- Feb 22, 2016
- Reaction score
- First Language
- Primarily Uses
12 * 8! / (2! * 6!) = 336
Here I will post all the info on my project thus far...
View attachment 204975
Setting: The game takes place in a world where magic is commonplace and the civilized races are in a state of cold war. The player's starting town is a village comprised of various outcast Orc clans and Elf tribes. (more on this later) Monsters roam the land, often naturally imbued with magic as well. This will be a Dark Fantasy themed game with some Dungeonpunk thrown in.
- Grid-based tactical RPG
- Seamless combat transitions
- On map battles (no side-view battlers)
- Environmental interactions (especially elemental effects)
- Small party size (3) so combat isn't a slog!
- Highly customizable characters
- 14 skill trees (mix & match)
- Balanced stat system (all stats are useful!)
- Deep equipment system
- Layered armor system (i.e. wear chainmail underneath plate armor)
- Rune slots for special procs/effects
- Gem slots for further fine-tuning
- Emphasis on the bond between weapon and wielder
- Bind a Soul Core to a weapon and it becomes sentient
- Soul Cores grant Weapon Unleashes
- Soul Weapons (weapons w/ a bound core) gain XP
- Realistic Blunt/Slash/Pierce system
- all weapons deal a different proportion of these 3 dmg types
Edit: I deleted all the story stuff due to it being reworked from the ground up.
- Combat is a grid-based tactical RPG and takes place on the same map you're exploring.
- Seamless transition into and out of combat with visible on map enemies (no random encounters)
- Build your own class with 12 skill trees you can invest points into
- Party size of 3, which improves the pace of combat and reduces moments of sluggishness common in some TRPGs.
- Multi-elemental and environmental interactions (think Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2)
- Use your learned skills out of combat as well to interact with the environment, Golden Sun style!
- Bind Soul Cores into your Soulforged weapons, granting it a weapon unleash (like Golden Sun)
- Level 50 capSkill System:
Each skill tree is divided into 5 tiers. Tier 1 will cost 1 JP to unlock, Tier 2 will cost 2 JP to unlock, and so on and so forth until Tier 5, which will cost 5 JP to unlock. This means it costs 15 JP to reach the max tier of a certain tree. You gain 1 JP per level, so you will be able to get max tier for any 3 trees of your choosing. This leaves 5 JP remaining, which you can spend to learn a special tier called "Spellweaving" which contains multi-element spells and hybrid physical/magical skills. You aren't forced to follow this layout, you can spread your JP into many different schools/disciplines if you wish.
Each tier will contain 3 skills. The skill on the left is usually a utility skill. The skill in the middle is usually an offensive ability. Lastly, the skill on the right is always a passive. Each skill will cost 1 SP to learn, which is a different resource than JP. You gain 3 SP per level. SP can either be spent to learn skills or on raw stat boosts.
View attachment 204976
View attachment 204977
Skill Trees: (you will be able to max out 3 trees by end game)
- Archery - ranged weapons
- Dueling - light and medium weapons
- Great Weaponry - medium and heavy weapons
- Protection - shields
- Aeromancy - Wind magic
- Cryomancy - Ice magic
- Geomancy - Earth magic
- Hieromancy - Holy magic
- Hydromancy - Water magic
- Keraunomancy - Lightning magic
- Necromancy - Shadow magic
- Pyromancy - Fire magicTier 1
- Analyze - Increases the target's chance to suffer a Critical Hit by 15 for 4 turns. Also reveals info on the target and adds it to the Bestiary.
- Arrow to the Knee - Immobilizes the target in place for 1 turn and reduces the target’s Speed by 50% for 3 turns thereafter.
- Efficiency - Passive: Critical Strikes with a ranged weapon generate 10 Focus.
- Leap - Jump up to 2 spaces away. Generates 8 Focus.
- Straight Shot - Deals moderate Weapon damage and pushes the target back 1 space.
