Shinma

Lurker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Back in college some fellow students and I used to have a weekly challenge in whatever editing software that we were learning at the time. What we would do is either take a photo and do some recolors or describe a scene and have everyone create something based on the scene. The idea behind it is to showcase differing perspectives, which will hopefully translate into a better insight and understanding of how other people see an area and improve your mapping skills. I know we have a mapping and screenshots thread, but that's more for showing off individual creations and I don't want to water it down with this. See below for details on the challenge for this thread:

• I will describe a scene below. You will interpret the scene however you want and make a map based upon the description that I give.
  • The map can have as many or as few details as you want, as long as you express the scene.
  • Submissions should be in as soon as you feel you have completed the scene, but no later than either June 30th.
  • If you are new, or fall behind, please feel free to complete prior challenges. We will be happy to see them.
  • To help prevent influencing other people's blank canvas, please post your submission and explanation inside a spoiler tag.
  • Have fun with it, seriously, it's why this challenge is here. :smile:

Scene:
You awake and thank the Fates that you were not discovered while you were unconscious. You're first thoughts are that the bandits may still be nearby and you decide you need to find some sort of refuge until you can formulate a plan. You explore a bit and stumble upon "your mapped scene", where you feel like you'll be safe for a bit.

Previous Story Challenges:

June 15th:

You were part of a trade caravan travelling from location to location. On this day, as night was falling and the caravan was preparing to settle in for the night, it was suddenly ambushed. The guards held them off as best as they could, but towards the end one of them yelled for you to run and pushed you forward. You instantly took off, but in this foreign land you had no idea where to go. The longer you ran the darker it became. You entered a wooded area and heard water flowing nearby so you took off towards it. Suddenly the ground disappeared out from under your feet and you fell forward over the edge, as you landed you lost consciousness.

Morning dawns and finds you laying where you landed.

This is your scene. Please post your images in spoilers. I hope everyone enjoys!

Previous Random Challenges:

May 31st Challenge:

For this next scene, let's make a Church or Temple, you decide on which. Part One is the exterior of the Church/Temple and Part Two is the interior. You all can choose whether to submit both entries together or spread them out during the month. Also, you are not limited to making the exterior and the interior match, but kudos to you if you go that route.

April 30th Challenge:
This challenge comes as a suggestion from @Guiguimu . Map out a war scene. How you do it is, of course, up to you as the point is to showcase differing perspectives and point of views from people other than yourselves.

April 15th Challenge:

Scene:
This has always been a favorite one of mine - a kobold, orc or goblin merchant. You set the scene, but he has to be an outcast. He can be in a village, forest, cave, etc. all up to you.

March 2017 Challenge:

Submissions should be in as soon as you feel you have completed the scene, but no later than March 31st.

Scene:
A hermit built his cabin outside of town many years ago. Although he loves being away from the hustle and bustle of a village, he also thoroughly enjoys entertaining guests. Map the exterior of his dwelling in the woods.

Last edited:

mara_vertin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, I think this is a great idea. Nice theme for the first scene, too. Mapping isn't actually my strong side but maybe I will give it a try. :)

Shinma

Lurker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Since we have just over a week to go I thought I would stop in to see how everyone is doing with this? I am trying to stay within the RTP for this challenge, which isn't the easiest thing to do. Who knows, I might decide against going full RTP on it to spice it up, but we will see where I end up.

mara_vertin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yay, I made it! ... Well, at least I made something. :unsure:

Eremit.jpg

Nothing too special and technically it's no cabin in the woods, so I hope it counts.

Again Constantin drives Celest half crazy because everyone drinks tea - except him. The eremit thinks it's hilarious.

Credits: Pandamaru, hiddenone, wthdragon, Indrah and takenflyght!

Last edited:

ashikai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Does it have to be RTP? Cuz this seems like a fun challenge and an external motivation for me to build out more iso tilesets... o-o;

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@mara_vertin Being able to see part of a chair through the cave opening is a nice touch.
@Princess Bananabelle Very logical to have a camp fire when there's no chimney. One thing, though, would be to have a gate into the chicken run - how else will you look after them?

Shinma

Lurker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ashikai No, it doesn't have to be RTP. Any tiles that you have will work just fine.

Constraining myself to the RTP was a bit rough, but I pulled it off a bit. I will definitely include non-rtp in the next challenge.

