Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Feedback Wanted!

BoardTitle.png
Intro
First of all, BiteMe! Story Mode is NOT the same game as BiteMe! Cards.

The story mode plays like an RPG, in which you collect cards and while you follow the story-line. In a semi-open world, you can make friends and defeat enemies. But instead of a fight, you will have to defeat them in a game of cards.

The card game in BiteMe! Story Mode works the same as the card game in BiteMe! Cards, but everything else is new.

The story
When Remco and his sister Ramona drive home after a halloween party, they are surprised by a stranger in their car. The intruder did not get aboard for a free ride, or a good conversation... He came to kill the twins.

**2 months later**
By now, Remco is recovered from the crash. His sister was less fortunate. She got killed in a crash caused by the struggle between the twins and the intruder.

While Remco is about to reconnect with his friends, the police has still no clue where to look for the killer. He might have to investigate himself.

But then Maaike comes in the picture. She asks Remco to perform a ritual with her. A ritual that was supposed to bring his twin sister back to life... Not much longer they will mark this moment is THE cause of the end of the world.

Zombies, a serial killer, a man who thinks he is a god in a world he created... The end of the world is at hand, and you have to stop it.

More story!
I am writing the events out, like a novel. Nothing fancy, just a way to tell the whole story in detail. I write small parts at a time, 1 or 2 pages, and share this in my discord server. I will insert the first few posts here (in the spoiler below) for those who want to read it. But if you want to read more, you should join my server: https://discord.gg/Z7VdHXt

Remco and Ramona are getting ready for their Halloween party. Everyone will be there, but more excitingly: It will be their first Halloween as an adult. Eighteen is the magical number: Booze is suddenly legal. Weed is suddenly legal. Sex is suddenly legal! Yes, eighteen is the magical number.

"What are you going to wear?" Ramona asked, while she tried to fit in her clown costume. "You are going to dress up, are you not?"
"No, sis." Remco replied. He didn't even look up from his computer. He was about to break Ramona's high score on Mario Kart.
"Wait... Are you serious?" She dropped her mask and turned to her twin brother at the same time. "You are going to be the only one without a costume." It was as if Remco did not even hear her.
"Oh no! Almost half a second short." He dropped the controller on the carpet and turned off his console. "This is nonsense. How did you get a time like this in the first place?"

But Remco did hear her, though. And he did want to wear a costume to the party. He wanted to, but he couldn't afford it. Remco has secretly being saving up money to buy a car. And today he finally picked it up. It is nothing fancy... But it is a car. And it is al his! That is the real reason he did not respond to his sisters question. He wants her to be surprised to see him get in the car, instead of on his bike.
He can hardly wait to show her, but he has to be patient. His twin sister is taking forever to put on her costume.
The party has just been started when Abdul and Samira arrive. He was wearing a skeleton costume and she was dressed as a vampire lady. They spend weeks preparing for this. Their goal was to win the title 'Best Costume' tonight.

The party is being held in an abandonned mansion. David had claimed this old building for himself. He doesn't live there, because that would be illegal. But according to Marterdam law, any abandonned building can be claimed for bussiness purposes, so David changed the mansion into a bar.

Not to many people are present yet.
"I told you we had time to stop for a burger first." Abdul pokes Samira with his elbow. "You just don't like me to get fat, do you?" He laughed while he took his jacket off.
"I just don't like to come in last, you know." Samira said. "All eyes are on you when you come in last. I don't like it." She gave her coat and backpack to Abdul. "I need to visit the little room. Could you check those in for me, please?"

In the back of the bar, there is a girl playing on one of the arcade machines. It is Martina. She lives next door to the twins and goes to the same school. Martina was the first person to show up tonight. She's drinking beer and playing some silly card game. Her mother would worry that she spends too much money on those arcades, but Martina knows something her mother does not: If you play your cards right, you play all night for just one quarter.

