ACECORP

Founder & Entrepreneur
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am encountering a strange anomaly and was hoping someone may be able to help.

I am using the default IconSet.png file and am using Yanfly Plugins and have side view battle enabled.

When on PC, the battle looks proper and everything is as expected.

However, when exported to iPhone/iPad there is a black square box above everyone's head.

I am trying to avoid having to spend countless hours running this down and am hoping that someone has encountered this and knows exactly the cause and also knows the fix.

Anyone who has seen and solved this, if you could pass the fix along that would be much appreciated.

The screen on PC looks like this --
PC_No-BlackBox.png

The screen on iPhone (which is where the problem occurs 100% of the time) looks like this --
iPhone_BlackBox.png

The IconSet.png file I am using for testing purposes is the default shown below. It is transparent.
IconSet.png

ACECORP

Founder & Entrepreneur
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If I make a virgin project with nothing in it but the single default map and default mobs and no plugins -- everything works in ios... no black boxes.

Gonna have to run this down I suppose and will post my results in case anyone else encounters the same issue.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you absolutely certain there is only one icon sheet? Normally this would be caused by having the top left icon filled in, but I've also heard there could be a certain plugin that causes it - don't think anyone ever posted what plugin that was, in any of the threads I've looked at though.

ACECORP

Founder & Entrepreneur
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes I am using the default IconSet.png file and the top left icon is not filled in with anything and is transparent. Its the default IconSet.png file unchanged.

What's interesting is if I run the content of the IOS Project in a browser the black box isn't there, so whatever this is -- it is only happening when its run on an apple device, and not when the content of the project meaning the /www/*.* material is run in a browser.

This could have existed for a long time as I have always been testing in the browser to avoid having to constantly spin up a ios emulator via Xcode. This is the first time I've done that in a long time and BAM got hit with this unfortunate issue.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
so is the error happening on an iOS device, or in the emulator?

ACECORP

Founder & Entrepreneur
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Both within apple iPhone emulator (via Xcode) and on physical iPhone device itself.

I managed to narrow it down to Yanfly Plugin suite.

The virgin project I made that had nothing but default map (green background) and bat monster and no plugins has the exact same problem as soon as I add the 180 plugin yanfly suite.

Now I will turn on and off to determine which exact yanfly plugin is causing it and post here.

I will also notify yanfly once I make the determination.

ACECORP

Founder & Entrepreneur
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Turning off YEP_X_VisualStateFX version 1.02 removes the black box icons from over the heads of my party members.

However, the mobs still have black boxes over their heads.

I will continue to investigate and post an update once I find out what is causing the box over the mobs heads.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Look for some kind of 'enemy battler' plugin

ACECORP

Founder & Entrepreneur
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I went through and disabled each Yanfly plugin one by one. Then after setting one plugin to OFF I exported to IOS, copied the www folder to the Xcode project, rebuilt/re-compiled, then run. Observed the black boxes are still present, then turned the next plugin off, and so forth and so on.

Yet each time, the black square is still present on the enemies.

Now, every single yanfly plugin is now set to OFF, there are no plugins set to ON -- none. only yanfly plugins are present but they are ALL set to off, and yet the black squares are still present over top of the enemies. That is real odd. I wonder if I delete the plugins from the plugin manager if that will fix it? Of course that doesn't help me because I need the plugins.

Is this something rpgmaker support needs to look at? I can provide my virgin project with the yanfly plugins and my ionic/cordova Xcode project along with it. Seems really odd.

What shall I do?

Last edited:

Jules98

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I remember something similiar happening with me a while ago. Back then, it turned out to be caused by outdated YEP plugins. Are you sure that all your YEP plugins are up to date? Note that he recently updated all his plugins for better functionality with 1.5

ACECORP

Founder & Entrepreneur
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes everything is the newest since he updated everything to 1.5 and has been for quite some time since November 3 unless his zip file itself had some older plugins by mistake. I don’t know when this problem began because I didn’t test battles in iphone emulator/iPhone itself until now. It could have existed for a long time. Last time I tested was long ago when my project was not updated to 1.5 at yet. Maybe back in August or September and I can’t revert back to that.

Last edited:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you have disabled all plugins and it's still happening, but it doesn't happen on a brand new project with no plugins, then I would start working on that brand new project, adding plugins one at a time and testing, until the issue starts happening.

Is the brand new project using the same version of source as your original project? Keep in mind that if you create your project in version 1 and then upgrade to version 2, your project is still in version 1 unless you manually replace all the source files.

ACECORP

Founder & Entrepreneur
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok apparently I changed some defaults in the rpgmaker mv directory itself and now that I re-installed and got the default/defaults back -- the default IconSet.png works fine in both no plugins AND with full yanfly enabled, even with YEP_X_VisualStateFX version 1.2 enabled.

As I began adding changes back in, I found the root cause of the issue to be the height of my preferred IconSet.

If I use photoshop to adjust the height back to 640 the problem goes away.

This seems to indicate there is some kind of bug with yanfly and how he handles the height of the IconSet.png.

So the question is what is the maximum height I can use for my icon set?

Has anyone encountered this?

It seems the sweet spot is 3840 px height.

I do not remember having this issue in the pre 1.5.0 version of MV with Yanfly plugins pre 1.5.0 compatibility as I've had this 11860px high iconset file for a long time.

Hopefully whatever has caused this can be remediated in some way moving forward.

For the time being I reverted to the maximum iconset height that seems to work in an IOS project which is 3840 px and will probably look at himeworks plugin for multiple iconset files as an immediate work around.

Hopefully soon, whatever changed with the mv software + yanfly plugins can be fixed so it behaves as it always did in the pre 1.5.0 version with extremely tall iconset.png file.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
32 does not divide evenly into 11860.

Make it either 11840 or 11872.

You really need nearly 6000 icons?

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My entire family and I have Covid... If it's this bad with the vaccine, without must be terrible. Stay safe, everyone. This thing is a doozy.
Ugh. Head heavy with sick juice. I wish I could work on my stuff. o_O
I'm coming back to my work with Learn RPG Maker MV. Soon I'll be posting previews screenshots for my "paterons"! :guffaw:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aubycringe