RMMV Blood Opera Crescendo

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Macbeth, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Macbeth

Macbeth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    A terrifying investigative adventure game set in the 18th century: classical music, baroque style, horrible murders.

[​IMG]

~~ THE STORY ~~

Year 17XX - Austria: former orchestra conductor Heinrich Steiner accidentally discovers the horribly mutilated corpse of an unknown person into the local theater. Someone turned that body into a working musical instrument. Heinrich, a passionate musical composer, is stunned: how can someone create something like this? Obsessed with the murderer and his musical skills, Heinrich is going to discover a tremendous truth hidden behind the luxurious curtain that covers the entire city. Who is the killer? Why is he doing all this? And more importantly: will Heinrich be able to discover his identity without being killed?

[​IMG]

~~ THE GAME ~~

Following the steps of the former orchestra director and skilled composer Heinrich Steiner, the player will uncover the secret behind a bloody trail of terrifying murders. Blood Opera Crescendo is trying to "break the limits" of RPG Maker, offering improved graphics, a deep story and game mechanics inspired from series like Ace Attorney. During the game you will face interrogations and misdirections: if failed, they will lead to game over. Unlike other "classic" adventure games, in Blood Opera Crescendo you can fail and the world is dangerous.

- A terrifying and elegant single-player adventure: a journey through the Baroque era on the trail of a murderer who transforms human beings into musical instruments
    - A refined soundtrack enriched with classical music masterpieces
    - 8-10 hours of gameplay for the complete game
    - Investigate, deceive, solve the mystery... and don't get arrested (or worse!)
    - Uncommon adventure game mechanics, some inspired from famous series like Ace Attorney: rhythm game, stealth, interrogation/misdirection phases
    [​IMG]

2. thedeanreynolds

thedeanreynolds Deficiency Productionz Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I played the demo a while back, and it oozes with atmosphere! Great job!

Macbeth likes this.
  3. Macbeth

Macbeth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Thank you very much! It's really appreciated!

thedeanreynolds likes this.
  4. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    This sounds wild (in a good way). Is the whole turning into a musical instrument inspired by that one episode of Hannibal? Because that terrified me more than anything else that show did.
    Ace Attorney is one of my favourite games (and Miles is my favourite character).

Definitely going to try this out.

RitualTeeth likes this.
  5. alice_gristle

alice_gristle Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I played it a bit, looks good! I quit when I couldn't find enough clues in the theatre. Probably not a game for my meagre patience.:biggrin: Also, that Heinrich dude is buff, for someone who's supposed to sit in his chamber night and day composing!

6. Macbeth

Macbeth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Thank you very much for appreciating! And yes, I love Hannibal too :D Let me know when you have tried the demo ;) I would love to hear your feedback!

Thanks ;) the theatre part is quite a hunt hahaha and yes, we like to take some "free space" when it comes to story and characters ;) in this particular case, our main inspiration is the anime series Versailles No Bara

alice_gristle likes this.
  7. alice_gristle

alice_gristle Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, yeah, in that case the abs make sense! There was one thing about the dialogue that made it a wee bit difficult for me: when you capitalise something for emphasis, the Gothic font makes it hard to read. Would it be possible for you to use italics instead? Or just write in a way that doesn't require emphasis?

8. Macbeth

Macbeth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Yes @alice_gristle I think we will change the game font in the future. It's quite hard to find a good font with a "old" look and easy to read at the same time :/

alice_gristle likes this.
  9. miani

miani Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    First of all the writing is very good. Despite that I think the introduction could be a bit shorter. Also the first time it I played, it started all over again at some point.

I would use a fonte with better readability.

I would make the game at 16:9 ratio. As much I'm a saudosist, I can't bare to play a game in 4:3 anymore.

Illustrations are very nice and pollited.

Overall map designs and illumination effects are very nice too.

I needed some time to see the empty oil lamp to take the oil from, you could put some kind of visual hint on it.

You lost a great opportunity of a puzzle at the start, you can use a plugin to increase or decrease the cello sound volume according to player position and let the player find from where the sound is coming from.

The body turned into a cello is very creepy. Is even creepier that the protagonist enjoyed it.

Let the player save any time he wants, people nowadays don't have time to play until he finds the item he needs to save the game, and they can just drop the game because of the progress lost.

I will play more of it later. It's hard to find something with that level of quality in RPG Maker community, I hope you can finish and release it.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Starbird_Resources likes this.
  10. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This looks promising. Will check it out later

Macbeth likes this.
  11. Macbeth

Macbeth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Thank you very much for your interest :) our Kickstarter campaign failed unfortunately but we are trying to set up a route to complete the game anyway ;) waiting for your feedback!

A big THANK YOU for your kind and detailed feedback! I'm really happy to read these words.
    You're definitely right about the puzzle part :) we are working to re-imagine the game after the Kickstarter campaign and we will definitely consider going 16:9 ratio and adding more features.

After 1 year of work on this project i feel definitely more skilled with RPG Maker MV and plugins, so it's time to improve!

And thanks for your last statement: it really gives me a lot of inspiration!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2019
  12. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Hey Macbeth, I finished your demo a while back, so sorry in advance if I point out things that have been fixed already:
    • If you're going to allow full-screen, I suggest to add a shutdown button to your (title) menu. Otherwise someone playing on fullscreen would have to change to window and then close the game.
    • Some text got cut-off. Images here.
    • I really loved the music.
    • I also liked the intro. I particularly loved how the piano piece became a full orchestra version. I feel like I was maybe just a couple of seconds too long, but that's mostly because I'm a fast reader and having to wait for the game to move on took some patience. ^^;
    • Also on the intro: it was really distracting to hear the Cursor SE play (especially since I wasn't comfirming anything anyway) and it took away some of the beauty of the intro.
    • During the chase in the opera scene, when everything turned dark I thought a cutscene was starting, so I didn't move for a while. Then when I realised maybe I should move, I ended up moving in the wrong direction, so everything remained dark. I assumed I'd hit a bug and was nearly about to close the game, when I finally moved to the light. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it wasn't completely obvious to me, what I should have done.
    All in all I really liked it. Definitely feeling the Ace Attorney and Hannibal vibes. I'm looking forward to playing more. :D
    I agree with the poster above that the footsteps in the opera could be turned into a puzzle. I personally don't care much about resolution though.