- Careful Aim - Passive: Ranged physical damage is also increased by Intellect.
- Dip Arrows - Grants an additional element to your attacks for 4 turns. Element depends on nearby terrain types.
- Split Shot - Shoots 3 arrows in straight lines.
- Focused Draw - Passive: Increases Armor Penetration by a percentage equal to your current Focus.
- Escape Artist - Removes all slow and snare effects and grants +1 Movement this turn.
- Volley - Deals moderate Weapon damage. 3-tile radius Scope, 2-tile radius AoE.
- Eagle Vision - Passive: Increases your attack range with Ranged weapons by 1.
- Quick Draw - Grants an additional ranged attack for the next 3 turns.
- Headshot - Instantly kills the target. User’s Max HP must be greater than target’s Max HP. Target must be at least 3 tiles away.
- Sniper - Passive: Not moving increases the Critical Strike chance of normal attacks with a Bow by 100%.Skills that can be used both in and out of combat: (these are all tier 1 skills)Tier 1
- Middle Stance - Increases Dexterity, Counter, & Hit chance by 5%. Active until another stance is used.
- Low Cut - Immobilizes the target in place for 1 turn and reduces their Speed by 50% for 3 turns thereafter.
- Opportunistic - Passive: Gain 10 Focus when attacking a target from behind and 5 Focus from the side.
- Out Flank - Sidestep to circumvent an enemy within a 2-tile radius. Generates 8 Focus.
- Steady Strike - Deals moderate Weapon damage and generates 4 Focus. This attack has a +15% chance to Hit.
- Duelist - Passive: Increases Counter, Crit, & Hit chance by 5% while wielding a single Light or Medium weapon.
- Disarm - Prevents the target from using their weapon for 4 turns.
- Multi-Strike - Hits 2 times. (3 times if Dual Wielding)
- Parry - Passive: Incoming damage is avoided when you successfully Counter.
- Duel - Challenge the target to a duel, increasing all damage you and the target deal to each other by 40% for 4 turns.
- Riposte - Increases your chance to Counter by 100% for 1 turn.
- Retaliation - Passive: Allows the use of up to both weapons when you Counter, generating 5 Focus when you do. Counters now scale with Strength & Dexterity.
- Blade Flurry - Grants an additional melee attack for the next 2 turns.
- Assassinate - Instantly kills the target. User’s Max HP must be greater than target’s Max HP & the user must be behind the target.
- Blade Dance - Passive: Successful physical attacks increase the user's Dexterity & Speed by 3%, stacking up to 5 times. At 5 stacks, the user gains an extra attack, consuming the effect.
- Archer: Analyze
- During combat: Increases the target's chance to suffer a Critical Hit by 15% for 4 turns. Also reveals info on the target and adds it to the Catalog. (this is basically a Scan skill)
- Out of combat: Reveals hidden objects nearby.
- Berserker: Crush
- During combat: Reduces the target’s Armor by an amount equal to half your Strength for 4 turns.
- Out of combat: Breaks down boulders in the way. (like Rock Smash in Pokemon)
- Duelist: Low Cut
- During combat: Snares the target in place for 1 turn and reduces the target’s Speed by 50% for 3 turns thereafter. (think of this like Improved Hamstring in WoW)
- Out of combat: Cuts down certain obstacles. (this is basically HM01 in Pokemon)
- Guardian: Provoke
- During combat: Forces enemies to attack the user for 2 turns.
- Out of combat: Allows for an extra dialogue option in certain situations.
- Wind: Gust
- During combat: Pushes the target back by 2 tiles.
- Out of combat: Blows away certain obstacles or puts out a flame.
- Ice: Freeze
- During combat: Snares the target in place for 1 turn and applies Chill to the target. (Chill reduces speed by 25% per stack, 4 stacks = completely frozen)
- Out of combat: Freeze puddles of water. (like in Golden Sun)
- Lightning: Flash
- During combat: Blinds the target for 4 turns. (-50% Hit chance)
- Out of combat: Lights up dark areas. (exactly like Pokemon's Flash)
- Earth: Tar
- During combat: Delays the target’s turn and slows their Speed by 50% for 4 turns. Fire attacks will cause the target to burn.
