Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's pretty weird of me of all people (god knows I'm brutal and some peeps may call me a hypocryte of this, who knows) but Chrome dude I don't know what your intention is but you come off unnecessarily rude, be careful with that or it could cause trouble when you don't want it to :/

There's brutally honest and then there's rude. You come off as rude. I'd be careful on how you phrase yourself, as it may a be a disconnect of how you think in your head and how it looks written down. (And honeslty Gorliami has taken criticsim veeery mildly so far, other people would not. God knows I'd be pretty pissed.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Quigon

electric boogaloo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It's pretty weird of me of all people (god knows I'm brutal and some peeps may call me a hypocryte of this, who knows) but Chrome dude I don't know what your intention is but you come off unnecessarily rude, be careful with that or it could cause trouble when you don't want it to :/

There's brutally honest and then there's rude. You come off as rude. I'd be careful on how you phrase yourself, as it may a be a disconnect of how you think in your head and how it looks written down. (And honeslty Gorliami has taken criticsim veeery mildly so far, other people would not. God knows I'd be pretty pissed.)
Thanks Indrah~

Welp, good new from me, I got my skill learning system all scripted and ready to go, so now there can be actual character growth! I also have taken a few balancing issues into consideration that I think have helped an awful lot - namely getting some tutorials in there and changing the initial fight from two soldiers to one. The Interceptor's damage output hasn't been touched, but that's more because now that there's actual levelling involved now, the HP boost you get from that more than balances it out.

Riffolk's skills have been sped up, Cyril's defence/HP ratio has increased - it's still challenging, I want to reiterate that, but it feels maybe a little more fair now. I've been mucking about with the spells/forte skills too, and would quite like an opinion - should I just contain cooldowns to forte skills, and have spells cost SP instead? It seems to make more sense, but I'm not sure how it would change the flow of battle. Given that forte skills are kinda mostly for support it seems a little more sensible to do it that way - what do those who have played it think?

The main deal I'm struggling with right now is with the writing, because honestly, I have no idea where to start with that. Chrome & Indrah were the first to point out that it might be less than satisfactory, and while I've always thought it's a big improvement since the VX demo, I don't want it to become an issue. I'm still inclined to believe that there's not *too much* wrong with it, because when you get to Drake and play out his segment, a lot more of the character's personalities and motives are described, and it feels more natural there - I dunno. Again, not being 'that guy', I am trying very hard to overcome obstacles and I am very grateful for the criticism so far, but there's also the 'you can't please everyone' point that I feel like the demo has reached - because the opinions on everything have been slightly polarized so far.

I dunno. I'm just brainstorming aloud, OTL.

Chrome

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I didnt know that I was being rude so sorry.

About your writing...its not about the writing itself. This is my problem with it.

- too much information in the beginning which is okay if that information is not important, the only thing I got from the beginning was the the guy you control plays for the other team. Thats it.

-Im not a fan of not controlling the main character at first. That is why I didnt care about drake because I put all my thoughts and emotions on the first guy, guessing what is his/my motivation for doing all of this, etc etc. Then I control drake and everything was for nothing.

-Im a fan of high action intros like Blood shard, FF7,9, 10. But I know what is going on and with little dialog. ( I dunno if you played FF but here are the reasons why I like these intros better)

FF 7 : You do not know what is going on and just start fighting guards. The intro has very little dialog just gameplay. You eventually figure out why you blew up the reactor after the fact. Now at this point you know who Cloud is a mercenary that only cares about money. You start to understand him and all that. You also understand that barret cares about the planet and his daughter and understand him as a person. (All this with little dialog) So at this point the game already establish the motivations of two characters.

FF9: The game gives information in the beginning like you but the players knows exactly whats going on (this group of bandits wants to kidnap the princess for money) simple as that. Players will not say "what is going on"

FF10: The players has no idea what the hell is going on BUT neither does the main character!

Blood Shard: A lot of information is given to me at once and I fear if I do not understand it then I will not understand the story. When I found out that the guy you control is playing for the other team, I thought cool and wanted to learn more about him and his motivation etc etc. But then change characters.

It is great to an action packed intro and then a calm afterwards but, its just a completely different setting and character. Much like FF12. And I do not really dig that.

If I were you, I would make the battles much more enjoyable so the players would want to keep on playing when they control drake and hence the players will know who drake is and his motivations. As of now, most people would not close the game after they control drake, I just have a really low tolerance that that kind of thing

My 2 cents. Hope this helped!

Quigon

electric boogaloo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oh hey, that's actually really helpful. Lot's o' stuff I can put into consideration there.

L'Antipatico 2.0

Master Manipulator
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
Seems a masterful work, the mapping is gorgeous...gonna download and test it right now, expect a review soon.

PS: lol and maximum respect for your awesome nickname and Member Title...ahah^^

Quigon

electric boogaloo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks! Remember to install the fonts and consult the demo guide if you're having trouble!

