RMMV Blockchain on RPG

Discussion in 'Game Ideas and Prototypes' started by akmal, Aug 11, 2019.

1. akmal

akmal Villager Member

First Language:
    indonesia
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    hi, guys.
    i'm new member here, and for sure, i'm not devs so far :hswt:

i will explain my idea;
    i'm a crypto anthusiast, ever work as community manager in some crypto project last year. by that, i see that some crypto devs didn't developing their project for sure (dunno why, only some project project that really running).
    to the point;

Combining RPG Game with Crypto | Build Strong Game Ecosystem
    - Crypto can be used for purchase game item, diamond/gold
    - Player can earn while playing the game (by exchanging crypto they earned before)
    - Market place for auction, buy/sell item, storing your item

How to earn earn crypto?
    - By arena chalenge. top 100 player in arena will be rewarded crypto and gold/diamond
    - Defeating World Boss. Top 5 who give higher demage to boss will be rewarded crypto and gold/diamond
    - Defeating guild boss. All guild member will be rewarded crypto depending on their demage to boss
    - Treasury. Special map that opened every week, every guild can chalenge in this map and can earn crypto/gold/diamond.

thats my concept of the game. about the game (concept, story, etc), i will update in the future. please, give me feedback about my concept.

thank you.

2. Kneeshaw

Kneeshaw Kneeshaw Developments Member

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I spent some time with this idea. You will always have issues with economic balancing and people exploiting with bots or other ways.

Where are you getting the initial funding for the economy? Player will be pulling crypto out, but are not likely to put it in.

It's an excellent and cool idea. The execution is very difficult and I wouldn't recommend it for a hobby project.

3. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The first things before doing anything like this, is to solve the problem of cryptocurrency generators. How will you generate such currency to spread it in the game by the ways you describe? This is beyond RPG Maker really, involving a lot of knowledge to be distilled in one system, that when it will be ready, you can obviously set a service that can contact a client (game) and deal with in-game transactions.

Marquise* likes this.
  4. akmal

akmal Villager Member

First Language:
    indonesia
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    thats not the problem i think.
    i will explain one-by-one;
    funding : i can do crowdfunding, ICO or IEO in crypto forum. this is mainstream on there.
    economic balance : since player still need money, i can figure about trading fee on marketplace, player that sell item on marketplace, they will charge fee for transaction.
    fraud (bot, etc) : there are no refferal sytem, cause this is pure game.
    crypto generator : i can use ethereum blockchain for generating coin, i should call this 'token'.

lets do simple math;
    generating 1,000,000,000 token. 30% for funding, 5% team (excluding game devs), 1% advisor (if needed), 16% (devs team), 20% in game reward, 30% locked (unlocked partially after 6 months).

i think, i can reduce total token generated to increase price per token. and 20% of 1 billion iis crazy for this i think, lol.

last, usually RPG make many server, is it possible to make only some server? maybe only 100 server (max)?

5. Restart

Restart Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What benefits do you see, as a developer, in decentralizing the control of your tokens, rather than retaining complete control of them?

6. akmal

akmal Villager Member

First Language:
    indonesia
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    its not fully decentrealized, i think its hard to make it pure decentralized in game.
    benefit about this is, we can grew up faster than usual. blockchain will be good option in fintech.

7. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think your problem is not in the blockchain, as that’s pretty secure, but in players exploiting/cheating the game. In anything that involves real money you can rest assured someone will try to hack it. I heard once that to create a truly secure online shopping/banking platform requires a team of at least 100 coders to combat the hackers.

Your other big problem is legal and gov regulations, as your idea may qualify as gambling, or at least a financial platform. You may have to get permits for this kinda thing, and legal protection that people won’t sue you for fraud in case the currency tanks, Im guessing.

Still, I think you have an interesting idea.

8. akmal

akmal Villager Member

First Language:
    indonesia
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    first, its hard to exploting this game i think.
    if they want to grab our token from game, they should play in many machine or many app, rank up their character, etc.
    second, yes, its still possible to hack the database on my network, but, there are some option to scure the main wallet for game. the first option i will chose is hot wallet for storing 'in-game crypto-cash', for sure it should be multi-sig wallet that can do instant transaction.
    last, about legal, i will think it later if all i need is ready, such as 'what the best blockchain i should use, what game machine, game mechanicsme, etc'.

i open discussion here for this. let's discuss it.
    thank you.
    PS: about what blockchain i should use, i will discuss it in other place

9. joepmeloen

joepmeloen Warper Member

First Language:
    Deutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like the idea to game and earn digi-tokens that can be traded for real world money.

10. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Marquise* likes this.
  11. akmal

akmal Villager Member

First Language:
    indonesia
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    i want to make crypto that fully useful like bitcoin as major crypto. atleast, my token have a good ecosystem.

i know this, bitconnect is bad since they launch cause they are MLM/MMM. it have their scheme bussines, different with btc/eth that focus on technology.
    for sure i want profit from game, but i still want to share a good opportunity both player and devs.

12. joepmeloen

joepmeloen Warper Member

First Language:
    Deutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not sure why this is a problem, there are more moneycash scams then just a company that fools alot of people at the end they foold me to. But still I had some profit from them.
    Sure you need to be carefully where to store keys and how you login to get to your coins.
    Other then that I think the tech has a good future. Its more then just coins sending to each other on a blockchain, the problem is a lot of companies dont know how to benefit from this tech and a lot of companies yelling blockchain when there is no benefit for them using a blockhain.

Back on topic I found: blockchain knights. Its a dev group that wants to implement the ethereum blockchain in a rpg maker game. But last word from them was a year and a half ago.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  13. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The problem is that blockchain in a game is complex to be implemented.
    Also if the game would ever ask for real money for the currency, well, that would be the beginning of skepticism and that is my point.
    People might avoid playing the game if it involves any transaction like that, because people now know about the many scams you do refer to and they might believe the game is a scam too. I am not implying anything about the game, I just state that there are hazards on using this technology wrong, as you do describe @joepmeloen.
    Now if the game just asks for money to do an in-game micro-transaction, and/or it demands resources to mine stuff, the end user should know and the game should be really REALLY good.
    Bottom line, I personally believe that blockchain is a great technology, but implementing it into a game seems like a good idea to earn fast money. The problem is, you need a game to be played by many. That game MUST be engaging and of good to excellent quality.
    People make huge leaps when they wanna design a game. Here I assume we got "a good idea for a game", nothing designed in depth yet and not much impleented But we know that the game will include blockchain technology within it. Yeah that is the last thing we should think of.
    This is a forum you can ask such stuff, as long as the conversation stay away from illegal actions. Thus the question is totally okay. But we HAVE to tell OP these things so they know and understand how things work. You need a game first to see where you are going.

Marquise* likes this.
  14. Eric_SD-RPG-Studio

Eric_SD-RPG-Studio Writer - Developer Member

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Blockchain and cryptocurrency, I'd stay away from them. I think it'd be safe to observe and see where these things will go. Right now people in general are still skeptical. Any business related to them automatically raise suspicion. Some countries outlawed it.

You guys might want to check this out: https://www.robotcache.com/

Their system sounds illogical to me and I doubt they'll ever finish or will it ever work.

15. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Without a doubt, it's interesting.

I don't know too much about "real" crypto-currency (like Bitcoin), so my question for you is - what is the difference between your proposed implementation that much different from simply having a standard "real money currency" (like Riot Points, KOG Points, Candy Crush Gold, etc.)? Is it that players can earn some of it in-game, and that they can (legally) also buy/sell it in exchange for real-world money outside the game?

If that's the case, I feel like a couple of online games have done this before, though their names escape me at the moment. I think it can be tough to set up both a fun gameplay experience (in the presence of some people playing just to make money), and also a business model where you as the developer can wet your beak (profit) on the system. There's great potential for a game that pulls it off to become big, but it can be tough to do those both at the same time.

16. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    In other words, you should first make sure you got a great game ready to go, and THEN implement the cryptocurrency system in it.
    Also, who is gonna do the mining? Will the players spend some of their CPU to do the mining? In that case you need their consent even if it is a free to play game. Also you need to understand that this is a nice idea, but very hard to implement, because trust is needed. For the vast majority of the internet, you are a stranger who made a game (when it's ready). That gives you not much boost to promote your idea.
    I think someone should not stay away from a technology, as long as this technology is used well and not maliciously. We don't stay away from using a knife, because some people stabbed others to death. We just wanna peel an apple. Thus it is okay to consider this alternative but the REAL question is, why blockchain and not in-game currency?
    I mean do you care more about the game or the currency? You said you want it to be like bitcoin, so this is going a little far. This forum is about making games, not making currencies, like bitcoin. Thus the conversaition should stay in context.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  17. MadRamDesigns

MadRamDesigns Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This. So far I have yet to see a convincing argument why this is a good mechanic for a game. What actual value it provides a player experience, especially if it's only in-game resources, non-transferable to real world currency. There are easier ways to do this.
    Depending on how it's coded crypto-mining eats system resources, CPU/GPU, etc.
    I'll tolerate lag in a game if it's really engaging and I can tweak the graphic specs to run smoother, but if it keeps crashing trying to process basic combat while also churning out non-transferable coins...why would I keep playing? There are many of other games that are less demanding.
    And if it does have real-world money transfer on the line, as others have pointed out, you're going to get people who will make it unpleasant or risky for others to try playing in order to maximize their own payouts. Again less frustrating alternatives to play out there.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019