RM Student
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey everyone,

How do you go about setting BGM and BGS for each of your map? Do you event it, or do you put in map edit?
I want to know the best practice for this. Sorry for noob question :rswt

Thanks,

Last edited:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I put it in the map properties if I always want that BGM to play on that map.

If I sometimes want it not to play, or want a different BGM to play based on what's happened in the game, I won't put a BGM on the map properties (but I will check the autoplay button, so it stops the previous BGM), and I'll use a parallel process event that plays the correct BGM depending on a conditional branch, and then erases itself.

The problem you have when you put it in map properties then want to change it with an event is that the map properties BGM will start to play first, before the event gets a chance to run, so you'll hear the original BGM very briefly, and it'll then be replaced with the one you really want to play.

Indra

RM Student
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you @Shaz

So I guess it's common to have each one of our map's autoplay BGM checked? And have it unchecked in a case by case situation. I thought it was the other way around.

What about if we want a certain map to have certain screen tint and weather, do we make a parallel event for this, and switch it off when we transfer?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
'Game Mechanics Design' is for looking at aspects of game play at a more conceptual level. "How do I...?" (implementation) questions belong in the Support forum for the engine you are using.

[move]RPGMaker MV[/move]

Indra

RM Student
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
'Game Mechanics Design' is for looking at aspects of game play at a more conceptual level. "How do I...?" (implementation) questions belong in the Support forum for the engine you are using.

[move]RPGMaker MV[/move]
Okay @Kes thanks for moving the thread in the correct place

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The checkbox on the map properties will cause the BGM to stop playing. So if you have several maps that are linked, you could leave the box unchecked and leave the BGM unselected, and the BGM will just continue playing from one map to the next.

And yes, screen tint and weather also continue from one map to the next. Pictures are the same. Once you start them, they hang around until you specifically turn them off.

So you will have a parallel process event on your map that will tint the screen, start the weather, or show the picture. Then the event will erase itself (the effect will run until you turn it off, so you don't need the event to hang around - not erasing it could cause lag). Then on the exit events where you want it to stop, you'll remove it.

Indra

RM Student
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah, yes, thank you @Shaz.

One last thing, just to make sure.

So you will have a parallel process event on your map that will tint the screen, start the weather, or show the picture. Then the event will erase itself (the effect will run until you turn it off, so you don't need the event to hang around - not erasing it could cause lag). Then on the exit events where you want it to stop, you'll remove it.
That means we need to have a specific switch controlled in the transfer event to erase it, (because we can't control the parallel events self-switch outside of itself) am I correct?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I never said anything about self switches or switches. If you want it to happen again the next time you enter the map, you definitely want to stay away from self switches.

Indra

RM Student
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you want it to happen again the next time you enter the map, you definitely want to stay away from self switches.
Noted, Shaz. So how do we erase the parallel event automatically when we exit the map?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You don't erase it when you exit the map. You should have erased it IN the event itself, immediately after playing the BGM.

I'll use a parallel process event that plays the correct BGM depending on a conditional branch, and then erases itself.

Indra

RM Student
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV

EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For most cases, I set the autoplay BGM on map properties.

The only time you might want to use evented BGM is when you create a cutscene,
or changing BGM based on conditions like @Shaz said.
What kind of effect you specifically want to achieve? :D

Indra

RM Student
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For most cases, I set the autoplay BGM on map properties.

The only time you might want to use evented BGM is when you create a cutscene,
or changing BGM based on conditions like @Shaz said.
What kind of effect you specifically want to achieve? :D
Nothing but the basic actually.

But I'm just curious about what Shaz mentioned above, about erasing a parallel event from inside the event itself, immediately after it plays BGM, so that when we exit the map, the event will automatically be erased, and reappear when we reenter the map. Still confused, but trying to understand.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Erase Event erases the event for the rest of the time you're on the map. It isn't a permanent erase. When you leave the map and return, the event will be reloaded.

You use this technique on (among other things) parallel process events where you are setting up something when you first enter the map, but you do not want the event to keep looping (as parallel process & autorun events do by default) for the entire time you're on the map. Because BGM, tint, weather, pictures only need a single command to activate them, you do not need the event to continue running, executing the command all the time. So you add an Erase Event command (on the 2nd event commands tab) so the parallel process event gets erased and does not keep repeating its commands for the rest of the time you're on the map.

If you use a self switch and another page conditioned by the self switch, the event will NEVER run again. Sometimes you want this. Sometimes you don't.

You might find it beneficial to go through some tutorials about events, event pages, and parallel/autorun triggers.

Or, if you only want the basic, just use map properties and forget about parallel process events until you actually need them. You're more likely to understand them when you have an actual reason to use them.

Indra

RM Student
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the explanation, @Shaz

Or, if you only want the basic, just use map properties and forget about parallel process events until you actually need them. You're more likely to understand them when you have an actual reason to use them.
Yes, you're right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

If you enjoy speed mapping for RPG Maker MV check out my YouTube Channel. My latest video includes custom made tiles which makes a simple map look dynamic!

Check out my short game Hikari's World! : Chapter I, on itch.io/games.
An actual dwarf with an actual axe is not so fascinating as the fantasy counterpart...
I'm so back and forth on pre-ording MZ. I can totally wait for a better deal down the road (since I don't need the extras and waiting to see how YEP plugins turn out) but there's something about the fun in playing with "a new toy".
:rheh:
Who knew a adding menu commands would be so hard for something that should be a basic feature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frostybox