Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1.png

From board game to card game
I have been working on a multiplayer board game (BiteMe!Dice) for a while, and even though it is fun to play around with, the card battle system in the game did not much for me. I hated it.

So I have been looking for plugins to use for this. I could find none. So I took a few of my favorite yanfly plugins, opened RPG Maker and GIMP, and I created my own collecters card game, using Vexed Enigma's Pop!Horror City set. (Yes, that is where I got that whole "!" in the middle of my title from...)

As said, I only use a few yanfly plugins. The entire card game system is made withevents, and events only. (A lot of "Show picture" and "Move picture" going arounf in here)

For now, I got a pretty good base, with a nice stack of unique cards and enemy decks, that will put your skills to the test.

The longer you play, the more cards you unlock. Your deck grows while you play, but so does your enemy's deck. The stronger your deck, the harder the challenge.

Screenshots
2.png
3.png
4.png

Cards
You know what is awesome for a card game? How about some cards! There is 3 different types. There is the regular cards, cards with a death wish (skull), and cards with a battle shout (fist). A death wish, is an ability that triggers when a card is destroyed. A battle shout triggers when a cards is set in a primary slot. This can happen when you play them into a primary slot directly, or when they are shoved forward from a secondary slot.

Card1.pngCard17.pngCard30.png

How to play BiteMe!Cards
When it is your turn, you get to play cards untill you have a card in both primary slots. If you wish, you can also fill up the secondary slot behind them before you end your turn.

At the end of each turn, the upper primary cards (yours and your opponents) will attack each other. And the primary cards on the bottom will do the same. They will all do their attack worth of damage to the opposing card.

If the health of any of them falls below 0, they die. The card gets removed from the table, and if the card has a deathwish, it will be triggered. Then, if there is a card in the secondary slot, it will shove forward.

Destroy your opponents cards, and try to spare your own. The player who runs out of cards first, loses the game.

Find it here!!
For now, the game is only playable as a HTML5 browser game. This is because I am adding new cards every day, and I need everything to be up-to-date all the time. Once the game is finished, there will be a downloadable version available.

The game is still in development, but do not let that fool you... Once you get the hang of it, you might lose hours in this little card game, before you even notice it.

https://biteme.johndoenews.nl/p/bitemecards.html

(Oh... And if you check it out... Please leave your feedback below. Thanks!)

Updates!!
I have updated the game with:
- new cards with new powers
- faster AI
- Solved a bug where the game randomly thinks it's a tie.
I did rewrite the whole game to get rid of final tiny bugs (like the timing battleshouts, which sometimes happened after the AI played a card, even though it was casted before.

All changes in a nutshell:
  • Dynamic background
  • Opponent AI (used to play random card from their hand, till their table was full or their hand was empty, but now it can calculate up to 2 turns ahead, if there is enough cards on the table, even when placing secondary cards.)
  • Opponent Deck Balance (You now always start the run against the rat, after that the opponents are somewhat random, but still some opponents do show up early in every run, and others only late in the run. Where the 3rd game is still rather easy, the 10th game will be a whole other story. And if you are stll alive after beating them all, they will come back even stronger.)
I debugged 1 tiny thing... So tiny, I don't even remember what it was. But the solution to that problem, caused the game to freeze on players turn, after a battle shout, sometimes. This has been fixed now as well.

The game should run smoothly know. If you still encounter bugs, please notify.

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I try it quickly, the game is nice, but 2 minor issues.

1) when I bought a pack of 10 gold, the first card isn't shown,
2) when short game or mirror game, the game stuck at "Loading..." screen
and doesn't start the game (after 10min) still the same screen.

the tutorial is nicely done, really smooth.

gRaViJa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's fun and very well made but in the first tutorial fight I always get endless draws. Maybe i'm stupid but tutorials should be stupid-proof ;)

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's fun and very well made but in the first tutorial fight I always get endless draws. Maybe i'm stupid but tutorials should be stupid-proof ;)
Endless draws? Oh... That shouldn't happen. Do you get the "stuck" option a lot, maybe? You get a stuck option when you end up with both 1 card, but on different rows. This gives you the option to call it a draw, or shuffle 1 rat in each deck. Those rats, also shuffle a new rat in the deck when they die. So when you are stuck and choose the option for extra rats, a total of 3 cards are added per deck.

The trick is to end up killing all enemy cards, and leave at least 1 on your own board. If both players run out of cards at the same time, the player who had the last turn wins.

I am not sure if that is what happened to you?

Thanks for trying my game, though!

