Blood Shard - Demo

Chrome

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
WTF I died in the first battle. Am I suppose to watch the entire intro again?

Quigon

electric boogaloo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I suppose you do D: you might want to save it after the intro next time.

C-C-C-Cashmere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Blood Shard

Pros:

• Effective title screen, custom and iconic theme music. Sound effect when toggling "New Game/Continue/Shutdown" options is pleasing to the ear
  • Poignant Nietzsche quote
  • Stellar scriptwriting - characters talk about important matters, and then amble off into unrelated topics, but in an engaging manner
  • Neat tooltips in the top-left corner
  • Plentiful loot everywhere, feels like I'm hoarding and I enjoy that feeling
  • Helpful that some items cast straight away, i.e. initially after using them in the menu, and then you are able to continue with moves from your other characters with this newfound knowledge. Items will actually be useful in this game.
  • Ah, Sharpstone buffs. If only they were useful in every game.
  • Robots? What? I didn't know this was semi-futuristic. :I
  • I've got 10 revive potions. I'm guessing there's going to be a lot of dying in this game.
  • Already I'm seeing that elemental-based attacks have logical use.
  • I'm getting pwned by my first boss. How unfair!
  • I feel like I'm using too many items. Oh well.
  • There are lewts to be found that aren't in obvious-to-find places. Whoopee!
  • Man, those tooltips are a potent insight into the minds of our protagonists and even his accomplices.
Cons:
  • Damalu: "I think our definitions ma differ slightly." You cut off a 'y' here
  • "Our definitions, have littl to do with it": your text is being cut off in the speech bubbles when I'm playing it.
  • In fact, on my system, all your text is cutting off. Are you using a custom text that my computer may not have? You should remedy that.
  • I'm confused at passability in the initial zone, due to the puddles that I can't cross. It seems to not make sense to me what I can and can't cross. Edit: Turns out I wasn't supposed to go that way. Still, it should be more clear what my boundaries are.
  • I still don't know why "Guard" is there though. It seems I never use it in any RPG except Sonny. That was a good buff-based RPG system.
  • No-one's told me what "Vigor" is yet and I'm assuming it's useful... somehow.
  • It CRASHED!
OK, when I finished fighting the robot and his man, and went into that fight with the dog and his owner, it CRASHED. I mean it literally won't respond. I don't know why that is. Also, there's the issue with the clipping of the text at the end of bubbles, because the text is too large on my computer. And because it's happening on my computer, doubtless it's inevitable to happen on others. I'm using a Windows 7 laptop with standard fonts and the RTP.

So, good game, but it's broken for me.

Edit:

I suppose you do D: you might want to save it after the intro next time.
Also, you might want to prompt a save screen after the intro. Ain't nobody got time for that. Either that, or give an option to skip the cutscene intro at the beginning of the game. Plenty of RPGs do that. That's only if you've got the balls to deprive players of seeing your all-too-gorgy blowing up of the city and massive shaking of the screen. Everybody got time for dat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quigon

electric boogaloo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thank you very much for your insight!

To remedy the clipping you need to install the fonts inside the game folder. I had no idea you could make a fonts folder to counter this before I made the demo - this used to be a VX demo and I can't remember if that was the case in the old engine - either way, if you get the fonts installed there will be no more clipping.

As for the crashes, I don't have a clue what's going on there. People have reported one or two random crashes just before battles to me already, but I can't seem to recreate that on my own project file. Will need to take a look into that.

Clord

Nya~
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Thank you very much for your insight!

To remedy the clipping you need to install the fonts inside the game folder. I had no idea you could make a fonts folder to counter this before I made the demo - this used to be a VX demo and I can't remember if that was the case in the old engine - either way, if you get the fonts installed there will be no more clipping.

As for the crashes, I don't have a clue what's going on there. People have reported one or two random crashes just before battles to me already, but I can't seem to recreate that on my own project file. Will need to take a look into that.
Well. That rabbit just outside of the hideout likes to crash if you dare to use action button on him.

