Bigger SV Sprites

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by kuzai, Dec 18, 2017.

1. kuzai

kuzai Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    I know this issue has been tackled many times but nothing came close to answering my questions.

I tried making taller sprites for actor characters (SV Battler) and many people said "All you have to do is make them!" So like... okay...how?

People have said to multiply the width and height of the spritesheet and re-make the sprites which I did but it's not working still, my sprite isn't there but his shadow is and now I went back to find more answers but nothing worked, am I making the spritesheet wrong? Can I not do taller actors afterall? Did I make the spritesheet the right size for my sprite? How do you even make the spritesheet correctly the correct size? Is there something else I need to know? Are there any special symbols I need to add?

I'm completely lost and I have never made sprites before in my life and I can't seem to make them properly, I'm really new to this so please could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong and what needs to be done?

(It'd probably be really great if there was a program to help make your own spritesheet correctly for RPG Maker MV)

2. Yoraee

Yoraee Veteran Veteran

You can definitely make taller sprites. The sprite sheet has to be 9x6 (9 cells horizonal and 6 cells vertical) with a total of 54 individual "cells". By default, each actor animation is comprised of three cells.

So you need to figure out the dimensions of an individual cell, like the idle character stance for example. Let's say its 100x120 pixels for one cell. In that case, your sprite sheets should be 100x9 by 120x6 pixels = 900 x 720 pixels.

After setting up the sprite sheet, you'll need to populate it. I always use this picture as a guideline
    [​IMG]

I hope I was able to help.

3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    We have a forum specifically to help people who are making resources, and I shall move this thread there.
    Here is the link for all the templates for MV to help you know what the basis for sprites is.
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/rpg-maker-mv-templates-and-guideline.46839/

It would help if you edited your first post and gave us an image of one of the sprites you have done so that people can have a look and see if they can spot anything wrong with it.

Moving this to Resource Support

4. KayZaman

KayZaman Brother-Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English & Malay
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Like this:

30A84265-39B7-4391-9DD6-74E4601201C6.png

Use the guideline that @Kes and @Yoraee shared the link. I followed the guidelines and I tested the enlarged SV sprites.

Here’s my example.

Yoraee likes this.
  5. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It looks like the taller sprite is working just fine to me! Nicely done. For the poison, just go into the animation and shift it upwards.

6. kuzai

kuzai Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    Ah okay, I still didn't quite understand but I used Game Character Hub (Because I remembered I bought it years ago) and that program made it 10x easier to make the sprites correctly.

Thanks for your help guys.