Emberstorm

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey all, since I still couldn't recreate the bug, I'm going to hope that sometime between release and now I've unknowingly fixed it. You can get the latest version below, please let me know if it fixes the issue or not. Otherwise, if anybody can let me know exactly everything that goes down in Ruffus's Castle (exact text, where you walk, etc) that would be so helpful.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/r2lr7msck7l90p8/Black_Cat's_Story_V1.01.zip

I'm playing your game and enjoying the originality. However, I've gotten stuck.

How can I get through the cavern with the red button puzzle? Should I try to find the missing button from somewhere?
You won't need the red button to solve the puzzle. If you can't solve the puzzle, don't stress. Keep trying and Black Cat will eventually lose his patience and 'solve' it another way :)

Reaction score
First Language
italian
Primarily Uses
Hi,i hope you can help me..... i'm blocked in the 2 floor in rufus castle... in the second room after the library there is a scientific room.. im blocked in that position what i have to do?? thanks-black cats story's fan

Kyuukon

主人公
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
^lol@username hahaha xD !

Last edited by a moderator:

Conein

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
Black cat's story's fan is probably the youtuber that made me know this game, he's stuck too :D

Anyways, i don't know if i will have the patience to finish the game a third time, i hope someone else will try

Labyrinthine

Artist/ Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
It seems the game froze on me at the usual place (in Ruffus' Throne.)

It looks as if the battle against Ruffus had already been won at the moment I enter the room. The Ruffus sprite is not visible in the room, but in the message box he tells something like ("I'll be back"), and after this the castle starts to collapse and the game freezes as Black Cat & Co. attempt to leave the room.
Here's a few positives and negatives with my verdict based on what I've played.

+ The orginality. By this, I mean the humor and custom graphics and sounds. All these things create a consistent whole.

+ The mapping layouts are nice.

+ Ruffus is a memorable antagonist.

+ The dialogue is hilarious.

- The freezing at the end... -.-

- I don't know whether Ruffus' Throne is the final area of the game or not, but if it is, I felt the game was ending a bit too soon.

- The random battles were pretty frustrating. Then again, I've never exactly liked random battles springing up from nothing.

- The red flashes caused by the Blue Fish can get quite irritating.

I would give the game a 3/5 at this point, not having experienced the ending.

Emberstorm

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks to the help of some players, I've managed to iron out the final bugs in Black Cat's Story! Version 1.02 is now available -

http://www.thebestgameintheuniverse.com/p/download.html

How to use your previous save file? In your previous version's directory, copy your "save#.rvdata2" to your new version's Black Cat's Story directory.

Thank you to everyone who reported this bug!!!

Conein

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
Good job! I'll try the game right now. Just out of curiosity, what was the problem that made the game freeze?

Welp, i can't beat the first boss. I tried to buff my party before the battle, i tried just attacking, i tried healing the wounded, but i can't really tear away more than half his health. I could try using the skill but...they are useless. Maybe i missed something, but every skill either does incredibly low damage or has no effect at all, like the duck's hypnosis. Some npc said that i need to increase my stats, but i...can't? I only found a few stat upper potions, and they changed nothing at all. Can you tell me a way to get stronger? I tried reviving the fish but he died the first turn.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm in the same situation. Could barely dent the first boss in the new section. I think the main problem is that it regenerates way too much health per turn. Any damage that I deal that turn, gets restored within that same turn, and as the fight goes on, it only gets harder, because the party members get hurt and need to spend their turns healing.

Emberstorm

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Good job! I'll try the game right now. Just out of curiosity, what was the problem that made the game freeze?
It's quite embarrassing actually! I had an event on the map I left for testing the end scene, which bypassed the final battle. When I read about your bugs, I kept looking in the wrong spot (I'd check all the events and dialogue for Ruffus etc).