Quigon

electric boogaloo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well. That rabbit just outside of the hideout likes to crash if you dare to use action button on him.
(aside from that yes :| I would change it but I'm an idiot and I've already made major changes to the demo project to set it up for the full release - i.e database restructuring and scripts being taken out and in and all that stuff, OTL)

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RSW is all about feedback (even if it’s a bit late now x.x) so here goes, notes as I play:

-Usually you put fonts in a folder (in the game directory) named Fonts so the user doesn’t have to manually install them. It’s not a huge pain but sort of annoying, and may turn really newbie users away.

-So far, music and sound design are pretty good! Mapping is nice, with some areas feeling a bit overdone (but that may be just me. It’s not a strong complaint).

-The intro is a bit…detailed and uninteresting. I fully admit I’m on the absolutely stupid side of things, so I’m not so good with intros that have a  LOT of implied information before the player knows anything about the plot. I’m sure this will all make sense later, it’s just a bit hard to care much about what’s going on besides “some bad guys attack a town”.

-The mapping passability with the water is a bit confusing. Some places let me step on areas that look like they’d be impassable, others not.

-Are there no instructions at all to combat? What does “Vigor” do?

-Woah, that escalated quickly. Two soldiers ganged up on Cyryl and he’s dead in one turn? Wtf. I’m not saying the game should be easy, but come me some slack on the first fight! ;A;

-Aaand, game over. On the first combat. While I still have no idea what I’m doing. Come ONNN.

-Fighting again, and again Cyril dies…-.- Is this going to be one of those “you gotta defend this character all the time” games? Because I can’t say I enjoy that style.

-Somehow beat the first encounter. I’d say overall it’s a terrible way to teach the player how to fight. I learn nothing other than 1-Cyril is a weaksauce, 2- Guard dude does not guard so well (and does not much in the way of attacking either)

-I see however that you recover after every fight, so there’s that. Some warning may have been nice, since I was not aware and was playing conservatively :<

-Ugh, I keep getting crashes with Error 103…(I think this happens in some games with Windows XP, so I doubt it’s specifically the game’s fault, just an annoyance).

-Even with an automaton muddled and the guard luring, Cyril got still aimed at by BOTH enemies and died again. There’s not much point in these skills if they’re not reliable :<

-Wtf, items are instant?! GIVE ME A HINT OF THIS, MAN! ;A; Seriously, SOME TIPS at the start for combat are necessary, I don’t make a habit of scouring the menu before the first fight to see how everything works (and I doubt casual players do that much either)

-Why are Bastion and Lure not executed always at the start of turn? It tends to lose effect extremely quickly if it has no effects on the turn it’s casted on (considering they last about that much)

-There’s a shin spot up on a door that can’t be picked up right before the boss?

-Got lynched at boss -.-

-There’s a blatant and slightly annoying abuse of the text forced pauses. They’re rather overdone and get in the way of reading more than enhace the experience :<

-Got killed again by the boss and I can’t be bothered to continue. Will stop here.

Ok, the obvious negatives first: there is a lot of problems with the combat in general. Some issues:

-Some enemies (such as the dogs or the automatons) need spells to cause damage, but these take forever to recast, so what am I supposed to do meanwhile? Waiting for a few turns isn’t exactly a very exciting strategy :<

-A number of skills are too slow to cast to be usable, lure and bastion being the most obvious.

-There are NO HINTS to very vital combat aspects, such as the hp and mp getting restored after every fight, some healing items are instant, spells have a cooldown instead of a cost, what the heck does vigor do, etc.

Overall…combat is not enjoyable. Which is a pity, because design and presentation are quite well done.

That out of the way: the game is very well presented. I specially liked the sound design. Graphics were nice too, with a few minor nitpicks (the map is too dark, passability is a bit iffy with the parallax sometimes) but nothing that would make me go “eww” or destroys the experience.

