Did you play the Demo / Full release?

• I played the full release (after 10/28)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've played both. Keep it coming.

• I'm a very rich & hot female. I'm your #1 fan and I want to marry you. No prenup. ;)

• Total voters

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Prologue
A long, long, loooong time ago, somewhere last year, I bought a tileset (Pop!Horror city pack) on steam. I loved it so much, I did spend weeks building a city, not being satisfied with the result, deleting it and do it again. Until I ended up with the city Marterdam.

I knew the theme was going to be a zombie series, so I game up with the title: BiteMe!

Title.png

Then I needed a story. Easy peasy! Story writing is one my stronger skills, so I wrote Twins for the first game. BiteMe!Twins is a sad story about a brother and a sister. One of them dies, and the other, that would be you*. The story starts a couple months after your* siblings death.

*When I say "you" I mean the main character of BiteMe!Twins

But then I hit a problem... Turn based battle didn't really stroke with the game, and I didn't have good battlers.

BiteMe!Twins ended op on a shelve, with all my other abandoned disasters. But much later, I was fooling around with some ABS plugins. And loved it! So I made a intro for yet a new project, with RTP. However, I was really not getting anywhere mapping. Whatever I had in my head, never seem to came out on the map. And the story was kind of far fetched. This didn't float my boat, and I was ready to start all over again.

Then it hit me: This battle system, could revive BiteMe!Twins. I loved the story I wrote, I loved the characters I made and I specially loved the city I created. All it needed was a good battle system.

So I took this ABS plugin (by Pheonix KageDesu) and dropped it in BiteMe!Twins. I had to rewrite the complete game, because the ABS plugin and the MoveRouteCore plugin, do not support each other. So if I wanted the ABS, I had to get rid of MoveRouteCore (by yanfly). And all my scenes depended on this heavily.

Tute.png

So I rewrote...
First you get to choose your character, out of four. You can choose to be male or female, and you can choose to have white or dark skin. Your twin automatically gets the opposite gender, and the same skin color.

CharSel.png

Intro scene:
You and your friend David, rent a place in Marterdam, a little university town. David wants to take you to the bar, where the is tapping beer. Al your friends will be there, and you haven't seen them since the funeral. You can try to refuse, but David is persistent: It is time you see your friends again.

On your way to the bar, a girl friend university is watching you from the shadows. When you confront here, David will call her a Voodoo Witch. This offends Maaike, for several reasons. First the term is voodoo pries, and second, she claims to be a necromancer. David calls her crazy and leaves, but you may want to know more. Can she bring your twin back?

After you talk about bringing your twin back, Maaike tells you to go to the bar, where you were headed. But when you get out at midnight, she's waiting for you. All she needs is a bunch of flowers, and she'd bring your twin back for you.

The next morning, there is a zombie in your yard. Yes, it is your twin, but it isn't really. The eyes are empty, and all it does, is try to bite anyone.

Game play:
After the intro, the game goes rogue, and open world. You can go anywhere, fight as many zombies as you can handle, as long as you find your sibling back before halloween. You can pick up quests on the way, collect gear, make new allies and new enemies.

If you can find and stop your twin before halloween, you're the hero of the town, but if you die... You'll have to start all over! All quests you've completed, all friends you've made, all items you collected, even your levels and skills... Gone! But you will keep your armor and your weapons. And you will be able to skip the tutorial/intro. If you die, you wake up back at the moment your twin was in the yard, so you can start into action right away.

the whole game is playable on any computer, or smartphone, without downloading.

Preview and release:
I got a preview/demo on Itch.io. This will show the full intro and the tutorial for the battle system.
On the 28th I will release the full game, right before halloween. It will replace the demo and will still be 100% free.
BiteMe!Twins demo
No download required!

I would love to hear what you think of the game. Do you like it so far? Have you hit any bugs or errors? Anything else you want to say to me after playing the demo? Please reply! Any feedback is good feedback.

Last edited:

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
*3 days later*
Still waiting for moderation...

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Any feedback, any feedback at all, would be appreciated.

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have changed the complete setup of the game.

I got many complaints about battle being too hard and story being too long. And they were right... Battle was hard. And you were spending at least 15 minutes reading story and dialogue before you even found your first zombie...

So that I did re-build the game from the start, using the same story, same city and same battle system. Everything else, each event, and the database, are completely re-written.

The game is divided in several modes now:
- Story mode. Play scenes to unlock battlegrounds.
- Battleground mode. Complete objectives for rewards.
- Arena mode. Kill zombies for XP.

The full game is playable on itch,io. And I will add new scenes, battlegrounds, weapons, spells and more every few days. With every update, I will raise the level cap by 1.

The game is rogue like (in hero mode) which means: If you die, you have to start over.
I wipe all your saves when you die, and replace them with a New Game+.
Your story progress will be carried over, and your weapons and armor too. And your money.

But you will have to unlock every battleground again, you will have to collect your followers again and... You will have to level up, again.

The alternative is p*ssy mode. In this mode, you will keep your saves when you die. You will never get a new game plus, and can just load your last saved game after the game-over screen.

I would love to hear what any of you think about this setup. Is this an improvement?
(You can only answer the last, if you have played the earlier version too)

onipunk

Archmage of Procrastination
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'd maybe not call the easier mode "p*ssy mode" in your posts, it comes off as overly hostile towards any potential players. There are lots of legitimate reasons for people not wanting to play with permadeath, or for wanting to make their play experience more enjoyable according to their individual tastes, and insulting people for wanting that isn't a good look.