Going on the theme that he likes to entertain, I set up an outdoor cooking area. Imagining that it's an outdoor, wood-burning stove. Then added in an eating area nearby. Of course there are always nights around a campfire for smores and marshmellows! And don't forget fishing nearby.

I really like the other entries, as well.

@mara_vertin It's close enough to a cabin in the woods to count. In fact, it works well as it helps to showcase one of the things that I am trying to shine some light on: Not everyone interprets/envisions things the same way as everyone else. As Kes pointed out, that chair inside being visible is a very nice touch.

@Princess Bananabelle Nice work! I too went for the log cabin approach, thinking that he likely built it himself, and the tree stumps help to add to that thought. I didn't think about adding chickens, but that is definitely something I think someone in this position would do, good thinking!

We still have some time left on this one, but I want to thank everyone that participates. I really appreciate it, and look forward to seeing this topic grow.

I am also very open to ideas for the next mapping challenge, even from people that didn't/weren't able to participate in this one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kes Now that you mention it, that's a good point. Now that think about it, it probably would have been better to build them a coup without a fence and let them free range. A fence isn't going to provide them shelter, nor really keep them contained. I have a chicken who can easily fly 6 feet.
@Shinma I forgot about firewood, he should have a stockpile in case of bad weather. I like how you had the tree at the top right hang over the fence.

I really want this to continue, the theme idea is a lot of fun!

Guiguimu

Walking Disaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Here is my submission... Is nothing fancy, but I hope it fits the theme.

The hermit is entertaining his guests :p
I'm not really good at mapping so I hope I did enough...

@Shinma I really like that cozy meal area, but it looks to me that someone might have burned his meal once or twice XD And great idea about the fishing. Since he lives away from the village, it's hard to get food.
@mara_vertin Like Kes said, that chair was a nice touch. Your picnic area seems... Yummy XD
@Princess Bananabelle fresh eggs every morning! How did I forgot that!? Nice idea!

Fun contest, thank you for bringing this up! And I agree with Princess Bananabelle, this should be continued. We can always learn more with this themed contests!

Attachments

mara_vertin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really like seeing all these different interpretations for one theme. Nice! :kaojoy:

@Princess Bananabelle Cool idea having chickens and fields near the nice little cabin. My eremit will live from sunlight or rocks I suppose ... :kaoswt:

@Shinma Fields and a fishing spot? Cool. Your eremit seems to be some Maître de Cuisine who left the trouble of his luxus kitchen for a stress free life.

@Guiguimu Awwww (that's really all I have to say). Love the XP graphics, the sunlight and your map in general. And his guests are animals! That's unbeateble. :kaoluv:

Shinma

Lurker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Guiguimu It very much fits the theme, good job! I really like your interpretation of "guests", great spin on it! I particularly like the privacy style fence in front of the garden.

I will post a new challenge up shortly, look for the new thread. Again, thank you all for participating. I look forward to the next entries!

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Shinma I'm wondering about a new thread per challenge - it's going to be difficult to differentiate them by title. An alternative would be to keep this thread going, but putting the current challenge at the top of the opening post (after a word of explanation), with past challenges put in spoilers. The topic title could then be changed as appropriate e.g. "Mapping Challenge (April)". Just an idea to play around with.

Shinma

Lurker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was thinking about doing it bi-weekly to keep the interest going. I was going to title them along the line that Michael Galefire did with is battlers: Bi-Weekly Mapping Challenge "Date".

It won't let me change the title, so I would need you or another Mod to handle that if I kept it in the same thread. I like the idea though, as people could see progress and previous challenges.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As long as you remind me I can edit the title. I like the bi-weekly + date idea.

Shinma

Lurker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The new challenge is up. I am looking forward to the submissions!

Submissions for this challenge are due by April 15th.

Last edited:

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Princess Bananabelle This was so completely not what I was expecting! Well done. The teddy bear is the perfect touch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally the new pc is working!! But it seems a lost my license to Windows 10 because of the hardware changing :(
Tune in next time for our newest Episode: "PC issues return! Palm uses every swear in the lexicon!"
gotta update my game project thread page later
So trying out Ultra Mode 7 was a bad idea. How do I not include this in my game? XD
Stumbled upon an RPG Maker game on Steam called 'Boobs vs Zombies' while looking for a zombie themed fantasy RTS. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fr34ksh0w_w1ll0w