WidgetKitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello guys! So I'm Widget Kitty – my Steam name and the “company name” for my game(s). I've worked with the RPG Maker series for a couple decades now (gettin' to be an old gal, I guess!), and now have a lot of time on my hands, so I'm putting a bunch of my ideas into one big game, titled:

Big Friggin' Magical Adventure

Game Synopsis:

The setting is a large continent on the planet Durf – a world where magical spells & resources are commonplace, as are sentient plants & strange hybrid animals. A world with no night, and an odd set of laws governing citizens' battling and treasure hunting endeavours. You will begin as a student of Grimstone Academy of Magic, after choosing your gender and name (five playable races are in the works), and a simple task placed on you as punishment kicks off the main quest.

Sounds like typical RPG fare – and it is. BFMA is a comedy/parody of top-down adventure games, while taking itself seriously enough to have several storylines and side missions. Picture Earthbound's humour, Zelda-like traps and dungeons, and a Pokemon-influenced party & battle system - but presented open world like an Elder Scrolls game. There are three main questlines, and several optional ones, which can be done in whatever order the player chooses. After the first mission of questline one is complete, you'll have access to almost the entire continent. Every 10 levels, the entire world levels up with you – monsters are stronger, potions more effective, shops sell better items, etc. All explained by the chaotic magic getting stronger as time passes, and the economy responding to it!

So, the main quests are as follows:

1 Fate of the Future: Corrupt monarchy has allowed the continental Guardian Spirit to die, and chaotic magic from the underworld is seeping in. Statues and machines are coming to life and attacking people, and the island becomes unstable with earthquakes, volcanoes, and wild weather. The player must defeat an official who attempts to become the next Guardian – and essentially an evil god.

2 Unnatural Horrors: With the Guardian Spirit dead, eight evil monstrosities – past alchemy experiments gone wrong – resurrect and hide out in dungeons, sapping planet Durf of her life energy. This questline's dungeons focus on locked doors, puzzles, and mini games – sort of like a Zelda game within a game.

3 Who Holds the Power: You are up against a rival magic school, the Scarlet Coven, whose leader is attempting to eliminate all purple (good) magic from the world so only their chaotic (red) magic exists. Infiltrating their base reveals a massive network of mines and tunnels, and a much bigger operation than expected.

Each of these stories have ten main dungeons, and several smaller ones and side missions.

Optional stuff includes:

-50 “Loot Dungeons” for grinding and gathering. 15 of these are made, and a few are featured in two videos below. Big reward for finishing them all!

-Morality: 100 instances where you make a moral choice, and add a point to your good/evil percentage. This has an effect on chest contents and some quest outcomes & choices.

-Theft Quest: 200 hidden spots in towns and settlements, including some rare & valuable stuff. Just don't get caught with it on your person!

-Player House: A shack given to you near the beginning, which has a few dozen upgrades. Eventually you'll have several rooms, stations, storage, a garden, customized challenge dungeon, and lots more. Some are purchased, others are quest rewards.

There's a lot more that needs to be done, like carnival and tavern games, the battle system, graphics, etc. Right now it's just maps and music – four towns and 30+ dungeons, and 50 songs done. Was thinking of releasing a demo of just that so far, to see how people like my maps and music before continuing. I'll post my world map concept and a few videos below.

Thanks for taking a look!

World Map & Location Concept:

World Map Locations Small.jpg

Loot Dungeons part 1 & 2:

And this is a concept for a final dungeon, in the main quest line. Probably the most complicated dungeon I've ever made! It's the Royal City Clocktower, corrupted into a mess of mechanical pathways by chaotic magic. For now these crystals can stand in for the gears and other stuff that attack you, once I have the graphics done. The minigame toward the end (supposed to be the face of the clock) I'm especially happy with, took a while though!

Corrupted Clocktower:

Some Screenshots:
Haunted Gully.png
Royal City.png
Cliffs.png

Last edited:

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Woah how long the planning? (it deserves its own poster)

WidgetKitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Woah how long the planning? (it deserves its own poster)
Technically I've been planning it and writing songs for two decades, just under all kinds of different names and ideas.

Far as a poster goes, well here's my concept for a title screen (it'll be redrawn much better and probably digitally), close as it gets so far:

Title Concept.JPG

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Damn, Tundra might have competition for the longest-in-production RM game? I never thought I'd see the day! XD (I started mine in 2001, always nice to see a fellow oldbie :D)

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this; parody is my jam.

WidgetKitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Damn, Tundra might have competition for the longest-in-production RM game? I never thought I'd see the day! XD (I started mine in 2001, always nice to see a fellow oldbie :D)

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this; parody is my jam.
Oh yeah, my first foray into this was in 2002 - but with RPGM95 oddly enough. A lot of my first few ideas evolved into what's going into this one.

