RMVXA Blood Magic

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Scalperhero, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Scalperhero

Scalperhero Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Blood Magic

[​IMG]

• Blood Magic is a game I have had planned for a long time

It's about a boy named Savva Rosewood who is the very last of his kind he is a blood mage. A Blood Mage uses blood magic which is classed as dark magic as it takes blood to be able to use.

the Blood Mage's along with there demon companions was wiped out years ago but a Blood Mage use to be a priest once before apart from Savva's family line they had always been a Blood Mage, Blood Mage can bond with demons which would make the demon protect the blood mage that they have made a pact with

Music that is used in the below location is custom music
      Azamar
      Cohalt + Cohalts Grave Yard
      Hope's Forest
      Blood Magic Title Screen
      Garlilus

[​IMG]
    upload_2017-12-11_0-17-10.png

upload_2017-12-11_0-27-9.png

upload_2017-12-11_0-32-37.png
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Blood Mage - use blood magic which will harm you as well when used but you can heal this with another spell a blood mage bounds by blood pact with demons to aid them in times of need depending on how powerful the mage determines the power of the demon, Blood Mages with there great control of dark magic protected the land of azamar from evil

Priest - filled with light magic and also aided by angels in times of war

Blood Hunters - A priest that has the power to find blood magic users

Angels - started a war agents dark magic users to wipe dark magic from the world with the aid of priests

Fallen angel - An angel that was stripped of there power for refusing to fight agents blood mages but with the aid of the blood mages was able to get some of the power that was stripped from them

Demons - once walked the land of azamar with there blood mage before the angels descended to azamar demons and the people of azamar got along

[​IMG]

• Blood Magic
      PROLOGUE: BORN FROM BLOOD

“We must hurry” the man said, he threw open the door and allowed his wife inside she followed him quickly, a wriggling bundle cradled in her arms. Closing the door behind them the man placed his hands on the door. A dark red glow emitted from his hands, he grunted with pain as the energy flowed from him, forming over the door, the wisps of red weaving in and out of the door binding to it. It wasn’t long till the door glowed giving off a crimson shimmer. “That won’t hold them back forever” he said he looked back at his wife. “You must contact him” he said quickly. “But Charles…” she began. “No… Now Delphine!” a loud bang on the door followed by the shouting of voices came from the other side of the door “We’ve found them!” Delphine looked at the door than at the baby in her arms, even with the threat around them the child was still softly sleeping a thumb safely tucked away in the child’s mouth. “They will kill him along with us…” Charles whispered looking into his wife beautiful green eyes, “You must call him… He can save one of us” Delphine nodded upon hearing his words, and past the child to her husband. Delphine began to mutter words, hushed and rapid. “STEP ASIDE FOOLS!” a voice commanded from the other side of the door the voice crackled with power. “Your pathetic attacks will never weaken the force that holds this door shut… I, however, hold a greater power” Charles looked back at the door and saw the crimson color flicker, the field strengthen its resolve against this new attack and swelled into a deep red. “Oohh! That’s beautiful Charles” the voice called out mockingly.

Delphine stopped muttering and looked at her hands as they swirled with a bright, blue flame, clapping her hands together a large bang echoed around the room. Smoke blinding them and waking the child with a wail of shock and fear. As the smoke cleared a figure stood above both husband and wife.

The figure stood on two large legs, chains embedded throughout its skin. The figure breathed heavily, and looked down at the occupants of the room a dark blue flame burning in its eyes. Two large horns curling outwards. The demon stretched his large wings as it lowered its head in front of Delphine, it showed a large array of sharp teeth, before inhaling deeply the flames narrowed in the demon’s eyes as it focused on Delphine. “My lady...” it said and dropped to one knee which lowered the demon’s height to all of Delphine’s chin.
      “Rageous” Delphine whispered “we need your help” she said and placed her hand on his shoulder, “Say your last rights Blood Mage!” a voice called out from behind the door. Rageous raised his head and fixated his gaze at the door inhaling the demons muttered “Angels… They are protected my lady… I cannot proceed to harm them” he said his voice held a tone of disappointment and anger.

