Birthday Bash - Escape From Ruenia

HeathRiley

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hello! This is the first game I've ever made on rpg maker. It is definitely fun to learn.

Escape From Ruenia

An excerpt from a larger story, this is the tale of 3 citizens of another nation, and their journey to escape back

home to fix much larger issues. They befriend a pretty eccentric young lady, and have multiple run ins with a

very odd gentleman. While a mostly serious story, there are things to lighten the mood.

Cast

Light: A fairly serious man, that only wants to get things done so he can stop having to deal with everyone

else's problems. He is focused on dealing raw damage and uses hand to hand weapons.

Klaus: Klaus is very talented but always seems to end up the butt of the joke. He uses a lance and tends

to bolster his team mates.

Harmony(Harm): The princess of the home nation, Harm needs aid in escaping Ruenia. She quickly becomes

her own force to be reckoned with, as her healing capabilities are unmatched and her intelligence is high.

Brooke: Brooke is... well you'll find out. She's spunky and not afraid to show it. Her rifle skills are top notch

and she can definitely put it to use.

Features

Using Gems to learn abilities, take advantage of finding enemy weaknesses. Main elements are Soldiery, Wilding, Fire

Thunder, and water. Charge turn battle and predefined row formations meet, and you'll have to play to each character's

strengths and abilities.

Link: (Ver. 1.01, Thanks to Hiddenone for finding a freezing issue at a certain spot!)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ttfgb8y7gfu4wk8/AAAv3qnInaJ5PdLmVOKWIklEa?dl=0

Credits

Engine

Enterbrain/kadokawa

Plugins

Yanfly engine

Himeworks

Galvs scripts

special thank yous in game.

If anything is wrong, or needs corrected, feel free to let me know. This is my first game, and I assume I'll have missed something.

For now enjoy! I would love to hear feedback.

I think what I'd like to add the most is a tutorial for the gems and gear slots, to better explain them and showing off that some elements work better again some enemies; basically adding some clarity.

Changelog:

v1.01

Fixed a freezing issue in the mountain pass.

Heal was useable only on enemies.

Regenerate was usable outside of battle.

Credits page was adjusted to display correctly.

Various minor things were adjusted

Last edited by a moderator:

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tried to play your game, but unfortunately it froze in the mountain pass so I couldn't continue.  What I did play was a pretty good start for your first game.  Since it's your first game there are some common mistakes, but they're all fixable.  Adding some movement to your intro would be nice, maybe have Light and Klaus walk and talk.  Your maps are much bigger than they need to be, so either decrease their size or make the more interesting to look at (more details, variation in height, add some screen tints, etc.).  I knew when there was going to be another cutscene since you had those odd fences so I'd be funneled over a certain tile.  If you put the cutscene into a common event you could put tiles across the floor that could activate the right cutscene, which would make things a bit more surprising.

As for the battles, they weren't hard but it was important to use skills, especially on the bosses.  The only big issue I saw was that "Heal" was used on the enemies, not your team mates.  

The special thanks section of your credits gets cut off, so you may want to check that and make sure nobody accidentally is lost.  Overall it seems like this could be an fun little game, but it needs some more fixing and polish to really make it shine.

Oh, one more thing.  Your cast list in the thread mentions Rebecca, but I never met her.  Did you rename her Brooke?  :unsure:

HeathRiley

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@hiddenone

Thank you for the playthrough! Yea it's all very new to me and I'm learning a lot about programming it. I'll be sure to figure out why the game froze at the mountain pass. I appreciate the mention about map size also! This is the kind of thing I'm trying to learn.

I appreciate you noticing some mistakes on heal, credits, and such! It's nice to have other people help you out :) I will work hard to fix them. As for the name yes! Though some one else had a hand in that in my household xD!

EDIT: I have found the cause of the mountain pass issue. In the process of fixing now, I'll have 1.01 up in the main post shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, I played the rest of the game.  Glad you could fix that freezing issue.  Most of what I already mentioned still stands, and there were a few tile errors as well.  I couldn't sell anything at the shops, so I ended up carrying a lot of things that weren't useful to me anymore.  The final battle was lackluster to me, as I had strengthened my party so much that I could just spam attack to win.  And with five people on the team, it would've been nice if you had spread them out a bit more on the battlefield (right now they're pretty bunched up in front).  The ending wasn't great, and it seems this is just part of a bigger story.  Instead of ending the game right after the final battle, it would've been nice to see the team making it to safety and having some time to relax.

This is not a bad start for your first game, and with some more work it could be pretty good.  :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's raining non stop since yesterday. The sound of the rain is so soothing.
I really miss the old style disney animated movies. I guess the last one was The Princess and the Frog from 2009. Now I am trying to collect every single one I can get on BD or DVD.
What I've seen from the MZ tiles looks pretty inconsistent, bleh. Every plant seems to be drawn in a different style.
Recently posted a demo of my game online. Now I have no idea what to do with myself o_O What is the reason for my existence now...
I'm feeling a lot better this week. Some of the rules in my country for isolation changed a little, so I was able to see friends in person again, which was a huge relief. Thanks everyone for giving me some sympathy last week when I was having a rough time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Densuki