Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just updated my project!

What has changed?
  • New play mode!
  • New cards!
  • New tables!
New Play Mode!
In the 1st version, you had to win games to gain gold and use gold to buy cards. Your deck would grow slowly and it would never end. If you had enough cards, you could pick 3 types of games: Short, standard and long.

I scrapped that. Now everyone starts a run with a short 8 card game. You will battle one of the easier opponents first. After each game, you will unlock 3 more cards, and your enemy decks will grow with you.

Enemy decks get harder the longer a run lasts. And the run lasts until you lose 3 games. Win more games in a run to make it on the score board, then try to beat your own score!

New cards!
New cards have been added to the game:
Card35.pngCard36.pngCard37.pngCard38.png
Card39.png

New Tables!
I can be quick about it, I thought the table was ugly, so I redesigned it. I also added one with a festive theme for the holidays.

One last thing
I totally forgot about this before... But I have added credits to the game. :p

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I cannot even or barely win a game because of the opponents I get.
they get 1/4 and 3/4 and 1/7 to increase their DEF, but I won 2 battles,
but it's harder than before while I play 1 card first and it's crazy :p

but the way it is done is nicer as well though :)
while the opponents are probably random, the card increases are the
same amount as you have, but they also probably get duplicates.

the cop "Buster" is probably 1 of teh worse to get early on, beause it get
2x of a card if the card on table is destroyed.

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey.

Enemy hero's are not random. You start with one of 3 opponents. Every match another opponent is added to the queue. The decks of the enemies are carefully selected, to make the decks unique. When enemy decks grow, they do not just get duplicates, or completely random cards. Each deck has a second stock of cards ready from which cards are taken when they are short on cards at the start of a match.

Some enemy decks are harder than others, and yes, buster is the hardest deck of them all. They are all beatable, but it is a tough game. Unlocking more cards will help, however the extra cards buster gets are still larger than most. This battle can not be an opening game, though.

The opponents that can open a run are:
- Rats
- Ramona (Zombie)
- Samira

I am working on balancing this out... I thought my game was pretty much balance-risk-free, but that changed when I changed the play mode. Suddenly balance is soooo important. I already tuned the Ramona Zombie deck. This one would have been too hard for a 1st round game.

I will keep working on the balance, making sure early decks are easier to beat, and harder decks are not... But then again, I don't want to make it too easy, so everyone will end up on top of the scoreboard.

Thanks for your input! And I am happy you like the new flow of the game.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I had Ramona first (lost), than Buster (lost), than a buddy (lost too).
I got some of the same when winning, but I do my best, ended up 10th place.

EDIT: I got the rat deck ar 4th (probably the most easiest deck to win too),
but some are doable ONLY if you get the right cards after you lose or win.

btw, is it also possible that you get the same opponent 2x in a row or
sooner or later that can happen?

Last edited:

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah... You are 100% right, I do have to work on the balance a lot. I am working on it. Really.

The rat deck is the easiest indeed. There is 1 rather strong card in that deck (3/2), but that strong deck yet also gives the other player (you) 2 brown rats. Rats should be an absolute win.

No, it is not possible to get the same enemy deck again unless ALL the other enemy decks have passed. This will reset when the run ends.

Here is how I did it now (but will change it, cause it is too hards in the start)

• When the run starts I have a queue with 3 enemies in there: Enemy 2, 3 and 4. (Enemy 1 is tutorial)
  • At the start of a match, you will get enemy 2, 3 or 4 at random.
  • When boss 2 is selected, then 2 is removed from the queue, and enemy 5 is added.
  • Now in the queue there is: 3, 4 and 5

• If you not get enemy 2 first, but enemy 4, enemy 4 is removed from the queue, and 7 is added.
  • In that case the new queue is 2, 3 and 7
There is always 3 enemies in the queue, till they all have been played. Then the queue will be reset to 2, 3 and 4. This works, but... But this way it is possible to get the hardest decks early on in the game, like happened to you.

Oh... And the Buster deck is really, really too hard. It has multiple 3/4 cards, and to make it worse:upon death they will each shuffle 2 more 3/4 cards into their deck. (It is the Robin cards, calling for backup, shuffling 2 buster cards in the deck)

I do promise you right here, right now, that I will improve the balance of enemy heroes.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hre is a base setup (it doesn't match though, so see it as example:

my base starts around this.

