yamakoku

Worldbuilding Addict
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So i'm testing out a paper filter over my game, and when testing it in pictures i would use the overlay blend mode, but it's not in RPG Maker MV as far as i know. Does anyone know any plugins that add more blending modes for pictures?

Hyouryuu-Na

Procrastinates 24/7
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I requested help with this last year maybe. They said such a thing wasn't possible. Something to do with canvas or webgl I don't remember. But I hope there's a way. This will be really useful.

yamakoku

Worldbuilding Addict
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I requested help with this last year maybe. They said such a thing wasn't possible. Something to do with canvas or webgl I don't remember. But I hope there's a way. This will be really useful.
Same honestly. Otherwise it will be basically impossible to do a nice looking paper overlay.

Solar_Flare

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's definitely possible, and the functionality of different blend modes even exists in the RMMV engine (I know this is true because there are blending modes for animation frames), so maybe it wouldn't be a lot of work.

The overlay blend mode is a combination of screen and multiply, which are both supported, so I assume you could get an overlay blend somehow. I don't know anything about how the screen and multiply modes are implemented though, so I can't say how hard it would be.

Hyouryuu-Na

Procrastinates 24/7
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Any idea about exclusion blend mode? That's the one I need.
Edit: Oops this is sorta like thread hijacking. Sorry

Last edited:

Solar_Flare

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know much about exclusion, but apparently it's similar to difference, which is not one of the ones supported in animations. That doesn't necessarily mean you can't use it, but it might be harder.

yamakoku

Worldbuilding Addict
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's definitely possible, and the functionality of different blend modes even exists in the RMMV engine (I know this is true because there are blending modes for animation frames), so maybe it wouldn't be a lot of work.

The overlay blend mode is a combination of screen and multiply, which are both supported, so I assume you could get an overlay blend somehow. I don't know anything about how the screen and multiply modes are implemented though, so I can't say how hard it would be.
Are there no plugins for that? Any plugin or tutorial that might add new blend modes? I tried putting the paper as two pictures, one as multiply and one as screen and it doesn't look the same as overlay...

Solar_Flare

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, it's not as simple as just combining screen and multiply - the overlay blend mode uses multiply where it's placed over dark pixels and screen where it's placed over light pixels.

Glancing through the source code suggests that the blend modes are implemented in PIXI, so RMMV probably just offers the ones that this version of PIXI supports. Whether it's easy to add new ones, I still have no idea; upgrading your PIXI might be an option too.

cedr777

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Error: blend modes undefined

yamakoku

Worldbuilding Addict
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, it's not as simple as just combining screen and multiply - the overlay blend mode uses multiply where it's placed over dark pixels and screen where it's placed over light pixels.

Glancing through the source code suggests that the blend modes are implemented in PIXI, so RMMV probably just offers the ones that this version of PIXI supports. Whether it's easy to add new ones, I still have no idea; upgrading your PIXI might be an option too.
How do i upgrade my PIXI?

Solar_Flare

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I saw a tutorial for it somewhere, either in the tutorials forum or in the learning javascript forum; but I'd check to see if an upgraded PIXI actually does add more blend modes before going through the trouble.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

ESAMarathon on Twitch, now streaming "Eat Girl". Yep, that's the title of a game... Apparently it's a Pacman knockoff.... Which is of course the only logical conclusion one would get from a name like "Eat Girl". :kaopride: I can't believe anybody would think anything else! :kaoback:
Super stoked i just finished my first town in my project, by finished i mean i can always add more decorative aesthetics and the NPCs don't talk yet but the mapping is complete and all the important chess pieces are present!
My brain: Hey, I have an idea how to make the transition to the main story quest in The Wastes more natural!
Me: Good!
My brain: You need to remake the hotel you start out in, it's not realistic enough.
Me: Ok... This was unexpected, but I can do it.
My brain: Now make each hotel floor 5 times as large to match the main part. Oh, you also need to make a bunch of new npcs to fill in the space on these maps.
Me: Crap.
Should be able to release Haxe MV/MZ next weekend.
It look that somehow MZ tracks are messed up (for example battle4 is obviously a theme, castle2 is a ship, ship1 is a scene and so on..). Maybe they just named them after with some ambiguity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YourBaka