Writing was…okay. There was nothing for me to judge, as it was all pretty “cold” delivery by characters I had no context or attachment to. I could not really say if I liked the story, because I did not see any. Characters are also non-existent (some sort of spy and a guard who don’t do much anyway) so nothing I can say that way.

It would probably have been pretty enjoyable, had the gameplay been nice. It was not, so it was more of a chore and I eventually gave up after losing to the boss twice.

HOWEVER! Since the problems are so localized (combat and balance) I feel it’s easy to improve with some work, and I’m sure it would become a pretty enjoyable game!

And I hope that wasn’t too bad. I was brutally honest, but remember none of this is personal! :> Good luck with the game! (I hope my ramblings helped at all OTL)

Quigon

electric boogaloo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oh hey, brutal criticism is always the best and I really appreciate it! Yeah, I think I'm gonna add a tutorial in for the next release - or at least a manual of some kind, whatever. It's already been pointed out to me that Riffolk's skills kinda need to be quicker too, so that's getting changed. But no I know it's not personal and I am grateful for the feedback.

One thing that I am curious about is your issues with the writing. I'm not being 'that guy' and being all 'WELL HEY MY GAME IS EXPERT WRITING SHU'UP' so don't worry there, but I was aiming for some kind of in media res type thing - I guess that's why it might be a little difficult to get to know the character's from the get go. Any tips on that? 

Thank you very much for the detailed criticism though. You've reinforced some points that have been mentioned already, and also brought up a few new ones, so I'm very grateful~ I hope you feel like finishing off the demo at some point :)

C-C-C-Cashmere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh hey, brutal criticism is always the best and I really appreciate it! Yeah, I think I'm gonna add a tutorial in for the next release - or at least a manual of some kind, whatever.
I wouldn't read a manual bro, just saying, not in a million years. I barely read tutorial text, to be honest. The best tutorials, and the ones which indicate the best game design, are the ones which teach you as you go, learning by doing rather than reading.

One thing that I am curious about is your issues with the writing.
To be honest, I thought your writing was great expository writing, and it's not as confusing as a crapton of other RPG starts, including the Final Fantasy series and other famous ones. It was a relatively good intro, actually.

I think the main things you need to get rid of are those errors, buddy. I don't know what's causing them, but it happens to more than one person and it severely hampers your game's potential.

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, about the writing: I feel like there's just no foothold for the player to stand. It's obvious there is SOMETHING goign on, but it's hard to tell what it is, or who is the protagonist.

The characters also do not have much of a personality. The guard is loyal and the spy is cool-headed. There's not much else to go on, the guards you find around don't say much, and the town doesn't have any hints (plus hoenstly it's a bit dark so I would not be able to see any anyway XD)

So what could you do differently? Hoenslty I'd trim the openign a tiny bit: we don't need to hear a torrent of names of thigns and people we don't even know yet, it could be minimised (and honeslty speaking players tend to tune out talks about things they don't understand, I sorta did at the intro). You could have the actual characters talk a bit more in a way that actually let their motivations show a bit (not all of their personality, of course, just somethign to distinguish them, and stablish WHY the game is focused on them).

I heard somethign about some airship plans, but I have no context and no real inclination to care so far. I'd strip away all you can and leave it as barebones (terminology and backstory-wise) as possible and allow the characters to put themselves out there a bit more. Little vague details and some solid context do a better job of crerating interest than a lot of terms and details out of context that mean nothign to us. For example, if you jsut portayed that Cyricl is meant to do somethign BIG and sneak the plans somwhere or whatever with vague and "mysterious" dialog it'd do a better work of leaving the player wanting to find out more.

Another way to flesh the characters and setting out is to have them actually talk to the guards and npcs around a bit, or insepct the enviroment. These are easy ways to encourage the characters to talk. it doesnt have to be about anythign important, just snippets to let characters show themselves. For example what's the rank of these people? How do the soldiers report to them? Are their abilities normal, or are they special? Is the situation common or rare? Who are the attackers? We only get a name and the impression that the defenders dont know WHY they are attacking, but nothing else.