2x 1/1
2x 2/1
2x 1/2
2x 3/1
2x 2/2

enemey base or first enemy (when your sister for example:

2x 2/4
2x/ 5/5
2x 3/2
2x 1/6
2x 1/4

than how can you suppose to win this fight? if you lose all 1 attack against
a higher defense (no offense), but this happend alot of time, so the possibility
to win is way harder.

what I can suggest or recommend (but still your choice) because I dont know how
you set up the game entirely is to use a variable for the enemy enemy decks.

when 0, it also have weaker card (all), but if you win, it goes +1, so the deck
become stronger (maybe different cards suiteable to them).
when lose, nothing is added, but if you rewards card on lose anyway,
the deck also increased, maybe +1 strong cad in his deck or duplicates)

I think you can find a way to balance this very nicely though.
so it wont be too hard, not to easy, but more in between so the chances
are more equil (in my opinion and view of point). but while you said earlier
you use 4-5 variables, just to check the turn on winning or not.

I think you can agreed on some views in my perspective, but adding it is
totally different in the way you have set it up and might not be possible as well.

but I hope you understand though, the game is great and graphic and it's
really nicely done, I wouldn't do better as well :)

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That is not right... In the sister deck (Ramona zombie deck), there is plenty 1/1 cards (rats), and a few 3/3 cards. It used to be a deck full of zombies, but I dialed that down by a lot already. You are probably talking about the Samira deck.

Like I said in my last post: I will work on the balance some more. The earlier games should be easier to beat than follow up games.

But, I do not want it to be an easy to beat game. I know there is a possibility you will lose, because that is part of the game... But you play against a very, very stupid AI, who just places random cards in open slots. It doesn't even look at your cards yet... That should really be in your advantage when the decks are well balanced.

I didn't say I use 4~5 variables to check if the game is won... I said I need to check 16 variables in 4 different ways to see if it is a tie. (You can see, that is a little more complicated.)

But balancing the game is mostly complicated for whole other reasons... I wish I could show you how I do it, but that would mean... Well, couple of dozen of screenshots, and half a book per screenshot to explain what is going on. But to give you a little sense of how decks look like:
--------------------------------

The players beginner deck: [1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4]
Each number is a card.
That means card with id 1 to 4 are all in the deck twice.

Each enemy has not 1, but 2 of those rows.
The first deck is always 8 cards. Those 8 cards are always in enemy's deck.
When the player has more than 8 cards, I take extra number from the enemies second row and add them in the first row.
If also the second row is empty, the cards added are random.

So, to balance the deck, I only have to change those little rows of number...
The hard part is finding out which number to change them in. (I can't just fill up each deck with rats. Haha.)

I just have to create deck after deck after deck and test them again and again and again, to improve the balance. That is not done over night. That will take 100's of test runs.

I hope that explains a little of what I did.

Edit: You didn't think I would add cards manually after each win, did you? :p It is not as if I would make a condition for each match × each enemy, so after each game you win, I would pick a card for each enemy deck. :p I select the decks, in what order the cards are unlocked and drawn, that is all decided by luck. (Like any other card game). This is how I can guarantee that EVERY run is different. One time an enemy deck will have better cards than the other time. Even when you battle the same enemy twice in 1 run, they will still not have the exact same deck (accept for the 8 starter cards, they are always in the deck).

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
after the zombie sister (2nd time), and 8 wins and 2 ♥♥ left for the run, this
stupid error pops up D: (only lost once of buster:

NOOOOOO.png

I cannot tell what cause this, but after winning the battle (couldn't press "you win") because
this pops up just before that.

here goes my perfect hand D: (you got proof of my 8th run in DM). so you know how far I got.

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah poop. Yeah that happens with yanfly plugins in a browser sometimes. The thing is... It happens soooo rarely, that I have no idea where to start looking for the problem.

I have listened to you, though. I have re-written the way decks are chosen. Now the first 3 games, will all 3 always be against deck 2, 3 and for 4, and only after the third game, harder decks are added to the game.

This means, you should have some suitable cards when you meet Buster. Also, busters deck becomes easier to beat, with less Robin cards. (Those are 3/4 cards, and shuffle 2 more 3/4 cards when destroyed, making this one impossible to beat without owning that card... It used to start with 2... Now it starts with 1 regular 3/4 card, and when the deck grows it might possibly gain the Robin card as well.)

