Big Sprites

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Mikleo, Dec 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Mikleo

Mikleo Resource Hunter Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hello, I just want to ask... How do I make the Big Sprites (more than 48x48) work in MV?

There have been some robots, monsters, or something used as player sprites, but how on earth do I use them?

I recently edited my player sitting in a wheelchair... Unfortunately, it's a little beyond the standard 48x48 (coz of the wheelchair)... :(

z.PNG

Ingame, my character looks demented... :(

z.PNG

Is there a way for this to work?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2016
  2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well you need an extra row - character sprites need to be 3 columns x 4 rows - you've got to have the 'up' direction, or at the very least an empty row that's the same height as the others.

Give your sprite a name that starts with $ and you should be good to go.

When you add it to an event on the map you'll only see a 48x48 section of it, but when you play the game you'll see all of it.  Depending on how large it is, there might be issues with overlapping images, as regardless of the size of your sprite, the collision area and movement still sticks to the 48x48 grid.

3. Mikleo

First Language:
    English
    @Shaz Hi, sorry, I didn't get what you mean... What extra Row? and Up Direction?

I tried arranging it manually using a template... but it came out even worse (it multiplied) :(

Capture.PNG

z.PNG

Sorry, I'm kinda noob at this... :(

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Your 'up' sprite takes up way more room than the others.  Each row has to be exactly the same height, and each column has to be exactly the same width.  And the file name has to start with $ if it only contains a single character's sprites.

Look at the standard ones that come with the engine.

What is that screenshot from?  I don't recall any screen in the editor, or in the game, that has a bar like that going across the sprites.  What folder have you saved the image into?  It should be in the img/characters folder.

5. Mikleo

First Language:
    English
    @Shaz, I just used that template as a guide.

So, it would basically work on a 50x50 grid?

6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It doesn't matter what size the grid is.  Set your grid size to match the size of one single cell.  Then all your cells should be the same size, and all your sprites should be positioned at the same point relative to the cell boundaries.

7. Mikleo

First Language:
    English
    I really don't know what I'm doing wrong...

I fixed the grid to 57x57 in Photoshop (That's how big my sprite is)

I saved it in the img/characters as a $___  and this is how it turned out

s.PNG s1.PNG s2.PNG

When that didn't work, I saved it with no $

It also didn't work, it's cut again... Why did the white thing in the RMMV selector narrowed?

I also tried using the standard sprite sheet, which I know wouldn't work...

Hm... Doesn't a grid have the same cells? If not, how do I make it equal? I'm using photoshop and paint.net, but I still don't know. :(

8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You're missing that the engine determines the grid size based on the total picture size.

If your grid size is 57x57, then your spritesize has to be 171x228 for a single sprite (needs $ as a signal for a single sprite).

Without the $, the engine expects the picture file to be exact for 4x2 sprites, which means without the $ you'll need a sheet size of 684x456 (which is 4x171 x 2x228

You cannot have a picturesize other than those exact numbers if you want to use a 57x57 grid.

Mikleo likes this.
  9. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Your entire image also needs to be the correct size.  It either has to be large enough for all the images for a single character (3 columns x 4 rows) and have the $ at the front, or big enough for 8 characters (12 columns x 8 rows) with no $ at the front.

Mikleo likes this.
  10. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just look at that image there, where you've got the character selected.  It's very obvious that the bottom (empty) row is not the same height as the other three.  Your 'up' facing sprite belongs at the bottom of that group, not in its own group.

How high is ONE of your cells?  If you're going to have 8 characters together on a spritesheet then the full spritesheet needs to be 8 times the height of a single cell.  Yours is not.  It's taking that block and dividing it into 4 equal sized rows.  Because your rows are NOT equal sized, the sprite is not going to turn out correctly.

You need to change the canvas size so the height is 8 times the cell height, and put the row of characters facing up at the bottom of the group.

11. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Shaz sorry, I can't resist ;)

Shaz, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

(you already answered this, but you probably have set the display to sort by rating, and your previous post got upvoted and placed on the top. If you set to sort by date, you'll see your previous post...)

Celianna likes this.
  12. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, I did that & realised afterwards.  I hate that upvoting thing and the way it changes the post display order.  Makes the thread unreadable.  I wish there was a setting to ignore the upvotes and just display by post date/time.