Abdul and Samira go straight to the bar.
"Hey guys." David knows them well. Abdul helped him set the bar up and Samira and he used to be a thing before she got with Abdul.
"What is up?" Abdul shook Davids hand. "Can I have a beer for me, and a rum and diet coke for Samira?"
"Sure." David swept the counter with a wet rug. "That will be six guilders thirty. Find yourself a table and I'll bring it to you."
"We are good where we are." Samira said smiling. "Unless you are busy, that is."
"For you? Never." David laughed while he accepted the money from Abdul. "Thanks."
"You take a beer on me, too." Abdul was trying to be friendly, but sometimes he just couldn't stand the way Samira and David talk to each other. "Cheers, my friend."
It is almost eleven when Remco and Ramona park the car in the parking lot next to their block. They live in a car-free block, so parking in front of their house was not an option.
"So, what do you think?" Remco rubs the steering wheel. "Isn't she a beauty?" He doesn't seem to notice the crack in the mirror, the cuts in the backs of both seats and the many, many cigarette burn-holes in the back seat.
"She?" Ramona laughs out loud and with joy. "It is a car. It drives, which is nice. It is big, which is also good. But it is not a woman. And it is for sure not a beauty!"

Someone is lurking in the back of the parking lot. The unknown creature keeps a keen eye on the twins in the car, bur from a safe distance. Even if the twins would look straight this way, they would probably not see anyone. This person is dressed in all black and has a dark scarf in front of their face.

"Are you ready to go inside?" Ramona is almost done laughing at her brother. "Or do you want a moment alone with your new girlfriend first?"
"You laugh at me?" Remco can hardly hide his frustration. "You are the one in a clown costume. A rather creepy one as well." He really thought she would be proud. Or at least pleased they don't have to ride the bike to the university anymore.
"Oh come on..." She finally gets herself together and stops laughing. "Listen, having a car is nice. But you can't call 'her' a beauty. You understand that, right."

A police car rolls up. The twins won't even have noticed, if the cop was not shining a large, very bright light in and around the parked cars, but that is exactly what the cop is doing.
"What are they looking for?" Ramona points at the cop car, as if Remco would be confused about who she is talking about. "Or... Or who!" She shakes his arm and shoulder while she yells, in a poor attempt to freak him out.
"I don't know." Remco ignores his sisters Halloween spirit. "Buster probably sends Robin on some bullshit mission again."

Remco has a point there. Buster and Robin used to be partners. Two detectives against the non-existing crime spree of Marterdam. There was never a murder to solve, or an attack to prevent. Their jobs were pointless and boring. Buster and Robin both agreed on that, but the pay was good.
City hall noticed this aswell. They payed for two expensive detectives while there were no murders to solve. After a vote, city hall ordered the sheriff to reposition the detectives. They both became police officers.

Three months later, the sheriff retired. The deputy was the most logical successor. When Robin found out the deputy sheriff would be promoted to sheriff, the decided to apply for deputy sheriff. It happened so fast, he went in the office an officer, and he came out a deputy. Nothing was official yet, but he pretty much get cheers and applause when he announced his candidacy. Soon everyone in the station knew: Daisy is going to be the new sheriff, and Robin would take her place as deputy. Everyone knew, except for Buster.

That all happened seven years ago, but Buster is still pretty upset about it. He gets payed half as much as he did as an detective, while Robins salary has doubled. But Buster is mostly upset his partner didn't tell him he was running for deputy.

Remco and Ramona know all this. Robin used to date their mother for years. And Buster was always wherever Robin was.
"Why do you think Robin keeps riding out for those fake calls?" Ramona can't see which officer is in the car, but she just assumed it was Robin. He might be the deputy now, but if you saw a cop in patrol in Marterdam, is was pretty much always Buster.
"He feels guilty, of course!" Remco grins. "He never meant to screw his buddy over. He simply didn't think about it and applied for the job in an impulse."
"Oh poop! He's coming this way!" Ramona quickly puts her bag under her chair as if it contains a gun.
"What are you doing?" Remco asks. He shakes his head and laughs. "You got weed in your bag or something?"
"No..." Ramona seems a bit confused. "I panicked. I don't know. I guess I saw that in a movie?"
"I do!" Remco opens the gloves compartment. Inside there is a little plastic seal bag with a big top of weed.
Ramona screams. "Put that away, you idiot! What? Why are you laughing?"
"Relax! Don't poop your pants in my car! We're eighteen now, remember. We are allowed to have weed." Remco closed the gloves box and laughs loudly. "Too bad you wear a mask... I would have loved to see your face!"