This should make it a lot easier to at least get on the score board.

Also... After next update you will be able to save your game. And your high score. (Unless you delete your cookies. If you delete your cookies, you delete your save as well) So if this happens again, at least you don't have to start over. I wish I could deal with the error all together, but I don't know what is wrong.

I do 2 or 3 more tests before I upload it the update.

FleshToDust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was finally able to give your game a play. Here's the video and my thoughts.

One idea for improvement I think would be if your card survives the round, you can return it to the deck. It's a good way for you to say
"do I go full out and risk losing my card or play it safe and retrieve it for a later battle?"

Big fan of your game overall. Curious how you did the mouse inputs as you'll see in the video.
Keep up the great work! I enjoyed myself a lot while playing.

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, it is impressive how you understand the game so quickly. As in how to play. Even though you totally forgot you can click your card to see what a skull or fist means. If you read up in this topic, you will see that I mostly get people finding it too hard. It gets harder further on in the game. Getting on top of the score board is not easy.

It is not a tie when you run out of cards the same time. The player who had last turn will win.

You ask at 12:00 in the video: "Why leave the secondary slots open" If you can kill the board, it is better to see what cards the opponent plays first. Secondary slots are mostly useful for the Fist cards, which act when they are moved into the front.

Near the end, there is a problem with shuffling them back to the deck... That would restore all health, and worse... That world restore the battle shout.

Thanks for doing on this video!! :thumbsup-right: Mind if I share it?

(Btw, did you watch the video yourself? All your questions are answered in the opening of your video. ;) ) Next time remember you can see the details of the card by clicking the card again after selecting it, like you did during the tutorial.

Edit I see why you win everything... You are very lucky to buy the "Robin" card right away after your first match. That is... by FAR... the most powerful card in the deck. :p Next time you won't be so lucky, friend! Hahaha!

Last edited:

FleshToDust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh I never forgot I could see the card details by clicking it, I just never thought of clicking it to see what the fist and skull ones did.

Don't forget that when I say things in the video, it's the first time I'm seeing them. Watching the video after it's finished wont erase what I said at the time of recording. That's why you see me ask questions which I later figure out with halfway through the video.

I've been playing trading card games since I was a kid so you might say I'm quite a veteran at them by now. Cards are in my blood. lol.

It's the heart of the cards mang. I have faith in my grandfathers deck and my faith rewards me with Robin. OBLITERATE!!!

Also yep, as we discussed in the youtube comments, feel free to share it as much as you want.

Last edited:

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know. You play the game for the first time, and I learned something important from your video: The tutorial needs to be improved badly!

It was already on my to do list, but now it has priority #1.

I am adding a skull and a fist card to the tutorial, and have the engine explain what they do, as soon as they are played for the first time. Even if the player does not look at the cards.

Thanks again. Yeah I know, I asked it here first, but then you replied on youtube, so I asked there as well. :p I was eager to share. Haha.

Anyhow... I wondered if you would be interested in doing this again, on something completely different.
I will send you a DM.

FleshToDust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh yeah, tutorials are a must for teaching players the in and outs of your game. Im glad my video helped you. Thats my goal in these videos.

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh you made it for me, as feedback? I thought it was just a "lets play" channel. :p

FleshToDust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I dont do lets plays, no. First Look and feedback on my experience. Ways to improve it, overall thoughts etc.

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
UPDATE: A lot has happened over the past few weeks. And when I say a lot, I mean a lot!

Before I even posted the game online for the first time, I knew I had made one huge mistake. I worked around it, but it kept causing problems.

Without going into detail, this was the problem: At first I made the game with basic cards, thinking I could add special cards after. As soon as I added cards with special skills, the problems started going left, right, up and down. Where one bug was fixed, another was born.

So I have re-written the whole game!! It took me 2 weeks, but it was worth it!

The reason it took me so long, was... well... Because it is boring!! So I got distracted by the idea I wanted to improve the AI of my game. (in the previous the AI just played random cards... Not that impressive.) This slowed me down more than I like to admit, but with results!

Your opponent new can calculate even 1 turn ahead (if there is enough cards on the table for that) to see which card to play in the secondary slots.

