured over land to look for a new world has never returned, but that is nothing compared to what is to the East, the Storm Wall.  A hurricane raging for over 1000 years, of immense size and strength, it stretches from the frozen north to the arid south and stands 5 miles high, even approaching it is suicide for any but the strongest ships and bravest sailors.

But when suddenly the storm begins to swell and change, creatures of legend begin to enter the Quiet Sea.  With the Union is tatters after the destruction of its fleet, the people turn to their final hope, a pirate hated by the Union and one of the greatest captains to have ever lived, the Sea Hawk.

Characters:

[​IMG]

The Sea Hawk:

Real name Ben Fisher, and sometimes also known simply as Hawk.

Hawk is one of the most well known pirates to have ever lived, he is hated within the Union as he almost exclusively attacks their shipping leaving all others alone.  Despite this he doesn't use violence to get what he wants and almost always allows his captives to go free, after relieving them of their gold of course.

[​IMG]

Mercy:

One of the crew on the Princess, Mercy is a close friend of Hawk.  After being saved from a group of slavers she owes Hawk her life and acts as his bodyguard and the First mate on the Princess, Despite appearances she is as tough as they come, and although she denies is the other crew will happily share stories about the time she bit a mans nose off in a bar fight.

The Princess:

The Princess is Hawks ship and is possibly the best known ship on Quiet Sea.  She is named after a golden figurehead in the form of a woman, at least 2 other ships have used the statue and name before the current Princess, the origins of the statue are unknown to Hawk and his crew.

The Princess was once a Union built Carrack that was stolen right from under their noses on the day it was due to launch by the pirate Red Jim.  Jim already in possession of the gold Princess fitted it to the front of his new ship and so the third Princess was born.  Hawk acquired it less than a year later in a failed mutiny attempt that left Jim injured and his first mate dead.

The current crew of the Princess includes:

Hawk - Captain

Mercy - First mate

Old Pete - Cook

Berry - Storm Seer
    Features:

Naval battles:

The Princess is Hawks ship and is as important to the story as any other character.  Its crew will fight along side you in regular fights and you can even use the Princess herself in battle.

Although the ship has locked stats, you can upgrade her with new equipment and by hiring additional crew you can unlock new abilities and skills to use in battle

[​IMG]
    Screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As I said, I am still very early in development and should be posting updates as often as possible. I should have a video up within a week and a playable demo soon after.

Some artwork and scripts are not my own, but I am working to replacing them with my own versions as I progress.

Let me know what you think,

DEMO NOW AVAILABLE

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4euqxguomd7jwg/beyond%20the%20storm%20-%20v0.1.exe?dl=0

requires RTP

CREDITS:

Overlay mapping and speech bubble scripts - Yami

Animated Battler script - Galv

Damage Popup script - V.M of D.T

The original ship map was not by me, I dont know the creator.  If anyone knows then please tell me.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2014
    The Stranger, Tobiasu and hiromu656 like this.
  2. hiromu656

hiromu656 Praise the Sun (Arcana) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This looks really awesome, can't say that I've seen many RM Games like it (the Ship system for the most part). Do you have any more Features planned for the game? Mainly, things you can do when you aren't on a Ship?

3. Tarsus

Tarsus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Updated first post with 2 more character profiles.

I haven't got as much work on this done as i would have hoped as other things have come up, and with destiny out tomorrow i imagine its going to be the same again next week but I'm not going to let the project die and work is getting done. 

I have almost finished the entire prologue section which i'm hoping to use as my demo, the only downside is it includes no ship interaction so i may add something to the end of it to show that feature off.  I just need to finish two more animated battler sheets and a couple of sprites.

When not on the ship the game will play like a regular RPG, and even the sections on board ship will still allow you to move around the decks and talk to your crew, but with the world map being 90% water the ships are going to play a key role.

4. ianbach

ianbach Zombie Master Member

First Language:
    english
    Looks really cool do you have a list of scripts you are using and any scripts other than the one I downloaded?

Also do you have a demo for the game / or script ??? I would love download it and check it out so I can understand how to make script work on game i am making

2 thumbs up so far looks way cool....

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014
  5. Tarsus

Tarsus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Its been a while since I have updated this.  I haven't really added any more content since my last post, but I have refined the work I have and also have a demo available to play.

The demo is only about 5-10 minutes log but sets up the story and allows you to take part in both land and sea battles.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4euqxguomd7jwg/beyond%20the%20storm%20-%20v0.1.exe?dl=0

On the subject of story, that's the main reason I have more or less abandoned this game project.  I had a story laid out in my mind but as I tried to implement it into the game it turned out to be more difficult than i thought.  If anyone would like to help me out with this I would be very thankful.

For now this game is on hold and im going to be using the scripts I made in a new project, one that I have put way more work into in terms of story and background.  I have nothing to show for this yet as I don't want to waste hours coding/drawing only for it not to come together like this game has.

I hope you will have a go with the demo, and I would like your feedback, especially about the ship combat script, as that is what im taking with me into me next project.