BIG UP! (https://big-up.style/) copyrighting music from here?

ImaginaryVillain

Now A YouTube Cool Kid! =D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Touchfuzzy Kes mentioned I should tag you in on this.

So I put up a brief game play video last night...

...And for part of the video I used the track BGM_Scene6_Valkirie_FSPC from Future Steam Punk Vol 1 (which I purchased on Steam).

Per the EULA it says I need to credit:
[Copyright](C) Bitter Sweet Entertainment, Inc.
Published by: Degica Co., LTD
Resource creators: Bitter Sweet Entertainment, Inc.

So I did in the description of the video. But then today I wake up to find BIG UP! (https://big-up.style/) claimed the exact portion of the video using the track.
copyright.jpg

So do they have the right to claim that? I'm using that track and many others from that pack in my game, so if it's going to run into copyright problems I need to know so I can remove all of that music from my game.

Cryptic

Game Dev ;)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know how the site works. However, it may be that someone else has uploaded the song and called it their own. It's a music distribution company. This may not be true but it's just a theory.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It could also be a bit. I'd file a dispute with it with youtube for starters though.

ImaginaryVillain

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Day 1: Learn how to video edit
Day 2: Learn how to fight copyright claims.

#Youtube life? :kaoswt:

I brought up all the legal info, including EULA, purchase date, etc. Now they have 30 whole days to decide if they want to fight it. But if I was monetized (I just started so clearly not), they would actually get that money for the 30 days with no punishment if it's proven false. Worse yet, I had no ads on it but they can file these false claims and put ads on it.

Degica may really want to contact these people. I can't imagine how many customers are going to want to buy music packs if they know Big Up! will copyright any video their game is playing in.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm going to send you a quick PM about this as well.

ozubon

surströmming?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Seems like a really malevolent (and risky) business to have your easy as pie everyone can upload distribution company scan youtube for copyright infringement. I haven't heard about distribution services doing this before. Record labels do it, and that's basically what you sign up to with big-up terms wise. But with the big difference being they have no idea who you are or what you decide to upload. So it's a given that at some point someone (or a bot) will wrongfully upload something you should have the rights to use but by uploading to big-up they think they own the rights because using their service gives them the right to your music. They probably only check if they get a complaint. Meaning they can make tons of money from songs they don't really own and claim ignorance. This is potentially real shady business behind this claim, I mean services like this shouldn't do this as they have no way of knowing for sure what they own. It's like if soundcloud would take ownership of all their uploads and then scan youtube and make claims for every darn reupload and stolen song on soundcloud.

Last edited:

ImaginaryVillain

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So to update everybody...
The claim was filed on behalf of Show_G.bd by Big Up!

is Show_G.bd claiming the song as their own. But here's where it gets fun, in the description it lists it's site as http://www.bitter-sweet.jp/app/rhythmsia/top.html Yes the website of the same Bitter Sweet Entertainment who sold me the music and the rights to use it in games, game promotion, videos, etc.

So Bitter Sweet Entertainment itself copyright strikes you for using their music through a roundabout way. But don't worry, they won't fight the claim.... After the 30 days they have to respond, they won't so it will simply fall off.

released.jpg

And no, even Degica couldn't get them to do anything about it. They said "We did talk to them and they said "oh my bad" basically so *shrug*." So if they can't do anything, what chance do you have? Long story short, don't buy Bitter Sweet Entertainment's stuff, they are a shady dishonest company.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Bitter Sweet Entertainment itself copyright strikes you for using their music through a roundabout way
not quite.
BSE just filled up their application to youtube as "copyright holders" and "content creators".
from there, youtube takes the reference material (BSE's originals) and gives *it* priority whenever it finds something remotely similar.
youtube itself (the company) can't possibly know of *your* deal with BSE.

the youtube algorithm works by finding matches... and that's a very loose term.

in fact, I've found myself understanding the intricacies of it and how deep it goes, by just paying attention to the recommendations feed, and remembering the videos I watched somewhere else, or news articles I read, or things other than *watching videos in youtube*.
just yesterday, I was watching Westworld, and lo and behold, today when I went to youtube I got a notification on a comment I wrote in a review video about Westworld.
.......six months ago.

how very curious, that from the myriad of comments I've written in my life, just *that one*, from the lot, gets updated *right the day after* I watch something related to it.
like that one? a hundred more.... all of them "how very curious".

this is all databases and SQL queries.... computers don't know about out-of-site dealings.
(except maybe the google computers.... they probably do know everything) ¬.¬

But if I was monetized (I just started so clearly not), they would actually get that money for the 30 days with no punishment if it's proven false
speaking of which....
could that be exploited and turned around on itself?
if you upload a video you want to monetize, but upload it on private, and then generate traffic to that link via other websites.... could that help trigger a copyright claim, if one exists?
I mean, use the algorithm itself as a beta release: bait the algorithm into spotting your video, have it probe the passing traffic, and if nothing happens then release the video for public access.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ IDK, to the effects of not earning anything from the monetization, might as well use that loss to try and bypass it.

Last edited:

ImaginaryVillain

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh the reason it's a roundabout way is Big Up! copyright striked me for Show_G.bd who is part of Bitter Sweet Entertainment. And then Bitter Sweet refused to do anything about it. This isn't an algorithm thing. Bitter Sweet knows, they don't care, they said as much. But they also don't fight it after the 30 days, so it falls off.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
but, Big Up! also can't possibly copyright strike you.
they don't know about you, or anyone.... it's all automated.

and on top of that, it's a matter of third-party-zation (?) of services.
one company makes the stuff, another one sells it, and another one enforces security for it.
the company that enforces security, they won't care about who has the content.... to their eyes, the only entity allowed to have the content is *the company that makes the stuff*.
unless the company that makes the stuff comes in and tells the company that enforces security to hold their horses and not kill *you* for having the stuff that the company that makes the stuff puts the company that enforces security there for, to guard that stuff.
and if the company that makes the stuff has to go out of their way to tell the company that enforces security to make an exception *for you*, they'll have to go out of their way every time something like that comes around, and that effectively makes them not *the company that makes stuff* anymore, but also *the company that enforces security*.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
you should read some introduction to corporate law... it's a mess, but it should be explained there.

Last edited:

ImaginaryVillain

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Actually anybody can copyright strike anybody, you can manually do it. But yes the Big Up! strike was probably automated. Not all strikes are, could be either way. But the trail still leads to Bitter Sweet Entertainment itself, and they refused to lift it or do anything about it. So they are a dishonest company for breach of a usage rights contract. And they know because it was literally brought up to them by Degica. Also Big Up! refused to respond to my refute of their claim, where I presented evidence, to them. So they had 30 days after being notified. But make no mistake, they knew as well because YouTube presents the my refute to them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So, uh, has anyone tried buying any resources from KokoroReflections? Because I've been looking for a 'buy' button on the site for like 10 minutes now and can't find one.
Any also thought it's too cringy to put the word "and you" in your credit as a special thanks?
Cause that's what I thought...
Everyone in the US right now: Please stay safe.
Symphony Celestia: Prophecy of the Falling Stars RPG Maker music pack WIP. Symphony Celestia is a new series that focuses on symphonic and orchestrated music to tell a story. Each story will include compositions that make up that story from beginning to end. Themes include: Battles, adventures, character themes, etc. Below is a video preview to the first story.

Jumping and gravitation 0.1 build - RPG Maker MV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gamer4500