Not open for further replies.

MARS3444

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am trying to create a tv in my game that actually plays videos an event will be able to change the channel and make it so there is an entirely different video playing can someone guide me to a tutorial, or a plugin or am I just trying to do the impossible. The whole tv idea can be scraped if it is impossible.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Plugin Requests. Thank you.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
everything is possible, depending which video's? and how long they are.
does it play from beginning or when switch back, remember the time?

how big is the tv? is it fixed spot to what? own video (webm) or youtube?

there is a youtube video player, but if it works in the way you want it is
the question and the size of the tv you want to show and it's position.

MARS3444

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
At the moment this screen shot is the setup and the videos are a variety of lengths the shortest is a minute and a half the longest is 1 hour and 33 minutes long. Ideally the tv will work like a tv in the real world. I can replace the tv with a bigger one if I need to but it is stationary the game is a single map essentially it is an advanced gigapet or tomagachi

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-30 103015.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-30 103015.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 3

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
so, you want to play an hour-long video, in the space of 48 pixels of size.

MARS3444

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
At the moment this screen shot is the setup and the videos are a variety of lengths the shortest is a minute and a half the longest is 1 hour and 33 minutes long. Ideally the tv will work like a tv in the real world. I can replace the tv with a bigger one if I need to but it is stationary the game is a single map essentially it is an advanced gigapet or tomagachi
the videos are all webm

so, you want to play an hour-long video, in the space of 48 pixels of size.
yea I know it is strange but like I said it will work like a television in real life the Player character wont need to be directly in front of it she will be able to walk away the whole game is like a little pet for the desktop. the player won't need to be able to actually tell what is going on on the tv and I can change the size of the tv if need be

everything is possible, depending which video's? and how long they are.
does it play from beginning or when switch back, remember the time?

how big is the tv? is it fixed spot to what? own video (webm) or youtube?

there is a youtube video player, but if it works in the way you want it is
the question and the size of the tv you want to show and it's position.
I have used the youtube video player before and I like it but it takes over pretty much the whole screen so that wont work for this

I can make the tv larger if need be the map is subject to change and I will move stuff around if I need to

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
try not to doublle posting but do it in a single post with multi quotes.

but the youtube player can resize the window, but extremely small
and not really visible wont work, especially the very long once!

there is probably NO PERSON that what each channel to ALL video's
or some.

the best way to aproach is, just simple images/animation of 3-6 frames,
and when needed some text box or just use the tv when required.

the way you like to set it up probably wont work out the way you want too.
I can be wrong, but it would be useless and waste of time if noone really
watch it anyway.

This is my opinion and perspective, but if you still want to try to get
it to work, I wish you good luck on it.

No offense though, the idea is nice, but not worth it.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
even on a bad quality, videos have at least a width of 200 pixels. Medium quality is around 800 pixels, and high quality goes up to 4K pixels.

your 48x48 tile has a frame, that means you have probably only 40 pixel for width.
That means the low quality video needs to lose 80% of its pixel to even fit into that screen.
How much do you expect to be recognizable from the video after that?

for any video to be recognizable even in bad quality you would have to have a TV that is at minimum 4x3 tiles big - and that won't fit into your maps at all, not at that scale.

MARS3444

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the tips the wall behind the tv is 3 wide and 2 high I could make it so the tv is wall mounted and essentially make movies with events, switches, and variables. No offence taken I figured the original idea was probably a little complex it sounds simple but it was originally supposed to be a whole tv subscription like spectrum cable or another cable provider but I control what is on in the backend. I calculated it out and to add all the videos and everything it was going to end up being over 4 GB in just the movies folder there is 7 videos in the movie folder now and it is 576 MB already. If I were to preload all that it would be a major blow to my RAM and probably CPU

I solved this a really simple and honestly kind of lazy way. I created a few nearly identical tilesets to the SF_Inside tileset with the difference of a slightly modified image on the tv screen then a common event that changes between them making it appear that a show is playing on the TV. As for the watch with me a RNG choice will determine the channel for example I choose Watch with me then it chooses number 6 it would play whatever video 6 is in the conditional branch of a Watch TV with me common event is at normal size thanks for the advice ShadowDragon and Andar.

Mods this can be marked as solved if you have to do anything I am not sure how to say it is solved on my end

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

MARS3444, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can use the "Edit" function on your posts to add additional information you've forgotten or respond to multiple people. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

I've merged them all together.
If you want a thread closed next time, please report your post and a mod will close it.

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Working on a characteeer! (Why is it so hard to color hair?) ;-;
Silly-Sketches.png
Just finished eventing a couple simple puzzles in RMMV, for my very first game "Sample Quest." Just messing around, throwing things together, and calling it a story XD On a non-RM note, got my hair cut today!
I feel the need to inform everyone on the forums NOT to go with Web Hosting Canada for your hosting needs. It is by far the worst customer service and just overall experience I have ever had with hosting and I am Canadian...
BCj
Got another eye surgery monday. Hope I'll recover quick and all's well. A bit tired of surgeries. On a happy note, working on the next chapter of Escalia so hope I can continue soon :)
Celebrating the arrival of autumn in the Northern Hemisphere :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kotfwing