“We know” Charles said hurriedly as the doors red glow faded a little further, “Your brethren have been banished. our people are dead… if not for your bounding to us via blood…” Charles began “HER BLOOD!” Rageous boomed and glared at Delphine’s husband, the fire burning bright in his eyes. The flames dimmed has his gaze saw the baby cradled in Charles arms “and his blood…” the demon whispered and reached out touching the child’s cheek with a large finger. “Rageous… we need you to take Tray somewhere safe… This world has fallen he has our blood in his veins if they find him, they will kill him!” Delphine said tears welling in to her eyes. Rageous stood towering above the two blood mages, “you understand the sacrifice you are to undertake?” the demon asked. Delphine nodded “Yes! I do it has to be done, our son must live. Take my life Rageous… I plead you to save them” Delphine said. The demon’s eyes fell upon Charles, “I am unable to harm you my lady” his fiery eyes fixated “it must be his sacrifice and he must himself choose” the demon finished. Delphine fell to her knees, Charles looked at her than his eyes fell to the baby in his arms. “Tray…” he trailed off pressing his lips to the child’s forehead. “I love you” he said and passed the child to Delphine. “You must take him somewhere safe to be around people who are deemed ordinary. Take him to Cohalt, Onclad and your sister will take good care of him and raise him as their own” he glanced at Rageous and winced “once your both safe, you must ensure you never return to our son Tray” he whispered “No! Please! No!” Delphine begged tears rolling down her face. Charles swept a stand of Delphine’s hair behind her ear, “at this age his abilities are hidden he must not be found till he has time for his powers to mature they will find you and him if you stay together you must keep moving my love” with that Charles softly kissed Delphine’s lips. “Thank you for giving me the happiest life any man could have asked for” he stood and faced Rageous “I am ready” he said holding back the tears in his eyes and the break in his voice. Rageous stepped forward and placed his hand on Charles shoulder. “Forgive me….” The demon plunged his open hand into Charles chest Delphine screamed as she watched the demon rip her husband’s heart in front of her eyes. Charles gurgled blood spilling from the corners of his mouth. Tray wailed his voice cutting through the air, as Delphine grasped onto him in a desperation to comfort. The barrier on the door collapsed and the door fell to ash. A group of priest spilled into the room, looking up at the towering beast in the room now with them. “DEMON!” one yelled! Rageous roared as his eyes focused on a figured that appeared as a man wearing gold armor, forged and engraved with holy markings, he fought his way towards the demon. Rageous dropped Charles his lifeless body hitting the floor, he turned sweeping wing into the priest knocking them back into the Angle hurtling towards him. He swooped down upon Delphine grabbing her and child. The fire in his eyes flared as he crushed Charles beating heart in his hand.

Fire, Delphine screamed Tray cried out as heat surrounded them. They fell, twisting and through the flames Delphine cradled her child as they made their descent, perhaps she could cradle him from the flames from the fire, and the impact from below. She could feel her death approaching as she tumbled towards the ground, it was then two large arms grabbed her slowing her descent a set of large wings wrapping around them in took seconds before Delphine felt the cushioned impact from the world below, Pain shot through her body and her eyes began to fade to blackness, as the darkness consumed her she focused on a rotten wooden sign with the words “Cohalt” carved into them. She gave a painful smile “We made it Tray” she whispered and the world went black.

(This part is how I plan to start my game off and is part of the whole story, the why im making this game is gonna be this one first then the 2nd game goes into the past as the whole beginning of it all, the part you just read I hope to have as somethign like a comic book style of intro to the game itself but when the 2nd game is finished it will add to the above story line there is a lot more but if I was to post my whole story of how the game is right now then you would be readng forever)

PS I'm sorry about all my grammar and spelling mistakes I do try to correct it but I'm dyslexic and I don't get very far with that lol

[​IMG]
    • This world is a place where dark and light happily lived in peace with each other the land is called azamar until a great war fell upon it and dark magic, as well as friends and family's brothers in arms, was forced to fight each other by the blinding power of angels. after the great war the city of garlilus did not have peace and started to fall apart once before there was no such thing as poor people or rich until after the war, this is set in medieval times.

[​IMG]
    i don't know if a link to gamejolt is allowed as that's where my demo is if not please let me know and I will get a Mediafire download for you to test the demo if you do play and gamejolt link is allowed I would love to hear your feedback about the game iv been working on this story and game for a year, I started making the game this year but been playing with the concept of the story for a lot longer
    https://gamejolt.com/games/BloodMagic/234268

[​IMG]
    right now I don't have my own tilesets but tilesets I have been using so far are
    macks tilesets
    PandaMaru
    Candacis
    the medieval DLC from steam
    ENTERBRAIN. RTP as well and I did edit some RTP to give it a kind of different look
    I am trying to sort out getting all custom tilesets for this game and I'm hoping to add in some custom monsters as well at some point

[​IMG]
    The new update is here this is the list of things added to the game

More houses to enter
    Spellbook (Book Of Binding) (Must have a certain item to learn new spell)
    More of the main storyline added
    First main quest can now be completed
    More weapons and armor added
    2 blood spells added
    More potions Added
    Can now buy from garlilus market (WIP)