As for winning the boss battle, what level are your characters, what items do you have, and what skills are you using? In my personal play-through I thought the battles were a good challenge level. I leveled blue fish to 8 and had him alive for the boss battle, not only so I had an extra meat shield, but because he has the best debuffs in the game. In two full playthroughs for the final version, I built:

Black Cat - Pure damage and crit. (Sniper rifle, magnifying glass, etc)

Brown Dog - Balanced (Some magic for his heal, some damage, some tankiness)

Yellow Duck - Pure magic for his life drain + magic skills I bought from Rusty in the city

Blue Fish - Life steal / regeneration (trolls heart)

And in my second play-through:

Black Cat - Pure magic (huge laser beams all day)

Brown Dog - Pure attack damage

Yellow Duck - Mostly attack damage

Blue Fish - Tankiness (so I could keep him alive for his debuffs)

Conein

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
My 3 first chars are level 10, i just gave them sniper rifles and some armor, duck also has golden armor. fish is level 6 and i think he is hard to train. Couldn't you put an item that makes him immune to suffocating?  Also, how do you make someone pure magic? Do you equip some items to them?

Emberstorm

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My 3 first chars are level 10, i just gave them sniper rifles and some armor, duck also has golden armor. fish is level 6 and i think he is hard to train. Couldn't you put an item that makes him immune to suffocating?  Also, how do you make someone pure magic? Do you equip some items to them?
Blue fish is supposed to be hard to train, but on the chance you can dedicate some time to him he is invaluable for beating the game. There are items to slow down his health drain though, such as items with regeneration. Also, theres a sword at the level 10 shop that will give him life steal.

Also, if you find all the meowhoots that's another way to get permanant stat boosts and one of the best items in the game. 

As for pure magic, equip as many magic increasing items as possible. The hood, rod of power, etc. Skill descriptions will show you whether they scale with normal attack or magic attack. All of yellow duck's abilities minus his first scale with magic for example.

Emberstorm

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm searching for more critique on this game! Who was your favourite character? Was Ruffus too challenging to beat? Were there any glitches or bugs in the current final version of the game?

Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Hi there! this game looks hilarious. i like the style. about how long does it take to beat it?

Emberstorm

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
image.png

image.png

image.png

IAmJakeSauvage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi,i hope you can help me..... i'm blocked in the 2 floor in rufus castle... in the second room after the library there is a scientific room.. im blocked in that position what i have to do?? thanks-black cats story's fan
Same though - everyone else seems to have gotten past this point but my friend and I are stuck! 

Emberstorm

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

IAmJakeSauvage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi! This was a game-breaking bug I discovered and fixed. You'll have to download the latest version, and copy over your save game. You can see how to do so here!

http://www.thebestgameintheuniverse.com/p/download.html

I'd love to also hear what you thought of the game? :)
It actually happened to me in V1.02 - and I did try redownloading and pasting over but still no, haha!

Overall though, I really enjoyed it! My friend and I were playing last night and crying our eyes out because we were laughing so hard. 

Emberstorm

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It actually happened to me in V1.02 - and I did try redownloading and pasting over but still no, haha!

Overall though, I really enjoyed it! My friend and I were playing last night and crying our eyes out because we were laughing so hard. 
So glad to hear you enjoyed it! Sadly I'm not sure why you are still having the bug. A few others I spoke to including friends and a popular you-tuber who had the issue, had it immediately fixed when they copied the save to the new version. 

I'll double check everything and if I find anything that may be causing you to still have it. 

Thanks again for the reply!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
need a time to not open my MV,still addicted with new vegas

i wonder what addiction effect behind playing new vegas too much,maybe INT & Science gone worse in many days :D
cdjensen94 wrote on Kaliya's profile.
Are you the one who develops Kaliya's Visual Map Enhancements. If so I desperately need some help. I bought the plugin back a few months. I've only started using it recently.
Cause MP Damage instead of HP, Localization Plugin for Translation | RPG Maker News #112

Here in Fla were are seeing crazy covid spikes and some vaccinated getting bad infections. I had a mild fever on Thurs but it went down fast. How is everyone else doing. Hopefully you are all well. :)
Wish I was better at art, specifically that I was faster at it, bc this one NPC took Several Days to complete! It's gonna take So Extremely Long to do all of the art for my game, never mind writing it... Anyways, here's my gorgon, Hopernica Sthyxis!

57b88732c7abbcd84981dacf624a98495af61fcc.gifv

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jinyuchai