- Out of combat: Can be used to create a flammable tile. Required for certain mechanics.
- Water: Drown/Douse/Drench/Submerge? (need to decide on a name)
- During combat: Silences the target for 2 turns. Applies Damp to the target for 4 turns.
- Out of combat: Fills containers with water or puts out a flame.
- Fire: Ignite
- During combat: Burns the target for 3 turns. (DoT)
- Out of combat: Melts ice or burns certain obstacles. (i.e. use on a torch on the wall)HP = HP (Health points)
MP = MP (Mana points)
TP = FP (Focus points)
- Increases physical damage dealt (way more than Dexterity's effectiveness)
- Increases Critical Strike multiplier by 1% per point
- Increases magical damage dealt
- Increases spell Crit & Hit chance by 0.1% per point
- Increases spell Critical Strike multiplier by 1% per point
- Increases Counter, Crit, & Hit chance by 0.1% per point
- Increases physical damage dealt slightly (ignores armor)
- Increases Max HP by 3 per point
- Reduces physical damage taken
- Reduces chance to receive a Critical Strike by 0.1% per point
- Increases Block chance with a shield by 0.1% per point
- Increases Max MP by 2 per point
- Reduces magical damage taken
- Increases spell Resist chance by 0.1% per point
- Hastens turn order
- Increases starting Focus
- Increases Focus regen by 0.1% per point
- Increases Dodge chance by 0.1% per point
*All units have a base Movement range of 4.
- Light- No Movement penalty
- 10% total resistances
- high WIL but low CON
- Medium- Reduces Movement by -1
- 30% total resistances
- mixed CON/WIL
- Heavy- Reduces Movement by -2
- 50% total resistances
- high CON but low WIL
Soul Cores & Soulforged Weapons:
You will be able to craft "Soulforged" weapons, which are weapons that can accept a Soul Core. Soul Cores are obtained from mini-bosses in dungeons and are basically very strong monsters. Binding a Soul Core to your weapon will not only grant it a weapon unleash but also allows it to grow in power alongside you. The bond between weapon and wielder is an emphasized aspect of the game. The weapon becomes sentient once a Soul Core is bound to it. This means you will have random/evented dialogue and banter with your weapon. You can also enter your weapon's inner world, which is a 50-floor dungeon. If you get to the final floor and defeat your weapon's avatar, you unlock the ability to summon the avatar in battle.
Certain armors can be layered. For example, a "Steel Breastplate" would have an augment slot called "Hauberk/Shirt" which means you can wear a Hauberk (mail armor) or Shirt (cloth armor) underneath. These items can also be worn by themselves instead of being used as an augment, you decide if it's worth the Speed penalty.
Weapons will have 2 augment slots:
- Gems: generally grants raw stats so you can fine-tune your character's stat allocation
- Runes: includes non-stat bonuses, which can be passive buffs or unique procs
- 2-handed weapons would have 2 of each augment type but still only 1 Soul Core
I forgot to mention Dual Wielding is a thing.
- Grants an extra attack for not just your normal attack, but also ALL physical skills
- Dual Wielding incurs a -15% Hit chance penalty and -25% Focus generation rate
- Attacking from the front
- -10% damage dealt
- Attacking from the side
- ±0% damage dealt
- Attacking from the back
- +10% damage dealt
UPDATE: New Blunt/Slash/Pierce mechanics! Thanks @Finnuval
All weapons now deal a combination of Blunt, Slash, & Pierce damage in various proportions. Each weapon will show a single-digit number by each element's icon. A "1" = 10% of the total dmg.
Notice how they always add up to 10.
View attachment 204978
Edit: Additional Features
- Action XP Gain mechanic - units gain XP after dealing damage or healing an ally