Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi there!

Anyone here knows the old game, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain?
Actionspiel-Legacy-of-Kain-Blood-Omen-Komplettloesung-320x240-d9efc78d1e866b31.jpg

I don't have any idea on how the graphics of this type of game were made. They seem to be a mix of "hand made", but the character sprites and some enviroments seem to be 3D, but in 2D. If someone can shed a light on this for me, I'll be eternally grateful.

Also, I would like to know if there would be enough interest for a game like this?
Would you be interested in a game of this style nowadays? Or it's too "outdated"?

Mortificator

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Maybe I'm late but I love Blood Omen LoK! Basically in any rpg game (like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, TEmple of Elemental Evil, and so on) I try to recreate the most suitable version of Kain for the game in question.
Today there are rumors about a remake of that fabolous game, so I think it's not so outdated.

Did you have any plans in mind?

TheGentlemanLoser

"And when we fall, we will fall together..."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I adore these games and as much as I hate everything being constantly remade and rebooted all the time across all media it feels insane that no one has done anyhting w/ this IP since the 2000s!

Anyway I'm pretty sure the graphics in the original LOK are a mix of 2D tiles, 2D sprites, and 2D prerendered backgrounds (what you'd call "matte paintings" in a film), I don't think anything in the game is *actually* 3D, I think some of it is just "3D-ish", kind of like how the sprites/levels in early-mid-1990s FPS games for the most part aren't actually 3D, they're 2.5D/pseudo 3D. Like, the enemy sprites are 8-directional 2D sprites, they're just kind of "angled" to appear pseudo 3D/2.5D/pseudo-2.5D.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Man, I loved the Blood Omen / Soulreaver series! Hands down, the best storyline of all time imo.

User636

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it's a 2D game that incorporated elements of 3D with it's top down perspective, design, and spritework. I'm not sure how large it is, but there is undeniably a market for old school games in this style. I actually think there are graphics in this general style in the official rpg maker shop if you're looking for a place to start.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Steam page is now live!
1632768058957.png
just discovered thig game called Willowbrooke Post... beautiful artstyle if I do say so myself... does anyone know what this kind of style is called??
In one of my game projects, I am working on an arena where you can fight combatants or bet on monsters, and, man, it is taking so long, lmao. I do not think that it helps that I am using an evented combat system with a lot of things that I have to edit.
Time to take a little break from the project to work on another for Skyrim. Shouldn't take too long, as it's just fulfilling an easy to do request(more than likely I'll get beaten to the punch but...) this also gives me an excuse to play Skyrim again LOL.
Dawg.gifKhat.gif
I made two new friends today. I'm not sure which style I like the best..?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Astro123