megumi014

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi, I'm trying to learn javascript and I've been messing around with the Command Menu (following a tutorial and trying to change things here and there), but I stumbled upon an issue and I have no idea how to fix it because I don't understand what is the engine doing or why.

I'm trying to put a background image on the Command Menu window, and only there (not the whole screen), so I tried this:

Code:
(function() {

// LOCATION MAIN MENU (COMMAND)

var _Scene_Menu_create = Scene_Menu.prototype.create;
    Scene_Menu.prototype.create = function() {
        _Scene_Menu_create.call(this);
        this._goldWindow.hide(); // Just for now
        this._statusWindow.hide(); // Just for now

this._commandWindow.x = 0;
        this._commandWindow.y = Graphics.boxHeight / 2 - (this._commandWindow.height / 2);

this._commandWindow.opacity = 0;
    };

// COMMAND MENU BACKGROUND IMAGE & UPDATE

var _Scene_Menu_createBackground = Scene_Menu.prototype.createBackground;
    Scene_Menu.prototype.createBackground = function() {
        this._backgroundSprite = new Sprite();
        this._backgroundSprite.bitmap = ImageManager.loadPicture("Pink3");
        this.addChild(this._backgroundSprite);
        this._isBackgroundScaled = false;

//this._backgroundSprite.opacity = 255;

};

var _Scene_Menu_update = Scene_Menu.prototype.update;
    Scene_Menu.prototype.update = function() {
        _Scene_Menu_update.call(this);
        if(this._isBackgroundScaled == false && this._backgroundSprite.bitmap.width != 0) {
            this._isBackgroundScaled = true;
            this._backgroundSprite.scale.x = Number(this._commandWindow.width / this._backgroundSprite.bitmap.width);
            this._backgroundSprite.scale.y = Number(this._commandWindow.height / this._backgroundSprite.bitmap.height);
            this._backgroundSprite.x = this._commandWindow.x;
            this._backgroundSprite.y = this._commandWindow.y;
        }
    };

})();

The background picture stretches to fit the menu box no matter its position or if i change the screen size, but this happens (the white line is actually a transparent padding I added to check if it made any difference):

Hide&Seek.jpg

I have tried playing around with the opacity but it doesn't affect that black blackground, and trying to use a picture with the exact screen resolution but filled with a transparency layer makes it go white like this (I didn't care about the pink position for this one):

Hide&Seek2.jpg

Sooo any help/advice you could give me it would be welcomed. I tried looking up for some options and the only thing I found was the Window_Base bit with updateBackOpacity() but I have no idea if that is what I'm looking for, or If the problem is the way I'm loading the picture.

Aloe Guvner

Walrus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there a reason that you're aliasing the createBackground method but not calling the alias?

megumi014

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there a reason that you're aliasing the createBackground method but not calling the alias?

I just noticed that, I probably erased it while trying different things, thank you for pointing it out.

I wasn't going to update the post yet because I will be trying different things but I think I got to fix the background issue. I still don't know why it appears black or white depending on the transparency layer but this is how I kinda-fixed it:

Code:
    Scene_Menu.prototype.createBackground = function() {
        this._backgroundSprite1 = new Sprite();
        this._backgroundSprite2 = new Sprite();
        this._backgroundSprite1.bitmap = SceneManager.backgroundBitmap();
        this._backgroundSprite2.bitmap = ImageManager.loadPicture("Pink");
        this.addChild(this._backgroundSprite1);
        this.addChild(this._backgroundSprite2);

I just planted another picture on top of the one that came with the source code and it worked. Probably not the best solution but until I learn more it will do.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I really need to buy a new mouse. Mine's keeps double-clicking and makes me waste A LOT of time eventing
How come there's no spooktober game jam? I thought horror maker games were some of the most popular genre out there...
"I didn't know X song was about that!" Uh... why? Do you not listen to the lyrics? I mean, I guess that makes sense. We live in a world where nobody listens, but everyone wants to be heard.
Coding class: Python
Game dev work: Javascript
Result: AHHH!!! Writing program for an assignment and having it crash and burn because I used Javascript syntax or format. Or having my game die on me because of a python call :yswt:
Can we make it so whenever a banned user tries to use their account whilst banned, the forum should redirect to this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mansfield40matt