I really can't explain it very well, since I don't do so well with theory when it comes to writing :x I just know that as they are, they're sort of dry at the moment. Let them talk a wee bit more, develop their personalities.

NOW, despite all that I said, I know they're in the middle of a battlefield and this does not really encourage people to stop and chat. I understand that, which is why I did not criticise the writing too much. Maybe when the combat moces along better we'd be encouraged to just keep moving to the parts with less urgency (I'm guessinga at some point things would slow down a bit and allow for better characterisation) but as far as I played it was just not really something I felt like doing.

And that's another rant. Hope some of it helps ;-;

Quigon

electric boogaloo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@thatbennyguy - I have no idea what's causing these errors :| I'll need to take a look into it.

@Indrah - stuff does slow down considerably after the first boss fight, which I think helps with everyone's motivations/characters a little more. I mean, there are more plot threads dangled, but Cyril is given a lot more depth. If anything I really need to work on Riffolk, and I like the idea of the NPCs around Arcontana perhaps saying a little more. I'll go over the script for the next release too so I can see about trimming some of the fat.

Dark_Metamorphosis

What a horrible night to have a curse.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Hey Gorlami, sorry for being a bit late with my feedback but here goes!

Some of the points that I had in mind have already been covered by previous posters (such as the fonts being in a own folder named 'fonts', And a small tutorial for the combat system etc), but I'll do my best to add some feedback for you. Hope it will be a decent read!

The intro is visually outstanding, I have to say! Like I said earlier I have had my eyes on this for a while and watched the youtube video that presented a fragment of your intro, and It's just as great as It seemed the first time around. The atmosphere is spot on, and everything is put together to give it a totally 'epic' feel, and the music pieces along with the sound effects (the alarm etc) just adds it up even more!

The mapping is amazing too, and I will never understand how people can map like this.. are you using parallax mapping for the game by the way? In any case it looks really, really nice! One thing I found a bit weird was the fires inside the town, they look a bit weird since they have no animation and that makes them look a bit stale and unnatural. The fire itself though looks really nice, but the lack of movement from it turns me off a bit (I'm not sure if that could be something that you could work around, and It's really just a minor detail that struck me).

The dialouge is very well written (And I really like those forewords presented in the intro), and the plot seems really promising so far!

When I could take control of my character I happened to notice that It can be pretty hard to see from time to time (Especially when I was supposed to find all the guards and slay them). The darkness really adds up to that epic atmosphere that I talked about before, but maybe you could tint it up just a tiny bit so it would be a bit easier for the eyes? I'm not sure if the atmosphere would take damage from this, but I have to say that the darkness makes it a bit hard to see and that was a bit frustrating for me (I'm not sure if It's just me on this part though?)

The battles were really challenging, but not over the edge. I think that the lack of a tutorial is the reason it might be a bit overwhelming at first (as previous posters have said). Once I understood the concept of some of the features in the battle system it was a lot easier to go out in victory against the enemy, but I had a lot of game overs before that (especially with the first mech-robot boss, sorry I forgot the name of it). The vigor system was really confusing at first, before I understood how it worked and I'm not that used with a more item-friendly system (which is really great, It's just that I usually don't pay much attention to items in a more deep way when it comes to games). I think that some small tutorial sections in the first 3-4 battles would help out tons in that approach and set the players off with a nice base to stand on, and it would resolve a lot of confusion at the start of the game.

As a conclusion I really think you have done an amazing job with this demo, the mapping is awesome, the music is amazing and the atmosphere is really striking!

The battles are pretty hard, and can be a bit confusing before you get a bit used to it, but the overall battle system is really well done (And I like the more item-friendly feature as well). The puzzles are also nicely done, and I think that the plot looks very interesting so far!
All in all I really enjoyed the demo, and I'm looking forward to play it again! Keep up the good work!

Best Regards!

~Dark.

Quigon

electric boogaloo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thank you very much!