-----
EDIT: Oh you mean it always ends in draw? I thought you meant you keep drawing cards. But, yeah, that is a matter of placing your cards right... Here is a hint: You have 1 card with 2 HP, and the enemy has not... Use that in your advantage to win the tutorial. Otherwise... Sacrifice your last card to kill his last card... As long as you had the last turn that killed their cards, you win. If they had the last turn you lose.

Edit: Here, you can see your opening hand, and your opponents opening hand. :p
Opening Hands.png

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I replay it and skip tutorial and play a few short games, but when you have 1 card
on the table and 1 in hand, enemy has no card on the table or hand, you still need
to place a card on table -> end turn _> pop up says you own the game, this might
be easier if enemy hand is empty and table is empty that you win directly than
place a card, end turn.

Not sure how the gold is calculated though on battle won, but the gameplay is nice,
easy to understand, I dont know if you can unlock medium and the other one or not
yet implented in order to choose so.

Keep up the nice work.

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I replay it and skip tutorial and play a few short games, but when you have 1 card
on the table and 1 in hand, enemy has no card on the table or hand, you still need
to place a card on table -> end turn _> pop up says you own the game, this might
be easier if enemy hand is empty and table is empty that you win directly than
place a card, end turn.

Not sure how the gold is calculated though on battle won, but the gameplay is nice,
easy to understand, I dont know if you can unlock medium and the other one or not
yet implented in order to choose so.

Keep up the nice work.
I know what you mean... You have to finish your turn even though the enemy already lost. It is a beauty mark I want to take out, it wasn't a priority yet. It is on my to-do list.

Gold is calculated easily: You get 3 gold ( = 1.5 cards) per game won. And you get 7gold extra when you start, so you can buy your first pack after winning one game.

This counts when you have played or skipped the tutorial, so if you play the tutorial, you unlock the 12 basic cards + you can buy 5 random cards. If you skip the tutorial, you have to win an easy game to buy a pack.

(Side note: I updated my previous reply with a screenshot while you were replying. Just mention it in case you missed it, since my edit was finished after you replied.)

EDIT Oh oops. You are not the same person. I didn't see your first reply at first. Sorry.

A card wasn't showing and after 10 minuted you were stuck? Then an image ismissing. I'll look up which one it is and add it to the pile. Thanks! (This is what happens with the "exclude unused items" option...)

Edit again: So, a card was missing indeed. Oops. I added it to the deployed pack, and am uploading the new zip file as we speak. Game will be offline for 1 minute (so sorry if anyone is playing right now...) and after that the infinate load screen should be history.
Edit: The game is running again, including the missing card. Bummer that you didn't get it, was one of the best cards in the game. :p haha.

Last edited:

FleshToDust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm a simple man. I see cards, I click.
Glad you ended up making a thread for this. I look forward to seeing where it goes.

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm a simple man. I see cards, I click.
Glad you ended up making a thread for this. I look forward to seeing where it goes.
So do I. :) Haha. It started off as an experiment, but I think I got a full on card game on my hands here...

Thanks for trying out my game.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I lost also a battle where I could win, but the cards are diagonally placed,
a possibility to attack diagonlly as well if they arent over other?

like you :
card -> empty
empty -> card

so card diagonally attack the other card in the game?

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I lost also a battle where I could win, but the cards are diagonally placed,
a possibility to attack diagonlly as well if they arent over other?

like you :
card -> empty
empty -> card

so card diagonally attack the other card in the game?
Did you lose the game directly or after the rats were shuffled?

If cards are placed diagonally, you should get an option:
- Either call it a draw (basically giving up)
- Or shuffle a brown rat into both decks. On death they will shuffle a gray rat into both decks. This adds a total of 6 more cards to the game to find a way out. If your card on the table is stronger, than that should be easy. In this case... Health is more important than attack value.

So, it is up to you, the player, to avoid diagonal endings, to win the game.

I like your idea about cross attacking too. It is not that I didn't think about it, but boy is that hard to realize. Doable... Sure. But it will cost me a few days maybe. :p

More importantly, I kinda like the rat solution, though. Don't you?

If you play more games, you might get more comfortable with it. The opponent is way more likely to end on a 3/1 (atk/hp) card than you. (because the AI is not so smart... yet) You can kill that with a rat. If you have a 1/3 card at the end, then you can kill 3 rats with it. And your rats attack the other card.

After a few games you'll know when or where to place which cards. Once you know those, even handicap games (against way stronger decks, or larger decks) are winnable. They just take forever. :p (Yes, I spend a loooooot playing my own game. Hahaha. Mostly to test, but I don't mind testing 3 or 4 games in a row.)