I also re-balanced the decks. Your first opponent each run (after the tutorial) will always be the rat. This match is pretty easy, nearly impossible to lose. But after that, it is up to fait who you battle. There are 10 enemy decks so far! (Tutorial deck not included.)

Something else that has changed, is the design of the board. The board is all the way red and blue, with exact as much red in it as blue. During the players turn, all the red will turn black, while on the opponents turn all the blue will turn black. This effect even appears within the menu items, message windows and choice options. When it is your turn, everything appears blue, otherwise it's red.

That is a funny little trick, but it fades next to the changes in the AI. It was a fun game to play before, but now it will be a real challenge to hit that scoreboard. Can you do it?

You can play the game without download:

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have updated the game with:
- new cards with new powers
- faster AI
- Solved a bug where the game randomly thinks it's a tie.

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you guys seen the latest update yet? New cards have been added, with new powers!! Before, you could increase health of your cards, or if you were lucky your opponent would do it for you. If you got unlucky, your cards would double the health of enemy cards.

Now there is a follow up card. (card #40) Dotty! When Dotty is played she will set all cards attack to be equal to their current health. When her card is destroyed, a zombie version of this card (card #41) is shuffled into the deck of the player that played Dotty.

When then zombie card is played, it will do the same this again, but this time only affects friendly cards: It will set the attack of cards to be equal to their current health.

When you unlock the right cards, and you can combine them well, you can create some very, very strong cards... But so can your opponent.

Card #42 is the most recent card. Dicky Squirtwater. A 1/9 clown! When this card is on the table, no matter if it is played by you or your opponent, all cards will be randomly played, while the enemy AI is still active.

Dicky S. is a perfect counter to card Dotty. Dotty is all about playing the card at the right time. When autoplay is on, it will transform Dicky into a 9/9 card (if at full health) while the effect at your own cards might be wasted, when it is played on card with low HP.

So even though Dotty should be placed at the right time, keeping her in your hand might be even more dangerous.

However, the Dicky card is rare, also for opponent decks.

I hope you enjoy my new cards. And I would love to hear with you think of the game.

Link to the game:
https://johndoenews.itch.io/bitemecards
No download required, plays in browser.

If you want to leave feedback, you can always reply to this post, or you can join my server on discord:
https://discord.gg/Z7VdHXt

Oh, and before I forget... Happy hollidays!

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The new A.I. is much, and I mean MUCH smarter now!!!

You might or might not have heard that I almost lost my whole project... This happened to be a blessing in disguise! Because I had to re-do some things I lost, bus had no clue what I lost, I had to check everything, and I mean everything!!

This is how I found out that the A.I. made one huge mistake. It is too much to explain, but a long story short: Because of my mistake, every first card played by the A.I. per turn had 50% chance of landing in the wrong slot. The same would go for secondary cards.

It was a stupid mistake and easy to fix. But because the AI already was a huge improvement before, this error just never got noted.

So if you think the A.I. got smarter last month... Think again! This will make the game a lot harder to beat, and I mean a lot harder!!

If you didn't try my game before, or if you did and thought it needed improvement... Then you really should give it (another) try. And I mean, you really, really should!

Feedback is still always welcome. My game would not have made it this far without input of my players!!

Play for free, and I mean really 100% free!
No download required, and I mean no download at all!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I've been using a modified version of a script called Multiple Messages. It makes my text boxes look like a Mario & Luigi game! There is something about it that bothers me a little bit, but I shouldn't worry about that now.

Side note, Mist's walking animation is almost perfectly in sync with Loose Yourself by Eminem.
Starting work on some stuff for the community. Hopefully it will be fun, and useful to somebody.
Searching what to play in my dead times, the nostalgia hit me hard and ended downloading the Patapon trilogy, hope I can avenge my child self and beating all the games hahaha
Finished the frontier and...I apologize to anyone who saw the trailer I posted and actually tried it. Technical marvel, crazy disjointed fetish story hidden inside a cheap milsim skin that has no idea what it's trying to be except sanctimonious and failing at even that. As much as I hate fallout 4's story, even it was better. I guess there just won't be another non-parody fallout after all.
Anyone else having trouble posting in the forum? I have no reply box in posts or in messages. This is the only place I can type. @Archeia?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EpicLast