Yeah, I'm thinking about maybe rather than overwhelming the player in the first battle with 'THIS IS WHAT THIS DOES AND THIS IS WHAT THAT DOES AND THIS IS WHAT THESE DO', I'm gonna fan out the basics of the battle system per each fight - so like, the initial one against the soldiers can focus on using spells perhaps, then the one with the mage on using vigor & items - I dunno, we'll see. I always find it really difficult to process a massive amount of mechanic related info in a game if it's flung at you from the get go, so something like that seems a good idea.

Strange that the fire isn't animated for you (you're not the first person to mention this either) - it seems that there've been a few bugs with parallaxes not animating correctly. More things to squash for me I guess >.< glad you enjoyed it though!

Chrome

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Okay here comes my review. I got to control Drake then I turned it off. Also you should know that I agree with everything Indra said so Im not going to re type that. But I will point out some things that I haven't seen yet. 

Glitches

- Fire and water animations do not work

- After beating interceptor, if you walk back to the beginning, the intense music will start to play again.

Critiques

- I took your intro pretty seriously and got into the mood of a serious game, then when I first gain control of the character, I opened the menu.............Like WTF how am I going to take those faces seriously. It made me read the text using micky mouse and goofy voices. It killed the game for me.

- Battlers are ugly, just saying. 

- I know that indra already said this but I just want to double emphasize. I do not care for the characters (especially when I control drake, who is the Main of the game?) I started not caring for reading text sometime after I beat interceptor. (maybe it is the lack of faces)

- I also want to triple emphasize that I do not like the battle mechanics and overall game play AT ALL. first time I fought interceptor I died, it took me the 1 or 2 days to TRY AND FORCE MYSELF TO PLAY so I can write this for you. Then I got control and Drake and said screw it. 

- I do not like holding shift to run. Also holding shift may cause accidental text skip.

- I think the way the name window and the text window are align is ugly. 

- The lock number puzzle was...hard in a bad way. I do not think I could have ever got that.

- Great looking maps and presentation. 

Final Thoughts.

In my opinion, your game is like an average looking girl with tons and tons...and tons of make up, so she seems hot...but once you see her up close in the sunlight...

I respect you as a developer and I hope this did not offend you because I straight did not sugarcoat anything I just said. 

Quigon

electric boogaloo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Welp, it's difficult to not feel offended for the fantastic artists that put a lot of time and effort into the artwork of the battlers and the faces, the latter being a friend of mine too. It would help me personally (and I'm sure them as well) if you could give a little more reasoning behind why you find the battlers unappealing other than 'ugly', because that is verging on a little rude.

Also, you say you don't care for Drake at all but you haven't gone further than initially controlling him - and while the writing and characterisation could probably use a little more work, it might help if you continued on to the end of the demo (which is like another half hour or so after that point), but hey, if you don't like it you don't like it.

Other than that though, thank you for taking the time to play it and I hope you come back to the final release. Also the parallaxes animations seem to be really bugging out - about a handful of people have said they've been fine, and others have stated they're not animated at all. More things to look into!

Dark_Metamorphosis

What a horrible night to have a curse.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
WTF I died in the first battle. Am I suppose to watch the entire intro again?
No offence, but I find this comment a bit hillarious.. for what It's worth that's not really the developers fault now is it? You forgot to save, and you happened to die.. That's your fault, not the developers.

I can see your point from one aspect though, and that's why I made it a possibility to skip the intro in my game.

Even so, blaming the developer for a fault that you made is a bit hillarious. Suck it up! :D

On a final note, maybe the whole comment was made to be hillarious...

When it all comes around, you are pretty famous for your snarky comments ;)

C-C-C-Cashmere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
No offence, but I find this comment a bit hillarious.. for what It's worth that's not really the developers fault now is it? You forgot to save, and you happened to die.. That's your fault, not the developers.
I'd disagree here. Your job as the developer is to create the optimal experience for the player as you can. If you want your player to have a good time, try to make it easy for them. It's not difficult to prompt a save screen so players don't get initially frustrated and quit your game. It's just common sense.