Anyhow, I am rambling on. Back to the original question: Did you lose the game directly or after the rats were shuffled?

Oh and thanks for coming back to check up on my process! :thumbsup-left::thumbsup-right:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
its more, you get the rat (nice idea: but than you have like this:

2/3 -> 1/1

1/1 -> 1/2

so you still lose because you can draw 1 rat.

it's mostly the final one, or they need to think to place just 2 on table on top, not bottom
untill the enemy is out of cards, than place on top.

it's more the final card even if the rat didn't give a solution as well.
another way is if it's easier, if the player has 2/3 on table and the enemy 1/3
in diagonal direction, than if the card has NO card in front, it deal to the damage
from that to the player, so, the player has 5-10 HP, even if you have 1 card and enemy has 2,
than the one with no card in front deal dmg to the player/enemy.

this way, there is always a winner or loser (but this is up to you).
but the last card on table in diagonal direction might be the best solution
to provide the winner or loser.

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I do not want the player/enemy to have HP, and die when they are out of HP. The reason is... That would be too much like hearthstone.

I won't deny that I was inspired by hearthstone, but I do not want to make a clone or a rip-off.

After a tied score, there is not 1 rat you can draw, but 3. And if then you end up getting tied again, you get 3 rats again.

This is part of the game, but once you get better at the game, it will not happen that often. During the game, it is the trick to kill multiple enemy cards with as less as possible cards of your own. If you do that right, then a tie at the end of the game, becomes rare. (I lose 1 out of 20 games, and tie 1 out of 15, last time I kept track)

To be honest, I am actually glad you struggle with the end game. :p I myself thought the game was way too easy. But that is probably because I know every single card by heart and I know exactly which cards are on which enemy decks. :p

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got only 1 rat and the enemy as well.

if you cannot attack diagonally, is it possible to check the "attack" or "def" for the winner?

like is player has 2 att and enemy has 1 attack, you win, or 2 vs 1 defens, highest def wins?

the reason I said HP on player, which only counts while you cant do diagonally attack.
I know heartstone though, it's a nice game, but I also understand your perspective.

but if you say, you draw 3 rats when your hand is empty, than I wonder why I got 1,
than lose anyway if it's the enemy turn (where I go wrong somewhere),

If I could get more rats, than I could win still :)

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got only 1 rat and the enemy as well.

if you cannot attack diagonally, is it possible to check the "attack" or "def" for the winner?

like is player has 2 att and enemy has 1 attack, you win, or 2 vs 1 defens, highest def wins?

the reason I said HP on player, which only counts while you cant do diagonally attack.
I know heartstone though, it's a nice game, but I also understand your perspective.

but if you say, you draw 3 rats when your hand is empty, than I wonder why I got 1,
than lose anyway if it's the enemy turn (where I go wrong somewhere),

If I could get more rats, than I could win still :)
You get 1 brown rat, when that rat dies, 2 gray rats are shuffled in the decks as well, also when your opponents brown rat dies. The grey rats do not shuffle new rats in each deck.

So you get 1 brown rat + 2x 1 gray rat. SO does the enemy, that makes a total of 6.

Maybe you didn't notice the difference between the 2 rats?

Or did you love even before you play the extra rat? That should be impossible, but if it happened anyway, I should change it. But I think you just didn't notice those rats spawn more rats upon death.

----

Anyhow... I've been thinking about your feedback, and I might have an alternative idea... I can make cards with a special ability that can cross-attack.

Or... I can thought about having the player choose which card to attack per attack. However, this option will change the whole game. Not only that... It will also make it harder to make the AI smart. And the dumber the AI, the easier to beat the game.

All with all, the game was designed to play on 2different rows. This whole concept will disappear when I give the player the option to choose their target with each attack. Thies will make it a whole different game. However... I been thinking about an extra unlockable mode, where cross attacks are possible.

----

Thanks for your feedback. Talking about issues players find while playing the game, does help me improve a lot.

And last... I have improved the dialogue system. Enemy faces will now show up on the right during dialogue. And the player and opponents portrait will be hidden when they speak. (Before you could see a little of the portrait sticking our from under the text message). Small changes, but it looks a lot smoother. (This is not online just yet... Will be with next update, which I planned for later tonight.)

Look, this is the card shuffled in the deck, if you click it again after selecting it, it will show this:
1606071046666.png
At that point I know the last card in his hand is a brown rat too, because it just got shuffled into their deck.