I might post some more concept art or videos, just working on a demo I could put out, just to openly explore what's made so far.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Oh yeah, my first foray into this was in 2002 - but with RPGM95 oddly enough. A lot of my first few ideas evolved into what's going into this one.

I might post some more concept art or videos, just working on a demo I could put out, just to openly explore what's made so far.
Has that always been your username? I don't remember you from any of the old haunts like Don's forums, GGZ, GamingW, War of the Magi etc. but then I've probably forgotten more people from the old guard than I ever knew. XD

WidgetKitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Has that always been your username? I don't remember you from any of the old haunts like Don's forums, GGZ, GamingW, War of the Magi etc. but then I've probably forgotten more people from the old guard than I ever knew. XD
Ah, no, Widget Kitty is a fairly new name. Inspired by my Skyrim character (A Khajiit who explores the steampunky Dwarven ruins) but I like it enough to release my Skyrim mods and eventually this game under.

Joining a forum is a relatively new thing for me, actually! I was pretty shy about talking to people and showing my work most of that time

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ah, no, Widget Kitty is a fairly new name. Inspired by my Skyrim character (A Khajiit who explores the steampunky Dwarven ruins) but I like it enough to release my Skyrim mods and eventually this game under.

Joining a forum is a relatively new thing for me, actually! I was pretty shy about talking to people and showing my work most of that time
Ah, understandable. Well it's nice to see you emerge from your cocoon as a beautiful social butterfly. ;) I look forward to seeing how your project goes!

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
All best projects are slowburn... Except, look at what happens when folks asks sequels.^^

WidgetKitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah, understandable. Well it's nice to see you emerge from your cocoon as a beautiful social butterfly. ;) I look forward to seeing how your project goes!
Yeah, I've just been a shy gal all my life, until recently. But a lot of work poured into projects like this over the years, time to get it off the ground!

All best projects are slowburn... Except, look at what happens when folks asks sequels.^^

It'll take a while, that's for sure. But making it is most of the fun to me anyway!
I've got some sequel material in mind, lots of my ideas could be expanded on, but we'll see if it comes to that. This game won't be done for at least a year or two...

WidgetKitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here is my concept art for the two current playable characters:

_20210618_200916.JPG

I have plans for five races - three humans with different skin tones, then one furry and one scaly race.

Also, I'm going to be hand drawing every monster, likely on a table, but I have concepts for a bunch of monsters and bosses done, anyone care to see them?

WidgetKitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I put a lot of work into maps this weekend, and turned out some decent dungeons I think. How do they look?

Funhouse Water Room.pngHere you have to make it from the large red square to the door, and cats circling the platforms will knock you into the water!

RC Warehouse.pngThere's a bunch of tiny places like this hidden all over, this one in the Royal City. A small puzzle for a chest in most cases.

Inescapable Pit.pngThis is an area that blocks off a special portion of one province.

Bonechill Barrow.pngRC Armoury.pngShady Sinkhole.pngThree new Loot dungeons, bring my total to 18 of them now

All of these maps will be in the demo, which I hope to have ready before summer ends.

Thanks for having a look!

Vis_Mage

Wisp Charmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looking great so far! The amount of detail already planned out for the world map is impressive, and the main duo's designs are looking very cute.

Fellow long-term project creator here (just shy of 10 years in my case), it's a great feeling to finally get on a steady stride of tangible progress. Probably my favorite part of these sorts of large-scale and long-term projects is being able to look back at just how much has been designed and planned out over the years.

WidgetKitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looking great so far! The amount of detail already planned out for the world map is impressive, and the main duo's designs are looking very cute.

Fellow long-term project creator here (just shy of 10 years in my case), it's a great feeling to finally get on a steady stride of tangible progress. Probably my favorite part of these sorts of large-scale and long-term projects is being able to look back at just how much has been designed and planned out over the years.
Wow, thank you so much! Map building is just one of my favourite things to do. I'm trying to make the entire game have a cute and whimsical look to match the humour.

Nice to meet another RPG Maker veteran! I definitely know that feeling - been getting it a lot lately now that it's coming together; last night I finally programmed my first three minigames, and they came out pretty good, think I'll make a video of them.

Just did a major update to my Royal City, too:
Royal City V2.png

Compared to the old one in the top post, I think it looks a lot better. Slowly getting all my NPCs added so there's enough to do in the demo.

WidgetKitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Think I have all my world maps (mostly) finalized, and just added a railway system that travels through the main provinces. Here is all seven maps on one screen, until I remake the tilesets:
World Map.png

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Don't you just hate it when you get a high level armor only for it to look like a metal plated bikini on your female character?? Seriously. How can that protect you??? Enemies can hit the squishy parts! :kaosigh:
Bathrooms are not designed for the middle of the night.
so... I decided since a park was an area in my game... here's an enemy that's slide with a hand behind it. cause why not.
Hot chocolate and music make studying and note-taking much easier :kaoluv:
Until my hand cramps up from writing too much!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kotare