Bug fixes
    Minor text fixes
    Minor bug fixes

Still to come

More characters
    More Battles
    Demon
    Angel
    Blood Hunters

More houses will be added

Big event will be added

More story

more spells

Blood Magic Log 16 - 21/12/2017
    Big bug fixes
    minor text fixes
    New script on death event
    Cohalt map change

Known problem
    Balance issues

Blood Magic Log 17 - 01/01/2018
    Added the first battle encounter with a Blood Hunter.
    Added Blood Hunter
    Healing Spell Added
    Blood Boil Spell Added

Known Issue
    Character Balance

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  2. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Heyas, I gave your demo a go but it seems really short since I couldn't really find a way to move the story along after reaching Garlilus. :kaoswt2: I did take a lot of notes while playing though, so hopefully they'll be useful even if I didn't feel like I got very far.
    So, first thing I noticed is that you had resolution options, but only three of them seemed to actually do anything ( Normal 1 (544x416), Normal 2 (640x480), & Wide 1 (640x416)). Personally I'm not a fan of resolution options, since as you could see just from changing them on the menu that the smaller options could cut the titlescreen's background smaller than intended. I'd suggest just choosing one as the dev, but if you do want them then to make sure to only have working options.

There wasn't an intro, the player was just dropped into a room. And while a cutscene does start when heading downstairs, it seems like it could've been pretty easy to just have Trey say a sentence about getting the day started with Auntie's cooking or something.

Speaking of Trey, I'm not actually sure what his name is. :kaoeh: In dialogue his aunt and Oncald call him 'Trey', in the menu his status says 'Savva', and on his status screen it mentions 'Tray'... Since it was mentioned more by in-game characters I've been calling him Trey, but I notice in your post you call him Savva. I assumed that's just due to you changing his name at some point in development, but it'd be nice if it was all consistent while playing.

As I mentioned, I didn't get too far into any story so I can't really comment on that. What I can say is that Oncald didn't give Trey a list of what he needed like he said he would and then refused to speak at all after the first conversation. Which unfortunately for me meant that by the time I'd reached Garlilus, I'd totally forgotten what Trey had been sent to get. I eventually found the shop and bought all the spices there, but even then Oncald didn't speak. Since there wasn't really anyone else to talk to (Trey's aunt was in bed and not speaking either), I ended up stopping.

Battles were a huge part of my playtime (I decided to grind to level 5), but they weren't fun at all. Trey had no skills to use, so every fight was just me spamming attack. Considering that his class was Blood Mage, I thought he'd get some interesting skills but that didn't seem to be the case. Adding in usable skills would really be good to keep the player having fun while fighting. I also had an issue with the low availability of healing items at first, though I was quite thankful that the inn in Cohalt didn't charge me to rest there (I'm curious why Trey can't just rest in his own bed?). I lost a few fights just because I'd been looking around and didn't have a way to heal, and the only other option would've been to run from all fights which is something I don't think you really want to be training players to do.

There are a lot of spelling and grammar mistakes. I know you said in your post that you're dyslexic, but that does mean that you'll need to work a bit harder to try to catch them (some were simple, like 'Garlilus Entrence' instead of 'Garlilus Entrance' or forgetting periods at the ends of sentences). It may be a good idea to find a friend or family member who's willing to go over your script to help catch the big mistakes. If you can't do that, maybe us word or googledocs to type up your dialogue to see what it marks as wrong so that you can fix it before putting it in the game.

I think the maps could use some shrinking. They all seem much larger and emptier than I think you wanted, and since there were so few people around in Cohalt and the second town (which didn't seem to have a name), the world seems dead. There were some people in Garlilus, but most didn't say anything useful so the three maps for each district made the whole place feel empty. Personally I think you could've gotten away with just one map per district since there wasn't a reason to go to the maps on either side. There were also some passability issues, nothing major but things like being able to walk over the box of fish next to the second town's stall.

This is just me being picky, but why is the hemlock referred to with it's scientific name (Conium maculatum) while the Tarragon and Chamomile aren't? It seems like an odd choice to me.

Overall, you could have an interesting story but unfortunately I didn't really get to see it shine in this demo, and the battles need a lot more work before they'd be a lot of fun to do over and over.