And the same thing next turn for the gray rat:
1606071232666.png
You can see I was right. He has a brown rat on the table now. And you already know he's going to have at least one more, because of the death wish ability.

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I still lose because couldn't attack :)

I think only the last card on table should attack cross, otherwise, none other card.
that is my best way to the solution if it's not harder to do.

another methode is to bring or select the last cad on table, or automatic, bring the last
card, over each other to attack.

any way that is the easiest for you.

maybe instead of a rat let the player shoose from 4 cards at random.
always the same 4, 1 weak, 1 bit strong, 1 stronger, 1 strongest.

there might be other ways, but see what is the easiest for you to impliment.

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But cross attack would change the whole basic of the game, which is designed for linair attack. If I change that, I do not change much within the game, but I change a lot about how the game is played.

But now lets talk behind the screen. I already need to check 16 different variables in 4 different combinations to check if it is a tie.

The thing is... 2 cards on the table on different rows, happens alooooooooot mid-game. So to even consider a draw, I have to make sure all slots in the hands of the player and the opponent are empty. I have to make sure both decks are empty, and I have to make sure there is only 2 primary cards on the table, but then again they can't be on the same row. And even then I have to wait a turn, to make 100% sure there wasn't still a deathwish or a battle shout going on.

This is a lot more than just saying: "Oh, they can't attack, game over. " But honestly, I hardly ever get in situations like that. Maybe the first 2 games in a run... But once you buy 1 package (which you can after your 1st win), you get better cards.

The thing with cross attack is: It would make the game way too easy. Just save your best card till the end and you win. I could program the AI to always play the weakest card in its hand to just save the best for last. But then even weak decks would be hard to beat.

Which card to play on which row, trough out the game but specially in the end, is part of those tactics. Here is a hint to avoid situations like that: When you are running out of cards, then end the turn without secondary cards. See what the opponents does first. When As soon as your primary slots are filled, you can end your turn. The button will turn yellow when ready.

In fact... You should only use secondary slots if:
- If you desperately need to draw better cards and sacrifice some low ones.
- If you have a card with a battle shout (fist)
- If you can kill 1 strong card using 2 weak cards

Otherwise, leave those secondary slots open, see what cards your enemy plays.

When you play like that, you win every game. You won't even see that tie break. But you have to think every card trough. I don't mind it to be an easy to beat game, as long as you have to pay attention. As soon as you lose focus, burn up some of your best card, you might tie, get stuck, or even lose the game. :p

I promise, if you have more HP at a tie break, and you shuffle rats trough your deck, you win the game. And if you have less HP on the table, you still might... If you can play the remaining cards right. You see... After 1 tie, it is easy to get another tie, and another, and another, untill you have enough rats to kill the big enemy card. It will take a few turns but it works. But there is thought behind how to get to that point where your enemy deck is empty and you have a full hand and table.

I just think ending a tie with a cross attack would make winning the game, or at least come to a conclusion, way too easy, and kinda depending. And when I program AI to always play the lowest card in their hand, they make become unbeatable, unless you are incredibly lucky.

The different cards might be an idea... But instead of making it a choice, I could make it the enemy card. Or all 4 Remco cards? (1/1) (1/2) (2/1) and (2/2)
Card1.pngCard2.pngCard3.pngCard4.png

Sorry for the long reply. :p

Oh btw!!! Which game did you play & lose? Tutorial, short game or mirror game? Short games should be easy to beat after buying 1 pack of cards... Unless you fight zombie Ramona. Her deck is pretty strong. Which enemy you get is random.

Update: I decided to not do the alternative for rats. I like how it plays out. Sure, it can get you in awkward positions in the end game, but then it comes down to skill. I don't mind if my players lose some games... I count on it. I want it to be a game that makes you think: How do I save myself out of this? There should be only 1 easy enemy deck, and that should be the rats.

Thanks for thinking along... But I like the rats. If more people hate it than not, then I might change it after all. But for now, you are the only one who reported it as a problem. That doesn't mean I don't listen to your feedback, though. It is good you make me think my decisions over. You made me think about this A LOT the past few days.

Two times I was walking in the street and forgot were I was even supposed to go, because I was thinking about cross attacks. Haha. Not how to do it. I know how to do it... But how I could make that without losing balance in the game. The more I thought about it, the more I think therats are a better solution.