As for the game itself, it's got some interesting ideas and nice art. Roguelikes aren't my thing but I'm at leats interested to see where it goes. Given the limitations of RPG Maker I assume there's not going to be any procedural generation like in most roguelikes? So are the map and game progressions going to be the same every time, or are you going to try and implement some random elements to shake things up a bit? I'd also consider offering a downloadable version. I know you're touting the browser based nature of it but some people just want an EXE for stability or compatibility reasons, and if it costs you nothing to cater to that then you may as well do it and expand your potential audience.

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got this comment a lot, about p*ssy mode. But it sets the mood for the game directly. f-bombs drop more often than zombie bites. However... I also get a lot of players who love how people curse in my game.

I think no matter what choice I make here, I will always disappoint some audience. The truth is, you can't please everyone. At least when people are offended by p*ssy mode, they will leave before they come to some real offensive dialogue. :p The humor is dark. And if that's not their thing, than this isn't their game. :p

Good thing those people exist too, though. Otherwise who's gonna buy the new Spyro? :p

Sparky89

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Played the demo, the swearing and the random, verbal attacks are just not attractive. not sure why I was able to walk around the world map at the start... the ABS is fine, i'm also using this. the tutorial was GREAT ! good explanation i like how it zooms in, and explains, how things work. however the dialogue isn't for me. thanks for sharing.

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for your feedback.

I want to reply, but before I say anything else, I want to note that this is an older version of the game I am currently working on.

I have let go of the ABS system. I indeed love the system, but in the end I want to be able to sell my game, and the plugin I used is not allowed in commercial projects. Also, it is not really an easy system to work with.

Then the dialogue... I can understand how people are not really drawn to the rude language the kids use. But they are young adults. And I don't know about you guys, but when I was 21, I did not speak to my friends as if they were my grandparents. And to be honest... I don't mind pushing it a little. :p

For example, there is easy mode and normal mode... I never intended to make an easy mode, but people complained my game was too hard, and the penalty for dying was too much (wiped all saves, start over with newgame+) and people actually got angry about it. So I intentionally named the modes:
- "P*ssy mode"
- "Hero mode"

To push this even further, when choosing Hero mode, NPC will actually call you Hero at several moments in the game. While when you play on p*ssy mode, they actually call you p*ssy. (Without the star).

Even the title of the game, is supposed to be rude. "Bite Me". That is what people say when they are getting at each others throat, right? Or maybe when they try to get into each others pants? Either way, it is not something you say to your grandparents.

I know this is not fun for everyone. But it is a targeted audience, I guess. I did not try to make a game suitable for little kids, or a charity case. I want to make agame people hate (hard, rude, not at all player friendly) and still have people keep playing because of the story. I plan to release in episodes, full of cliff hangers and everything. (This is also why I dropped ABS, so I could update the game without breaking save games.)

Anyhow... I could keep talking for hours about my project, but I have to wrap it up some time... I want to say one more thing:
Even though you were not charmed by the rude use of language in the game, you still gave me a respectful review and even praised other parts of my demo. Thank you for that, for not only focusing on disagreement. Not many people who tried my demo can see those issues apart: Either they love everything about it, or I will never hear the end of all the things I screwed up. :p So thanks! +1 for that.

-----------------------------------------------

One more thing... I am done talking, promise... But if you want, I can send you a copy of script calls for the zoom effect. If you use the same layout as I do (default) then the coordinates are all the same, so you only have to copy them into your tutorial.

Sparky89

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for your reply it is imporant to get honest feed back I believe, there is alot about the game i liked more then not :). so keep it up :D Curious as to what you have replaced the ABS with ? do you have an updated demo with a new ABS on ? sorry it's taken a while to reply, i've been working - in anycase i'll take up your offer on the zoom thing it wowed me tbh. feel free to drop a PM. all the best JohnDoeNews.

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am still working on the new battle system, but it will not be ABS. :p

I am currently not only remaking the game... I am also converting it into a board game. I made the system for this myself too!

I don't have a demo just yet, but I got a video... :)

(Edit: Yes, that is the same map. You will also find the same characters in the board game, and the storyline will be synced too.)

Last edited:

misterdovah

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Congratulations on your project. You inspired me with ideas. Played the adventure file a little bit in my cellphone and I laughed loud wuth the brazilian wax joke. LOL
I will follow news about your game (curious about the board game version).

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Congratulations on your project. You inspired me with ideas. Played the adventure file a little bit in my cellphone and I laughed loud wuth the brazilian wax joke. LOL
I will follow news about your game (curious about the board game version).

Awesome! Thanks for you positive reply!
The demo you have played, is an out-dated version though. Nearly everything else than the graphics and the story has chanced. The battle system, the way the story is told, the complete setup of the game. It is all rebuild, rewritten and remade. :p

The story is still the same, but it has developed more. The tilesets and character images are the same too, but I added some matching sets (by the same maker: Vexed Enigma).

If you want to follow my progress, you could follow me on facebook. I hardly ever update my post here.
This is my facebookpage: https://www.facebook.com/johndoenewsnl/

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A side story is almost getting into the next stage. Almost everything in this game has real-life references.
unfinishedbuildingwip1.jpg
Everyday life is full of absurdity. This is just a reflection.
TFW you discover how the script batching works in VNMaker... after you've had the program for almost 3 years.
Writes that the characters have to climb a mountain.

Realized that I have to draw six sets of models where characters are climbing.

At least I know how to draw something. :)
I'm currently scratching my head on how to design plains. What do I even put in plains? Some trees (but not too many or it turns into a forest)? Grass? A few bushes? That's a bit dull.
I'm looking for tutorials but Google didn't seem to find much (or maybe I have the wrong keywords). I don't know how to map plains and I don't know how to learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Norfos