Knight of the Night
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
takemymoney.jpg

You had me at "Tactical Grid Based RPG"...

but then I saw a lot more details and had to post the meme.

EDIT: You got me all hot and bothered and no download anywhere :frown:

ProSuperSchool

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Very interesting project. I have my games plethora of classes as well. But yours...There's insane level of worldbuilding in your game from the get go which even in my separate GDD separate from my game thread finds lacking. Could you tell me your source of inspiration, besides Warhammer and FFTactics? My English and Storytelling have gone rusty since 2013...

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
EDIT: You got me all hot and bothered and no download anywhere :frown:
Character builder (Tech Demo) coming this month! It's the least I can do, lol.

Could you tell me your source of inspiration, besides Warhammer and FFTactics?
Hmm, I would say...besides FFTactics, probably Golden Sun, World of Warcraft, Divinity Original Sin, & Baldur's Gate 3?

Edit: Here's an update on the Pyromancy skill tree. (WIP)
Pyromancy.png
As you can see, I wanted Critical Hits to do more than just extra damage. If you look at Ignite, Fireball, & Incinerate, Critical Hits will ensure you have ample stacks of Burn on your target. So a Pyromancer will typically open up with Ignite, followed by a Fireball or 2, then finally finish with an Incinerate. Of course, most enemies won't survive long enough to experience the whole rotation, but Bosses & Mini-bosses certainly will. Oh, and Explosion was inspired from Megumin's spell of the same name, lol.

Or if you're building a melee character, you can grab things like Inner Fire, Flametongue, & Immolation Aura. I'll be adding more stuff that'll benefit melee units soon.

Last edited:

ProSuperSchool

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I see. Warcraft and Golden Sun..should be obvious.
Welp, eager for the tech demo!

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update for the secondary stats screen. Notice how there are 2 copies of Hit, Crit, & Crit Dmg. That is because one set is going to be for physical damage and the other set for magical damage. For now, I just copy-pasted it over as a placeholder. I also removed CRI (crit evade) from the list. It felt counterproductive to a player's ability to stack Crit. To compensate for Constitution losing value (CON used to increase CEV), I made it so CON increases healing received (REC).

Edit: Updated w/ Spell Hit, Spell Crit, & Spell Crit Dmg.
I need to recolor their icons though...any idea what color?
1646293631616.png

Last edited:

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Omg, I got this great new idea for a mechanic!! So, I currently have Yanfly's Weapon Unleash plugin installed but haven't created any Weapon Unleash skills just yet. I was originally going to implement the mechanic pretty much exactly like how Golden Sun did their Weapon Unleash. As in, each different weapon has a unique Weapon Unleash skill that procs on chance. Now I was thinking... instead of having the Weapon Unleash skills come from weapons, I could make it so they are learned from their Elemental skill tree. I think this would greatly help create hybrid builds. Cuz a unit can invest more into their Elemental tree and use that improved magical prowess in the form of a Weapon Unleash! This will help bridge the gap between casters and non-casters. Well, actually, casters can make use of Weapon Unleashes too. Thoughts?

1646342315685.png

Edit: This is an example Unleash skill I'm working on for the Pyromancy tree.
0_0

Last edited:

ProSuperSchool

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As long as it is simply complicated, I don't see why not. :)
Wait..
Are you aiming like FFTactics Samurai's Draw Out action??

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you aiming like FFTactics Samurai's Draw Out action??
Hmm, kind of but not really? The Samurai's Draw Out skills are derived from various weapons, just like Golden Sun's weapon unleashes. However, I want those skills to be learned from the skill tree instead.

So basically, all characters are a mix of 2 classes: 1 Weapon class + 1 Elemental class. Most of the caster/magic stuff is found in the Elemental class trees. Each Elemental tree will have 1 skill w/ this icon:
  • 1646359944698.png
This is an Unleash skill, which means you equip it into the corresponding skill slot:
1646360047309.png

Whichever skill you have in that slot is your Weapon Unleash skill. So any attacks you do with a weapon will have a % chance to automatically cast the Unleash skill. That's basically the gist of it. Weapon Unleash proc chance can be increased via Weapon Mastery and/or certain passives in skill trees.

Example:
0_0

Edit: However, I do like the idea of Weapon Unleash skills being unique to each weapon. So perhaps I'll allow more than 1 Weapon Unleash skill to be equipped. Or I can still have weapons grant an Unleash skill, but the player can choose whether to equip it or not.

Last edited:

ProSuperSchool

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I see. Conceptually, correct me if I'm not accurate, it works like FF8 Junctioning Magic system or Chrono Cross allocation system, but without unleashing.
It also looks like FFIX skill learning system learnt from gear and equipment, at reverse.

