Blacky's Art Collection

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by BlackRoseMii, Jan 10, 2015.

1. BlackRoseMii

BlackRoseMii Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Since I'm not getting enough feedback on Deviantart, I'll post a few pictures here. Right now, I'm in a phase were I'm about to make visible progress on my style, but because of the lack of inspiration and feedback I'm not satisfied. That's why I hope posting in this forum will get me a bit further in my progress.

Anyway, here's my art:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JosephSeraph, BerryB, Kyuukon and 7 others like this.
  2. EliteKilljoy

EliteKilljoy Beta Tester, English Proofer, German Translator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    :o It looks so good! I don't suppose you do requests?

3. BlackRoseMii

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yes, I do request. I even need them XD Please send me a private message for this^^

4. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    DA's a terrible place for feedback unless you like vapid praise. Hopefully here will be better. I like your stuff, you've got good contrast, line work, and a pleasing style. Layout isn't bad either. If you're looking for what to work on next I'd say anatomy, you're a bit weak there. I think you should also give copying other artistic styles a try, you learn some really random and interesting things that way and it can break you out of ruts if everything you do starts looking kind of the same.

moogmaster87 and Bukarett like this.
  5. BlackRoseMii

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Okay, I tried to copy another artist and this is the result:

[​IMG]
    I did learn a little bit, like having more detail on the hair, but the thing I really want to learn right now (coloring) is still as bad as ever -.-°

Anyway, I wonder if any of you can guess what artist I copied^^

6. Shelby

Shelby Diva Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Guten Tag!

When I like someones art and then I hear someone else say they need to work on anatomy I want to bite that persons head off. Or just google Amano the artist and spend the rest of their lives crying in the corner.

ANYWAYS The first work you posted is my fav, very skinny which is what drew me in at first, then the sad eyes, it seems to be a nice theme in your work which I love!

And DA is...well I will say it greatly depending on the TYPE of art you do, the great thing about DA is you actually have COMPLETE artistic freedom there, here you do not at all but I do hope you get some good feedback.

7. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Everyone always needs to work on anatomy, Shelby, no need to be upset by it. It's just one of those things that is never mastered. I like her art too, quite a bit. (Hate Amano's work though.) I wouldn't have brought it up at all if she hadn't been asking for a critique.

BTW, I wouldn't suggest copying styles to everyone, some people aren't far enough along in artistic development to learn only good things from it, some people's art just isn't suited to it and the time is better spent perfecting something else. But I thought it'd be a fun exercise in this case. CLAMP is a fun style to copy, I like the result BlackRoseMii.

Bukarett likes this.
  8. BlackRoseMii

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks^^ I'm really glad you could recognize the artist, I actually thought I would have failed ^^°

9. Shelby

Shelby Diva Veteran

First Language:
    German
    "Hate Amano's work though".........I have no words for that. But art should never have ANY restrictions, however if you really are going for a more real accurate human look then yes keep working on it always, though I love your work just the way it is.

And BTW if I could paint like Amano I would rule the universe!

10. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Shelby: I agree about the restrictions, but restrictions and foundations are different. The purpose of learning anatomy isn't so that you recreate people perfectly like a photo, it's so you aren't limited by your lack of understanding. As for Amano I dislike his work because I think he puts a lot of flash into his work so you don't look too closely at how it lacks substance. Personal opinion though, I totally can see why others like his stuff. We're getting off topic though, maybe we should start a thread to have these sorts of conversations.

@BlackRoseMii: Yeah, your illustration reminds me of Wish. I have a special place in my heart for CLAMP, they were my introduction to manga.

Bukarett likes this.
  11. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    not so bad but I would avoid to take inspiration on Clamp when this go for anatonomy because clamp don't follow the Normal proportion logic's of the human body 

Yes Clamps is funny to draw and quite beautiful but this will provoke you anatonomy problem later 

generally a body is formed by heads 

in manga generally a adult women is 7 head depends of his size 

and a adult man are 8 to almost 10 heads

the knee articulation made by clamps don't follow the proportion 

where we have only one head of distance between the shoulder and the knee clamp have approx 1 head 1/2 of distance who make them the impression to have long arms. 

this not bad in way because originally manga is supposed to be a  caricature but

if you want to go in more realistic manga you have to follow a certain anatomy pattern  

12. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Fixing CLAMP's anatomy would defeat the purpose of the exercise. I think her foundations are good enough that a little experimentation isn't going to introduce errors into her own style. BTW, where did you find those numbers for how many heads tall people are? Men are approximately 7.5 when not stylized.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2015
    Lux Fortuna and nio kasgami like this.
  13. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I surelly mistake the number sorry for that but I have a  manual but this generally manga I forgot to specify sorry

but manga proportion can be usually weird so this pretty depends but realistic manga are aprox the number you said.

and I usually use the Head exemple because depends of how he is talls exemple if I want a short girl I will go with 5.5 heads 

or I want 6 feet guys  generally 8 or 9 heads is pretty good for that.

the source of where I took the proportion for the manga is : Manga for dummy 

but I also check some website in the past I don't remember the name of all 

but I don't say to change her style just saying to be carefull haha 

when you draw it's important to be able to if the need is here to draw with the proper proportion 

but like you said their foundation is good and pretty well made 

BTW this purelly my opinion and this up to the OP if she could find them usefull or not haha 

anyways this not because I think they have error in the proportion the other can think they have !

and this not remove this kindla beautiful.

14. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Oh, BlackRoseMii, I missed what you said about wanting to improve your coloring the first time I read it. What is it about what you're doing now that you don't like?

15. BlackRoseMii

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @ Nio kasgami: I know that head theory very well and I have practised it for years now (I stopped counting the years I consciously draw manga. I think it should be 11 or 12 years now. I started when I was about 9, I think.) But you can't see that if the body isn't shown completely or is in a different pose. Anyway, of course I still have to practise anatomy for more difficult perspectives. I don't want to draw figures like Clamp, especially not the ones from xxxHolic. If it comes to the simple drawing, I like my style besides the hair and eyes.

@Sharm: I'm not exactly sure what it is I don't like. I usually try to make my digital coloring to look like it was made with copic marker. I don't want my coloring style to look too much like an anime (unless I'm drawing fake-screenshots) or too much like a painting. I'd like to have something in-between. And I especially don't know how to color the hair. I don't know, I can't describe it XD To be honest, the picture that is the closest to what I want is the one underwater.

16. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So, more manga, less anime. Got it. Hmm. I don't know, your coloring style is already looking a lot like you use copic markers already. Perhaps you just need more texture, since that's the main difference in the one you like best?

17. BlackRoseMii

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'll try it as soon as I have an idea what to draw next^^° (Another problem: Lack of creativity)

18. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    That one at least is easy enough. If you want something quick, ask for suggestions on your status feed. If you want to draw a lot in a short period of time, open a workshop in the resources section. If you want to illustrating something, check out the recruitment section and see who's looking or post that you're offering. You'll find plenty of people who will be excited to give you suggestions on what to draw.

19. BlackRoseMii

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I made something again. I'll try to do as much as possible to improve fast^^ Or at least faster than usual XD

[​IMG]

20. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Nice!  I see you used more texture in this one.  Are you happier with the way the coloring came out?