Scalperhero likes this.
  3. Scalperhero

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I could have sworn I updated everything to go to his new name I will have to look at that before updating it again, but yes i do see what you mean about not being able to carry on which is a bummer I am updating the game today which will give you more I will be playtesting everything before releasing it this time tho.
    There should be parts of the story in houses as well there is a moment where Savva has a flashback that doesn't belong to him
    I have also fixed the list issue thanks so much for telling me about that I thought it was working but the common event hadn't been set, i need to keep a close eye on a lot of the event stuff.
    to clear up about the spells after you have done the first quest (fixed in new update) the characters power is no longer sealed.
    to be very honest with you I would love to have an intro lol but I just don't have one yet I'm hoping to change that at some point.
    if you play the update I would suggest that you check the houses that you can get into because there are some stuff hidden around like books on a shelf and stuff like that,
    the inn in cohalt is free due to the character who was fixing up the town
    I have taken out the resolution stuff as well so it should be a lot better now
    been working relentlessly for 4 days to update the demo to be more inviting and more playable for everyone, I have been having problems with some stuff like events so things are moving slower than what I would like it to, thank so much for pointing out the fact you can walk on stuff i will have to fix that
    oh before I forget about the names that you said.. the reason I used the scientific name for (Conium maculatum) and not the others is because I didnt no what the others were lol

If I missed anything that I didn't reply about please let me know so that I can cover everything

4. hiddenone

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, the problem I had was that I couldn't enter most of the houses in Cohalt or the second town, so by the time I reached Garlilus I didn't really see a reason to try any of the doors on normal-looking houses. Perhaps I just missed the places I could enter.
    Personally, I think even just a quick autorun event where Savva comments about heading downstairs would be better than the current silence. A full intro can always be added later. :rwink:

As for the scientific names, I don't think you really need to use any unless you have a reason to be hiding the plant from players who don't know much about botany. Good luck with your update! And don't forget, if you're having trouble with getting events to work you can always ask in the support section, helping each other is what this forum is for. :kaohi:

Scalperhero likes this.
  5. Scalperhero

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I am releasing a new update now which adds a lot more to the game that there was, there's now more to the story and you start to gain magic was you get then book of binding, and yeah you did pretty miss ALOT things are hidden around the reason a lot of places cant be entered into yet is because I dont have their maps made yet lol so i just locked the door, but there are places you can go into..buying onclads items is only an opsion as they can be found in buildings, also the update provides more main story not much but has more i also did add what you surggested about adding in a little intro thanks for that and thank you very much for taking time to play it

I would ask for help but being part of other places that are to do with rpg maker and asking there but being told to look it up got kind of annoying lol

6. hiddenone

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's a shame that you weren't able get a lot of help in other places, but I've found that asking in the support section on this forum tends to get you pretty good answers, or at least pointed in a helpful direction.

I gave the update a go, but ran into a game-breaking issue after returning to Oncald with the spices. His sprite looks like it tries to go onto the ladder but can't so the whole game ends up freezing.
    • Good that you've included a quick intro-ish comment from Savva, but him mentioning a dream while just sitting on a rug in the middle of his floor seems odd. Maybe make him start on his bed and then hop to the floor
    • Bread's help message isn't all that helpful, since it doesn't tell me if it heals more/less/same as a Lesser Healing Potion (it also says "recorver helth" instead of "recover health")
    • Ever heard the phrase "A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic."? The number of graves in the graveyard is so many that it kinda loses all impact on me (especially since Cohalt seems to be such a tiny town)
    • The butterflies look a bit odd just freezing in place when they're not moving, put 'stepping animation' on for them so they still flap while holding still
    • Okay, since I've already played this I know where Garlilus should be, but a new player won't. Which means that unless you want new players wandering down the Forest Path, make sure to have Savva say "oops, wrong way" or something so they know
    • Personal preference, but there's a lot of empty space on the world map. Try to limit huge spaces of emptiness since the map should be condensed enough to convey where things are while not making traversing it annoying
    • Why can I buy the Book of Binding for zero gold from this old man who wants to sell a sword? Especially since I'm unable to read it
    • The fortune teller has pink hair when she asks if I want my future told, but turns in the sprite's matching face after that
    Overall, good job making some improvements, it's too bad that the bug kept me from being able to get further. If you keep working hard and improving things I'm sure you'll end up with an interesting game.

7. Scalperhero

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    OMG wow so many issues dayum I'm so glad you found all them man thanks for letting me know dude I will be sure to get all them fixed asap and yeah I am trying to make all the improvements as I can when I can I gotta work hard, and yeah I know there's a lot of empty space on the world map I do plan to fill it out more over time thanks for pointing out all the bugs for me dude that helps a lot

the idea for the graveyard is to point out that so many people died in the war and a big graveyard was the only way I knew how to do that

I manage to fix them problems thank you very much for replaying it for me :) that really helped a lot now to role it out so I can get on with the rest of the game

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017