Doing attack with your weapon with certain chances of activating and launching the unleashing looks already unique. I commend you on that

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
EDIT: 3 out of 16 classes have been FINALIZED!!
Arbalist.png
Archer.png
Pyromancer.png

Last edited:

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, which class should I work on next? Here are a few choices:
  • Berserker
  • Cryomancer
  • Dragoon
  • Guardian
  • Hydromancer
Help me decide! XD

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I'm thinking, besides their signature Jump ability, Dragoons could specialize in small AoE attacks.

Such as: (X-Dive, Leap Strike, & Crescent Strike) [names tentative, & I may reduce their scope]
1646534734121.png1646534640466.png1646534682306.png

…and also above average mobility. I'm thinking of giving the Berserker's Charge skill to the Dragoon. As in, a skill that causes the user to rush forward a few spaces, dealing damage if anyone's in the way. Maybe I'll call it Rush instead though, idk.

saintbyleth

lesser known saint
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I honestly really love this whole project. I think it's pretty nice to see that it's spanning a few years if only so other people don't get bogged down by the idea of "oh no, it's been x months, and I'm still not done?!" (me included)! I can't wait to see the full thing in action, especially regarding how you'll tie it all together with a story!
Edit: Fine tuned Arbalist's skill tree...
View attachment 217834
I really like the look of the skill trees in game now. They look so sleek!

(As an aside, what sort of program are you using for the skill tree maps outside of the game for planning purposes? They look very neat!)

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
(As an aside, what sort of program are you using for the skill tree maps outside of the game for planning purposes? They look very neat!)
I use Lucid Chart, which is free. You can also make it colorful and pretty, but I decided not to spend any time on that since I'm just using it for planning purposes.

And yeah, I don't see this project being done for another year or so, lol. But I've picked up speed on development and have gotten more organized lately. I'm trying to finish 1 class per week now.

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
What support classes are their?

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What support classes are their?
Hydromancer (Water) and Hieromancer (Holy) are the healing classes. But all classes will also have a bit of support utility here and there. I think I'm also going to have one of the racial trees be a support class, but haven't decided which yet...

Just been busy w/ work lately, haven't had time to work on RPG Maker. :/

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hydromancer (Water) and Hieromancer (Holy) are the healing classes. But all classes will also have a bit of support utility here and there. I think I'm also going to have one of the racial trees be a support class, but haven't decided which yet...

Just been busy w/ work lately, haven't had time to work on RPG Maker. :/
If you use fog of war, you could also have a high mobility, high vision range class that's not the best at fighting also be a support class. Cause they could scout ahead

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello! I'm back now, after taking a ~2month break from RM.:kaoslp:

UPDATE:
The Cryomancer's class tree is 90% done! Just need to think of a Counter skill, an Unleash skill and the final node/skill in the tree. I do also have an idea for having Ice spells that can create slippery/icy tiles, just like the kind found in those sliding dungeon puzzles. But I've yet to figure out how to implement such a mechanic in LeTBS...
Cryomancer.png

Edit:
While I could release a Demo any day now, I'm just too self-conscious of the vastly incomplete state of this project atm... Currently, only ~4½ out of 16 20 classes/skill trees are functional:
  • Arbalist (100%)
  • Archer (100%)
  • Berserker (50%)
  • Cryomancer (90%)
  • Pyromancer (100%)

Last edited:

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
While I could release a Demo any day now, I'm just too self-conscious of the vastly incomplete state of this project atm...
I get the feels @Frostorm honey, BUT RELEASE IT NOW OR ELSE-- I mean, I know it's scary 'cuz we all li'l perfectionists and we scared somebody gunna say, "This is incomplete and crap!" But look at it this way: nothing's perfect, errything's incomplete in some way, even AAA games ship with bugs in 'em! Just hoist yo giant eggs up in yo big pants and don't give a dam! :kaoluv:

Also think about the wonderful wonderful feedback we all gonna heap on ya after ya demo out! :wub

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Couldn't sleep at all so I started working on the topmost deck. I've had to make several deviations from the Imperator/Berengaria's deck-plans to accommodate MV's movement, but 100% accuracy was never my intention.
Still no name for the poor ship...:kaodes:
Screenshot-2022-06-25-053308.png
ScreenShot_6_24_2022_9_20_7.png
Here's Mike when you get a preemptive strike in battle. There's another one for when an enemy sneaks up on you too.
Suddenly, games mean nothing. The money spent was worth it to bring souls towards the light of life. May God bless my path forever. I pray that all are shaken for truth and poured out flat on the table of true understanding, knowledge, and wisdom. Bless you.
Finally I bought OMORI...cant wait to get traumatised!!!
Finished making this pretty ambitious forest map. Was wondering what y'all think of it! :kaopride:
1656136876015.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akuakudac