Bigger Tilesets?

Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi, im looking for some references for bigger tile sets, as i am making all the sprites for my game, but really starting to notice the size difference between one of the smallest characters in the game compared to a normal sized character, let alone i cant really make custom sprites and leave the tilesets basic lol, coming up with a issue right now though with the normal tilesets, as there small, the characters are getting there heads chopped off in door ways, and are bigger or the same size as some trees lol

anyway, i could use some help, i cant seem to find any tilesets for larger characters, that i can use as a size reference, not planning to use them in game, just referencing the size so i can start my own,

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
48x48 is the default tiles size for MV. You're not likely to find anything larger, as those few people using larger sizes are either making their own or getting them from other sites and formatting them for MV use.

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I believe its about the Mappping style you use.
The Houses are both made with the same standard Tileset for Outdoors.
For the variant with the bigger houses, i would maybe test if it looks better with a higher Screen resolution (More Maptiles visible on the Gamescreen).

Or can you show a reference Picture so we see how big a regular mv char is in comparison to your wanted size?

aaamapofhouses485.PNG

Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I believe its about the Mappping style you use.
The Houses are both made with the same standard Tileset for Outdoors.
For the variant with the bigger houses, i would maybe test if it looks better with a higher Screen resolution (More Maptiles visible on the Gamescreen).

Or can you show a reference Picture so we see how big a regular mv char is in comparison to your wanted size?
currently most of the tilesets that i have are default other then a few trees really,
this is a demo that im doing though currently this is the only sprite that i have installed, as i am working on making the rest, but this one should serve the point still,

this is a nymph, (think of them like Halflings or hobbits, were in this world nymphs are to elves what halflings or hobbits are to humans)
in other words a fully grown nymph is slightly smaller in height then that of a human child, there often mistaken for babies,
a human would be at least double this size, though there are characters taller then humans, like orcs that would have village's also, given this i will be making my own tile sets im just trying to get the layout and size of them down, studying a working example is the most simple method for me to create the image in the correct size and layout,

note the following screen shot is of the only custom sprite i have installed so far, i have not currently finished the clothing and so i put a warning, this character is nude, but there is no detail in the sprite, other then skin tone.
screen shot222.JPG

PVGames assets are scaled to significantly larger characters. https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?forums/pvgames-resource-packs.112/ Though they aren't free.
just had a look at these, from what i can see there just the size im looking for, ill have to buy them so i can have a closer look ~,~ thanks for that,
the graphics remind me of a demo i was having a look at, you could rotate the camera at will, showing what was behind buildings

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
from what i can see there just the size im looking for,
I don't think so - at least not if your screenshot is a true sample.
PVG's sprites are about three or for times as high as the default sprites, and your sample looks like it is 150% regular height.
You just don't see that in regular screenshots because the tiles have been oversized for the same size.

You can check that for yourself with the free example pack
Download it (no registration needed, that is just an automatic dropbox ad)

Ilithianeae

dont use my moo-cow face, please! ^-^
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hmmm.... if i see it correct you should build your houses in another way so that your character will have no problem because of being taller!

like such house i made just a second ago. i only used the rpg maker mv rtp and there the outside tilesets.Bildschirmfoto vom 2020-02-17 22-00-40.png

edit: here, in these thread you will find some nice things for your tilesets! https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?forums/rpg-maker-mv-resources.131/

Last edited:
Reactions: Bex
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hmmm.... if i see it correct you should build your houses in another way so that your character will have no problem because of being taller!

like such house i made just a second ago. i only used the rpg maker mv rtp and there the outside tilesets.

edit: here, in these thread you will find some nice things for your tilesets! https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?forums/rpg-maker-mv-resources.131/
thank you for your comment, ^^ i have been having a look at the tilesets, im going to try doing this, hopefully the human characters wont be too big ^^:

I don't think so - at least not if your screenshot is a true sample.
PVG's sprites are about three or for times as high as the default sprites, and your sample looks like it is 150% regular height.
You just don't see that in regular screenshots because the tiles have been oversized for the same size.
the screenshot is true, though this character is the 2en smallest of all the race's in my game, humans are going to be at least double this height, the only race smaller then this race, are fairy's, and the child version of nymphs,

though even so, i had a look at the PVG tilesets and they dont really sit with the style, i think i could only really use these as a template in the end, so im not going to buy them,

Ilithianeae

Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ah, your human sprite is double-sized? hmmmm.... on oniromancie (french rpg maker site!) i saw some bigger houses. although they are made for the rpg maker xp but they should be good for the mv too i find.

<--SNIP-->

the only thing is that i dont know how these graphics are copyrighted!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ah, your human sprite is double-sized? hmmmm.... on oniromancie (french rpg maker site!) i saw some bigger houses. although they are made for the rpg maker xp but they should be good for the mv too i find.

<--SNIP-->

the only thing is that i dont know how these graphics are copyrighted!
had a look at the french site, though i cant work out if there copyrighted also, ~,~ sins im working on a commercial game i wont be able to use them safely

i got some new tilesets, there bigger then normal, though im going to be editing and customizing them, adding new things as well, so making the buildings and doors a little bigger should not be too hard,

Last edited by a moderator:

Ilithianeae

Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
sadly, hu? they have nice rpg-xp sets there which cant be used in commercial games because of not knowing copyright.... sighs....

ah, that is good to read that you got new tilesets! i too make tilesets for my game out of numerous ones! ^-^

apropos bigger doors! johan has some nice ones! have you seen them?

i like the wooden ones which could fit well in a nice villa or castle.

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Ilithianeae I've removed your link, because it contains a lot of rips from other games. Please don't post links if there aren't clear credits for the resources.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
PVG's sprites are about three or for times as high as the default sprites,
Those Medieval sprites are about 2.5 times Ace's sprites, and not even twice MV's, so likely around the size of OP's sprites. But the bigger issue is, the style would not likely go well with the style of sprites they are using.

@PrideOfTheForbidion I have left this here because you were initally asking about creating your own tiles, which is what Resource Support is for. If you are just wanting to find existing resources though, we need to move this to Resource Requests.

Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Those Medieval sprites are about 2.5 times Ace's sprites, and not even twice MV's, so likely around the size of OP's sprites. But the bigger issue is, the style would not likely go well with the style of sprites they are using.

@PrideOfTheForbidion I have left this here because you were initally asking about creating your own tiles, which is what Resource Support is for. If you are just wanting to find existing resources though, we need to move this to Resource Requests.
thank you, sorry we got a bit off topic though yes im currently working on making my own tilesets, not currently looking for tilesets,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

so, ive been gone for too long when i log in and see that everything is where is shouldn't be. XD
Steam killing my eyes.. I forgot why I use it only when I have no other choice
Making a map, my brain went "Look, Mjölnir!" as I plotted out a sacrificial entrance.

Actually, it went, "Look, hammer. Wait, Thor's hammer!"
CG tile rendering, take 3: windows.
which section you guys think looks more accurate to the perspective? left or right?

for reference, this is what it looks like "at street level"
Okay, Animal Crossing is remarkably addictive and exceptionally calming. I've been playing it pretty exclusively... like... 6 hours a day. Been a while since I've been this engrossed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Komalis