• Total voters

marsatche

Strawbebby
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yo fellas! I'm writing the story of mha protagonists, in hopes for some inspiration to make their skills in game. ((But mostly it's just for story ahaha~))

I need some writing advice — or rather,
criticism, to keep my gear going.
Because I'm an only child, I can barely attach myself to real life examples of how siblings interact on a personal level. I only think of the "good" things like sharing a meal, crying together, playing together.

But I know that their key conflicts are lacking. The relatable sibling rivalry with jealousy, hate, calling out on one another? Completely absent.

Since it's been bogging my head, I managed to write this base.

Big brother dude is well around 18 cycles, and he lost his entire family during a war. While he surely can fend for himself, he became pretty introverted and aloof because of it, with all sorts of gloomy perception towards life.

But he then traveled to a shelter, and met with these two children who don't have any parents. Basically they became such close friends that their bond is inseparable. A "they need me, I need them" kind of mutualism.

I'm determined to make my protag adopt them as his siblings in a sense, so he can finally obtain a new purpose in life.

These sisters are 8 cycles old, born 3 days apart from each other. No one knows where they're from, and they must face emotional neglect at the shelter they live in— other students would check up on them for food or give toys, but nobody's holding their personal custody. They have trouble fitting in with the other children and misbehave a lot. It's more of a comical effect than a sad story, though.

Because of it, the older one (Ally) is a sensitive little mutt that has a short fuse, can't communicate well, and tries to force people to give what she wants.

The younger one (Olly) is a dense kid who's pretty good at breaking the ice, but snitches on people she doesn't like because she has trouble dealing with empathy and feels lonely all the time. She has a hard time deciding her true colors.

After the sisters and Big Bro met, Ally becomes attached and jealous around him, while Olly is trying to get Ally's attention back.

So they're not really human. Their species are much more skillful compared to humans. (Think of them cliche genius/crazy talented kids.) They can be really smart beyond their years, (1 cycle = 3 years) but they really lack emotional intelligence, so they'll still act out their cycle age.

I've made the humans pretty much um, hate this species and want to hunt them down, to ensure the safety of mankind. The whole war, in fact, is because of the hunt between them (plus adding on top of like, actual World War.) That's why this "shelter" exists.

So, children like them can actually manage from being given basic necessities, but how will they raise themselves without a real parental figure?

Then, how deep is the patience and reasoning of a big brother, compared to an actual parent? How would he overcome his own needs and emotions to care for these children?

Also, how should I develop the sisters to become their own unique persons? All I did was make them either similar or opposite to each other.

Thanks for any input given! >3<☆

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know your world lore and setting so I can't comment on the general feel and the bonds and feelings that come with it. But I can try to answer some of your question (I have a little brother).

So, children like them can actually manage from being given basic necessities, but how will they raise themselves without a real parental figure?
Again, it depends on your setting. Is it a drama/psychological game? Comedy? Action? Post apocalyptic world? Medieval? The setting can greatly influence the answer to that question. If you're aiming at the serious/drama feeling, then they probably had to learn to survive and wouldn't be really cheerful or in a playing mood.

Then, how deep is the patience and reasoning of a big brother, compared to an actual parent? How would he overcome his own needs and emotions to care for these children?
Depends on the person, and even the culture. I grew up in a pretty Asian family (South China & Vietnamese, country people, not city) and in our culture the eldest child is that looks out for the younger siblings. We are generally more patient than the parents. So if a younger sibling screws something up, the mother might get mad, but the older brother will try to reason with the mom to protect the younger sibling. Stuff like that.

Also, how should I develop the sisters to become their own unique persons? All I did was make them either similar or opposite to each other.
There's nothing wrong in giving them opposite personalities, since that will create a clear contrast between them. Just remember to develop them as individual characters and not as a pair.

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I am dealing with this question as well in my post-apocalyptic game, but it's an older brother and younger sister, who are both young adults. I have a brother, but no sisters, so I really have no idea how a sister would act like in reality.

The brother has taken care of them both since their parents died, and is overprotective of his sister as a result. He is jaded and cynical because of the world they live in, and doesn't have much faith in other people. He tries to be a replacement for their parents, but ends up stifling his sister by not allowing her out of their small town.
The sister is much more optimistic than he is, and is generally a much better person.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Free RPG Maker Ready Charging Up Animation

Enjoy -No Credit Needed But Appreciated -
Download it at https://lvgames.itch.io/free-charging-up-pixel-animation-fx-rpg-maker-ready
:/ .... so, thought I’d go to the park to sit in the cool breeze and get out of the house a little. Nope, guess that’s quarantined too. Ok...
How do you do when you want to work on projects but the game companies make so many games available for free because of the quarantine?
Kes
I have just stepped down from being a Mod, so please don't send me any more pm's with Mod questions. Thanks
Made a brief video showcasing early game play... Got a copyright claim by BIG UP! (https://big-up.style/) for using music I bought from here (Future Steam Punk Pack). Now I wonder if I should strip any purchased music from here out of my game. :LZSskeptic:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truvirian