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
rats are nice for extra cards, but as long you keep ending in cross cards, you lose anyway.

when skipping the tutorial, I lost 2 battles, 1 of his zombie sister with strong cards I cant beat,
or another buddy with high cards.

you need to get a pack in order to get a chance, but I mostly end up cross cards.
but I got 2 alt ways in order to make a winner or losing the game if it's a cross card on
board (in case to diss the rats)

1) throw a dice, (higher number wins)
2) 3 cards placed on table (from the enemy), 2 bombs, 1 Joker,
draw the Joker, and you win, draw the bomb, you lose.

whatever is easier, as well which one you prefer or from more feedback that suits
the winner better when it become a cross in the end.

the play game with place 1 card instead of 2, is also a nice idea what the enemy does first,
so you can play your hand better which I might try and not even think of it before.

other than that, the graphic and game play are really smooth :)

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
rats are nice for extra cards, but as long you keep ending in cross cards, you lose anyway.

when skipping the tutorial, I lost 2 battles, 1 of his zombie sister with strong cards I cant beat,
or another buddy with high cards.

you need to get a pack in order to get a chance, but I mostly end up cross cards.
but I got 2 alt ways in order to make a winner or losing the game if it's a cross card on
board (in case to diss the rats)

1) throw a dice, (higher number wins)
2) 3 cards placed on table (from the enemy), 2 bombs, 1 Joker,
draw the Joker, and you win, draw the bomb, you lose.

whatever is easier, as well which one you prefer or from more feedback that suits
the winner better when it become a cross in the end.

the play game with place 1 card instead of 2, is also a nice idea what the enemy does first,
so you can play your hand better which I might try and not even think of it before.

other than that, the graphic and game play are really smooth :)

Okay, the zombie sister is a tough deck to beat, specially if you bought no packs yet. (you should have played the tutorial, haha) I lose that one most of the times myself. (Specially if I forget to buy cards first) But it is beatable, even with an opening deck.

But if you get in a cross ending, you do not always lose. I always win a cross ending unless his lastcards has crazy high HP, and mine has not. Or, and this is more rare, they have a secondary card, a strong death wish or a strong battle shout on their last (secondary) card.

All you have to do is to make sure you keep ending in a crossing till the last enemy card is defeated...

HINT: When your last card in your hand can kill the last card on the enemy board, then place it in front of it. Even if it kills your card, you still win. (If both players run out of cards at the same time, the last player that had any card alive wins.) That rule is VERY important when you end up rat vs rat. No other way to end it.

Oh man... Those alternatives to the rats are not going to make me think my decision over as much as the cross attacks did. Sorry, those are not going to happen. I could as well flip a coin. :p I want people to think where to place their cards, not to cross their fingers and hope for the best.

But thanks man. I love your enthusiasm. And don't give up! Just... Don't skip the tutorial next time so you can buy a pack of cards before you head into battle. :p That will help you a lot! (If you don't buy cards, you only have the 4 weakest cards in the game in your hand.)

If you skip the tutorial, it is a lot harder to earn you first pack of cards. (which is after your 1st win, that includes the tutorial)

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
when fighting your zombie sister, it say "syster" instead of sister.

also I play 2 cards instead of 4, which goes smoother, but there is 1 thing I also noticed.
when you have a 1/3 card that deal 1 dmg to all enemies, or 3 dmg to random enemies,
it also hit themself, while as player isn't the enemy.

I play a bit more when I get time, and see how the effects plays and if they are
correctly, but keep up the nice work :)

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
when fighting your zombie sister, it say "syster" instead of sister.

also I play 2 cards instead of 4, which goes smoother, but there is 1 thing I also noticed.
when you have a 1/3 card that deal 1 dmg to all enemies, or 3 dmg to random enemies,
it also hit themself, while as player isn't the enemy.

I play a bit more when I get time, and see how the effects plays and if they are
correctly, but keep up the nice work :)
No dude. You read it wrong. It says: "Deal 3 damage randomly split between all cards."

This means enemy cards and friendly cards. ;)

I will correct the typo though.

-------

Edit: This is the second false bug report in a row. You kept saying there wasn't 3 extra rats per player at the end of a game, and now this. Please make sure you double check found bugs before you report them. Debugging bugs that are not actually bugs, takes a lot of time.

I am really happy with your input, and I would be happy with actual bugs being reported. But I do friendly want to request to doublecheck your reports before you send them in.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

no, not my duct tape, anything but my duct tape!
I totally didn't forget that I need to make a map for the tourney and totally didn't waste an entire day going through all 5 eps of the wolf among us
Now I noticed that I joined the forum on April's 7. My birthday is April's 8. I purchased RPG Maker as a gift for myself and had forgotten this. :guffaw:
too... many... ideas... can't... edit them down :dizzy:
Don't you love your work?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
800degreesFahrenheit