The card game
Both the player and the AI opponent, are on opposite sides of the table. In default mode this means the player is left and the AI is right, while in power mode the player is at the bottom and the AI is on top.

1625870057621.png
1625870224540.png

Each card has 2 values. An attack value and a health value. At the end of each turn, each card will do their attack worth of damage, to the health of the card directly in front of them.

When the health of a card falls to or below 0, it is destroyed. The player that rus out of cards first, loses the game.

The Cards
Cards come in different sorts. Some cards only have their attack and health values. Some however, have a special skill. Cards with a fist-icon will trigger this skill when they are played. Cards with a skill-icon will trigger this skill when destroyed.

Those skills can be many different things. Here are just a few examples of what skills can do:
  • Deal X damage to all enemy cards
  • Deal X damage to ALL cards
  • Deal X damage randomly split between enemy cards
  • Deal X damage randomly split between ALL cards
  • Deal X damage to a random enemy card
  • Deal X damage to ANY random card

• Give friendly cards +X health.
  • Give ALL cards +X health.
  • Double the health off friendly cards.
  • Double the health off ALL cards.

• Shuffle a copy of card X in your deck.
  • Shuffle a copy of card X in BOTH decks.
These are just the most common ones. I got 30 skills in total so far.

Unlocking and upgrading cards
When you defeat an opponent for the first time, you will unlock their unique card. It will be added to your deck once, and becomes available when buying random copies.
If this opponent is a friendly character, they might show up at your base (In chapter 1 that is the mansion) where drop a second unique card.

After you found some gold, you can copy your cards at any computer. Which copy you get is random. If you end up with 3 copies of the same card, they will be destroyed and replaced with 1 upgraded version of the card.

A card can upgrade 4 times: Uncommon, Rare, Epic and Legendary. (Yeah, very original... I even use the same colors... Green, Blue, Purple and Gold)
Card1.pngCard2.pngCard3.pngCard4.pngCard5.png

This is not a hearthstone rip-off!!
I know, the further my game develops, the more lines I see between my own game and hearthstone. The rarities and the corresponding colors only underline this. However, pretty much NOTHING in the game, works like hearthstone. Even though it might sometimes look like it does at first glance.

In my game, you always have enough cards in your hand (unless your out of cards completely). There is no hero to attack, your goal is to destroy the opponent deck. You can not choose your target during attacks or when playing a card with a skill. Also your power card will all ways either targets at random, or targets all.

I will not deny that Hearthstone is one of my favorite games and I do get inspiration out of that game, but I try to make my own thing and not to copy them, as much as possible. There will always be a few parts that are very much alike. (Just like any JRPG has parts that play very similar as FF7 or something)

Where to play the game
Chapter one is playable for free as HTML5 game. (This means: Play in browser, no download required.)
The full game will be a download!

The reason behind this simple: My game is getting too large to run smoothly in a browser. There is large images moving over the screen all the time. And while this might not be a problem for new computers with a fast internet connection, this is a problem for everyone who plays on a older computer, who doesn't have fast internet, or who wants to spare his data bundle.

The full game is not available as download just yet, but chapter one is already available is HTML5 game.

(If you read this and you've been following my topic for BiteMe! Cards, you might think a lot if this sounds familliar. This is because I've been talking about this game, in the topics made for the card game. I just never got around making a topic for this game so far. Since this is been my main project for over 6 months now, I thought it was time it got its own topic. Specially since both games receiver frequent updates and they are both available as stand-alone game.)

Last edited:

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am adding a daily reward system to my game. The first time they load their game each day, they will get 1 reward. The more rewards they claim in 1 month, the better the rewards become.

On the 1st and 2nd day, they get 5 gold.
On the 3rd dat they get a random copy of their starter cards.
On the 4th and 5th day, they get 10 gold.
And so on, and so on.

Once the month is over, the calendar will reset and start back at reward 1. So only if they log in each day in a month with 31 days, they will receive the largest bonus.

