Parallax Panda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
As the title says, I’m curious of any work-around that would allow me to play/show larger battle animations where every frame is about 148x148?
I also wonder if it’s possible to play animation with more than 25 frames somwhow (stringing together animations perhaps)?

I know the default limitations are 25 frames of either 96x96 or 128x128 sized frames.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For larger animations, dedicate 4 cells to a single graphic and display them in cube formation.

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Milennin
Yes I thought of that too. It’s what I did in MV but in RM2K3 we can only load 1 sheet with 25 frames. Splitting that up in 4 parts would only give you 6-7 frames for your animation.

My large 148x148 sized animation already has 27 frames though. And while I could probably bring it down to 25 frames if necessary, cutting out 21 frames would not work.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, those are the limits of the program. There are no plugins to fall back on.

Cherry

RM2k(3) Developer (English Version)
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Display the animation manually with pictures. The easiest "set-and-forget" method would be to use a spritesheet set to animate and auto-end and play a sound effect which you edited so that it contains the right sounds at the right time. The only issue here could be timed flashing of targets or the screen.

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Cherry
Hm, I do remember hearing that using pictures in battle set to act as animations was a thing (but I’ve never done that myself).

in fact, I’m not that well versed in RM2K3 as I spent most time in later rpg makers. So how to do it? Is there something in the manual about how to set a sprite sheet to animate?

Also, how would I even target (or flash) the correct enemy?

Cherry

RM2k(3) Developer (English Version)
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Ok, right, in this case it's problematic. I thought you wanted to use it as part of a custom event during the battle, since you mentioned using multiple animations which you also normally couldn't do as part of a regular attack.

If you'd know where on the screen to show it though, you'd just use "Show Picture" with the spritesheet option enabled and the mode set to "animate" and "on end" set to "erase". (Those things are explained in the help of the "show picture" command.)

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ah, yeah I see what you're saying. In the end I opted for reducing the frames on a few of the animations so I could squeeze them into the 128x128 (large) sprite sheets. Those who where too big and had too many frames I might use that trick you mentioned with displaying pictures as an animation. But since targeting would be a hassle I guess I would have to settle for having them be connected to flashy "cover the entire screen in havoc" high tier skills. I guess that could work.

In any case, thank you for all the information.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

It is DC's turn to be celebrating her leveling up and starts her 20th year. We were many to think she wouldn't live that long. Starts your cats motors and make 'em purr!
why_hello_mira.jpg

I made myself a cult leader, and a concept scene for him as well. :LZSexcite:
SpaceBot wrote on DoctorMolotov's profile.
I miss you :kaocry:
I have game ideas, but none of them would fit the theme for IGMC. XD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
azackill