yamashta

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello! I'm completely and utterly new to the art of RPG Maker.

I'd like to make a game SIMILAR in functioning to Yume Nikki or Ib, where fighting isn't exactly a part of the game, but MAYBE a HP system is ( player get's 'attacked', lowers health, has to 'find' something to replenish it ). I'd also like to, if possible, have it be as simple and flat looking as possible. Kind of like the older pokemon games.

( naturally I'd want things to be in color, though. )

Basically not super duper fancy, pretty flat looking like mentioned above. Only directions are up, down, and to either side. No complex isometric directions ( SW, SE, NE, NW ). Pretty much how Yume Nikki and Ib are.

I'd like to make the sprites and scenery ( floors, buildings, walls, items, inventory menu, startup menu, etc. ) myself. I'm an artist who feels I'm ( relatively ) okay at pixelling enough to make something that doesn't look too bad. I'd also like to incorporate my own music, preferably old school sounding 8-bit midi files and similar sound effects.

I simply don't know where to start or how to go about doing it. I feel as if I'd need templates to work with ( image templates to either draw on top of or to edit/add on to ), or something along those lines. I'm VERY bad at anything involving numbers, so simple pixel by pixel dimensions being listed ( ex: You'll need a so-and-so image at 14x40 ) are very confusing for me, as well as just about any kind of coding/scripting. ;_;

Basically, I want to make a very simple game but I don't have the comprehension ability to do so without help, so... I guess I'm posting here to hopefully get some super basic, easy-to-understand worded advise/walkthroughs/info/etc. I'm pretty sure I've got a learning disability when it comes to anything relating to numbers at all ( addresses, phone numbers, pin numbers, coding, math, measurements, etc. ) so I have a feeling this whole process is going to be very difficult for me...

If anything, could people please explain to me and/or post links to resources? I've scanned the tutorials and resources and I guess what I was hoping for exactly wasn't there. :x Oops.

I currently have the free version of RPG Maker VX Ace ( lite ).

Thanks for reading and (hopefully) helping!

If I'm posting this in the wrong place or if I'm doing anything wrong, please delete or move to the proper place. I think I might be mildly dyslexic to a degree, sometimes I honestly cannot find where I need to be putting posts on sites...

Sorry in advance if I've done something wrong!

lolshtar

Master of Magic thatknow nospell
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Start with some tutorials on google as to how eventing work.

you will need to work with numbers a bit but it's really basic math.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You're all good, you have posted in the right place

I would say your best place to start off is to take the default tiles and work with them a little, manipulate the images and take parts of tiles and combine them to make new tiles. Once you are comfortable with that then move onto creating your own tiles and importing fresh tile sheets, and sprite sheets. There are a lot of tutorials for making them out there as well as templates, this one has both here.

And I know you said that you don't do well with the numbers and I don't mean to confuse you but as a reference point, ever tile and sprite is 32 by 32 pixels, so that will be the size you are working with for everything.

As far as everything else goes, there will be a lot of math involved so your best bet really would be to team up with someone who has the same or similar vision for a game as you do who is better at the code side of things but not very good at graphics and then work together to produce a game as a team. That way you don't have to dive into the bit that sounds like would quite frankly stop you dead in your tracks, while still progressing and seeing the game grow right before your eyes.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Scanning the tutorials is not the best use of them.  If you click on 'Support' at the top of this page and select Tutorials from the drop down menu, you will get to the official tutorials.  My suggestion is that you actually make the game that is described in that tutorial.  Just reading it (or any other tutorial, for that matter) won't give you half the help that actually using the information in a structured way will.  It'll only take a short time to do it that way (though obviously longer than just reading), but you will save a huge amount of time further down the line.

As you are using Lite, you won't be able to import scripts, so that eliminates a big area of complexity.  You will also be limited in the number of maps you can have and the number of events you can have on each map.  But I've seen some great little games made using Lite, so it is perfectly possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Please don't create long, boring cutscenes in which characters do nothing but stand around talking.
What if I took a lesson from Half Minute Hero? Let the player get dumb powerful each area, but reset them down to just slightly stronger than before for the next map?
Been averaging 2-3 hours sleep for almost a month now. Starting to space out all the time ^^;
loopk wrote on whtdragon's profile.
Nice to meet you. My name is loopk.
May I use the materials distributed here for adult games for sale?

Thank you in advance.
loopk wrote on Avery's profile.
Nice to meet you. My name is loopk.
May I use the materials distributed here for adult games for sale?

Thank you in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panam