L'Antipatico 2.0

Master Manipulator
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
Ok tested it, here's what I think so far:

+ Excellent mapping and superb atmosphere.

+ Nice intro and effects well put together (the multiple explosions on the world map are very very nice)

+ As opposed to what others say, I liked a lot the custom facesets and the battlers.

+ Nice and fitting sounds and music themes.

- Hard as hell, Cyril is a weakling he "needs" to be stronger, I keep losing a lot even in normal battles (that's frustrating).

- Too dark: In the whole Prologue and in the second scene, I can barely see the characters, plus the selection (red?) bar in the title is barely visible.

The first boss was a bit tough but not that tough, the game also needs a brief tutorial about the BS, because I was a bit confused about it at first. Adding a quest journal could also help to have a better idea of what to do next.

I can't give a rating because the game isn't complete but it's still an excellent and very promising work, fix those annoying things and you're ready to go.

Quigon

electric boogaloo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Alright thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it~

XinChao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I don't like reading the whole Intro story. I only look at the arts (mapping, unique graphics) which decide me to test out the demos, because I don't have time to test out every demos out there so I only pick the one I consider worth to try.

I give you feed back after 1 minute play, hope you will the same (give feedback on my upcoming demo.)

As I mention I don't read intro story posted on the forum so I expected the demo will have attractive plot for me continue playing.

The Demo, the story in the beginning is fine. Not too much of talks like many other demos out there.

The game is hard, I got killed in the first encounter. This is not good.  In the beginning most games suppose to be easier. I don't expect I will die in first encounter that would discourage me to explore the whole content.

I takes little bit of work to get demo running, installing the fonts. That is no good either.  It has to be ready and play no more config. Since it is the demo.

My game crashed again after the second encounter. 

Unfortunately, I say I will pass this game. I don't have patience for a demo not well-ready to release. 

Don't rush on your game, don't rush to release your games till you are ready.

Dont get discouragement  or offensive, Normally, I don't give feedback for game I test, your game is different.

TengHu

Abscond Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
This is not good.
lol My favorite line of your review. I can just imagine you wagging your finger saying that.

Seriously though, I think this game is great. I played the old demo back on VX.net and I enjoyed it and I'm willing to play it again. I agree with you on the "no more config" part but I don't think that's really a big deal. The game crashing on you isn't necessarily Quigon's fault. It can be your computer.

XinChao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
It may be my computer, I dont rule out of that possibility. However, I am not the only person experiencing game random crashing. thebennyguy also ran into the same issue. I think the game has scripts conflict.

Btw, I am not bashing his game. Just want to give him feedback because his game can potentially be a good one. There are hundred games out there I did not bother to test, just by look at the graphics and features, I can tell that game is whack, because the developer did not put in his/her efforts.

TengHu

Abscond Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
It may be my computer, I dont rule out of that possibility. However, I am not the only person experiencing game random crashing. thebennyguy also ran into the same issue. I think the game has scripts conflict.

Btw, I am not bashing his game. Just want to give him feedback because his game can potentially be a good one. There are hundred games out there I did not bother to test, just by look at the graphics and features, I can tell that game is whack, because the developer did not put in his/her efforts.
I know you're not bashing it. Just saying that some errors are not necessarily the dev's fault. But I did have crashes in my game once due to too many scripts. So it could be the game. I still like this game regardless.

lol I'll assume you're talking about games in general and not this one, right? Cause the graphics in this is real good.

XinChao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Yup Im talking about in general, this game he seems put in a lot efforts on mapping, too bad many bugs kill the ruined the demo.

Quigon

electric boogaloo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks for the feedback. This is a little on hold atm but all of the reports have been collated into a big ol' 'things to fix' list :)

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I just tried the demo and agree with other people's general opinions : that game is hard, like really hard.

First combat->dead. How can a foot soldier counter-attack a flintlock shot ?

There are too many counter-attacks. I know we can disable them, but is that supposed to become a standard fighting procedure to always try to disable it ? I think it would be better to let it happen only with some fights/enemy type.

And I also got two crashes, always happening when a combat would occur. Sometimes it works (I tested with the same movement pattern) and sometimes it crashes. Hard to debug...

A funny thing : How do you quit the game ? If you don't count on crashes ( >_> , sorry, that was an easy one) there are no Return to title or Shutdown options. Are we supposed to kill the window ?

Or the game is soooo cool you'll never want to quit it !

For the little time I could play, I loved the mapping and the music. It made me retry the game after my first crash :D .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Been scratching away at my game and making progress, but just had a revelation. I'm working in full screen and adjusting all my pictures accordingly, but will they resize if someone's screen is smaller?? I hope this doesn't turn out to be a problem later.
Why is there so much month left at the end of money? D=
Hello humans! How goes your day in this journey of living? I hope it is good, for I am human like you, and I am feeling great! Worship the altar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AKPoliandro