On a final note, maybe the whole comment was made to be hillarious...

When it all comes around, you are pretty famous for your snarky comments ;)
That too. Lol.

Gorlami, Chrome tends to be overly critical in his comments, so just ignore him about those battlers. The art is actually damn fine, in my opinion. Also, Chrome, did you have any positive feedback to balance your criticism, or was it just pure negatives? lol.

Chrome

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I did not know people get offended by dissing other people lol jk. And I didnt know my post come of as so rude, just blunt. 

Face - they look like they are made for a comedy game. Your friend needs to completely change his style for your game.

Battlers - they are noticeably uglier then RTP which is what I am used to. Go out and show a picture of an RTP paladin and one of your human battlers and ask random people which is better. I cant give any advice because its a difference is skill. Im not sure who the artist is but it looks like holders. I respect him and think hes a cool guy for making many resources for us to use but I'm not gonna be all nice and say "wow, your battlers are so amazing". Cause that would be really unhealthy for any artist, starving or not.

@ Dark: its bad game design. You do not let the player go straight into a hard fight without letting him get the feel of how battle works first. Dark Souls is suppose to be one of the hardest games and has little to no hand holding, but no one dies in the very first normal zombie....they die in the first boss. As for this game, you die in the very first normal enemy. Its not just me, I already read 2 other people that died in the first fight. At that point the game is not hard...its cheap.

Do I really have that rep? God I try so hard to be nice too, whats the point of even trying anymore...

@thatbennyguy: I said....I like the presentation and his mapping. That should balance it all out. 

Quigon

electric boogaloo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I did not know people get offended by dissing other people lol jk. And I didnt know my post come of as so rude, just blunt. 

Face - they look like they are made for a comedy game. Your friend needs to completely change his style for your game.

Battlers - they are noticeably uglier then RTP which is what I am used to. Go out and show a picture of an RTP paladin and one of your human battlers and ask random people which is better. I cant give any advice because its a difference is skill. Im not sure who the artist is but it looks like holders. I respect him and think hes a cool guy for making many resources for us to use but I'm not gonna be all nice and say "wow, your battlers are so amazing". Cause that would be really unhealthy for any artist, starving or not.
While I welcome your opinion, I'm not going to change the art style because you don't happen to like it - I for one think they fit really well and you're the first person that has openly said they don't - and like I said, I respect your opinion, but I'm probably not going to go changing my very talented friend's style based off of personal taste. I'm sorry you can't take them seriously, but I can, and I assume others can too. So apologies, I won't be budging on the artwork because 1. I don't feel like there's any need to, and 2. the artist has done a great job in my opinion. But that's my opinion and you have yours, so we shall just need to agree to disagree unfortunately, because on something as subjective as art there isn't really a right answer other than your own.

Also FYI the battlers are Thalzon's, which surprises me you didn't notice them - they're very popular and very well-liked, and he's an art-slinging machine, and I very much like his work. See above for comments on subjectivity and whatnot.

Chrome

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yea man, I didnt expect you two. Just giving me my 2 cents.

Oh and yea when I said holders I meant thalzon, his name for some reason didnt reach my head. Holder is the animated one. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So I'm practicing ITC with a spirit box, and decide to try to contact my deceased soulmate. It actually gave me multiple identifiers. Me, still a bit skeptical, asked aloud "Fine but does he still love me?" and the box spoke and printed the word "Forever" at the same time. Been a mess of tears since. :kaocry:
Been scratching away at my game and making progress, but just had a revelation. I'm working in full screen and adjusting all my pictures accordingly, but will they resize if someone's screen is smaller?? I hope this doesn't turn out to be a problem later.
Why is there so much month left at the end of money? D=
Hello humans! How goes your day in this journey of living? I hope it is good, for I am human like you, and I am feeling great! Worship the altar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GmOcean