(Oh... While I type this all, I see a typo in the screenshot... The 6th reward is marked "5"... Oops! I'll change that now. Let's just pretend it isn't in the screen shot at all.)

1628711087374.png

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I made a video update on the game.

In this video I show you a few new features in my game:
- New flash-screen, showing before the title screen.
- New intro soundstrack (by Arkbeats)
- New daily reward system
- Gameplay against medium advances opponent

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey guys... I would like some feedback on my project.

Here is some things I would really like to know:
  1. Dialogue
    • Is it too long? Or maybe you like it even longer?
    • How is the grammar? Did you find any typo's?
  2. Events
    • Were you tempted to interact with on map objects?
    • Did objects seem to work correctly?
    • Were there any objects you thought would be interactive, but were not?
  3. Card game
    • Is it clear what to do in the card game?
    • Do you like how the card game is played?
    • Have you run into any bugs?
Of course you do not have to answer all the questions, but if you have an opinion on any of those (or anything else), I'd love to hear about it.

I am okay with negative feedback. But if you tell me you don't like my game, I would like to know why. What did you think I should have done differently?

You can play my game here: https://johndoenews.itch.io/biteme-storymode
It is a HTML game, so no download is needed. You play directly in the browser.

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I made my characters wait in line for their turn to order beer in the mansion.
The more friendly characters you meet, the more friends will gather up here.
The more friends gather up, the longer the line at the bar.

And you, as player, has to wait in line, just like anybody else!

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's a Christmas card!!

During the december update, there will be a Christmas tree standing in the big hall in the mansion. This Christmas tree has a nice present for any player who visits it during the december month.

It will also unlock a Christmas Tree card! This card will shuffle random presents of the same tier in both players deck when played. So a zero-star-tree shuffles zero-star presents in the decks and four-star-trees will shuffle four-star-presents in the decks.

There will be red, blue and green presents, which all get stronger with each tier. The res present will deal damage to all enemies when destroyed. The blue present will deal damage split between enemies when destroyed. The higher the tier, the more damage.

The cards are planned to be added to the game on december 1st. And december 31st, the event will disappear as soon as the clock hits midnight.

I hope you all enjoy my version of a Christmas card!
Have a wonderful Christmas, everyone!

Attachments

• Card141-160.png
    Card141-160.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
20 festive cards can now be unlocked in BiteMe!

The cards are permanent, but can only be unlocked in December!
Once the year is over, you won't be able to unlock the cards, or to upgrade it.

So wait no longer, and unlock the cards today!!
Just activate the Christmas Tree in the Mansion to unlock the card.

https://johndoenews.itch.io/biteme-storymode

Card141-160-Ad.png

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The new cards and what they do:

(I am clearly not a youtuber... Haha)

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Today is the last day you can unlock the Christmas Tree and also the last day you can upgrade it.

For those who plan to play my game at some point, but not have played it just yet, then today is a good day to start.

The card can be unlocked after winning the 4th battle. You will unlock the mansion, in which a Christmas tree stands. Activate it to gain a poor and an uncommon copy of the card. Make copies at any PC to upgrade them, like any other card.

And do not forget to tell me what you think of the game! I love feedback. I like to hear what was good, but I also like to hear what could have been done better.

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Chapter 2 is now live!!

The story continues, with plenty of new opponents to beat and cards to unlock!

Latest Profile Posts

Been playing through Skies of Arcadia again, and it really makes me wanna see someone try to implement how ship battles were done in the game into RPG Maker (or really just in general).
split.png
split view of both versions of the pocket city you traverse through. there's differences like areas only being accessible in one version of Autumn Bay. or events that only happen in one or the other.
theortically if there were a developer who spied on people's game playthroughs and changed things in real time to make it harder for them, what might be said game developer's motivation?
Hi everyone! Enjoying this nice long weekend. How are you all doing? :)
I just successfully tested having events check if specific actors are in a particular party slot and then changing image to match. This will let me make scenes take into account who is in the party at the time and arrange them accordingly - this is important since I'll have extra actors beyond current party. The script used is the same from MV and is compatible with my current core plugin setup in MZ. Thank goodness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dndrself