Blu ray vs Ordinary DVD

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Sennie, Jan 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sennie

Sennie Demon Slayer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hi everyone,

I was looking up DVDs earlier on and saw a lot of them are now being released as blu-ray and wondered what your opinions are on blue-ray compared to ordinary DVDs? :)

I haven't got a blu-ray player so can't say whether or not that blu-ray is better than an ordinary DVD, but hopefully you guys and girls can :)

So which one do you think is better? I am thinking about buying a blu-ray player and am just curious to which one is better :)

Hugs.

Matthew.

2. Zeriab

Zeriab Huggins! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Looking at the medium itself a blu-ray disc are strictly better than a dvd. Basically consider that it can store 10 times as much data. (Technically DVD: Min 4.7 GB, max 17.1 GB. Blu-ray: Min 25 GB, max: 200 GB)

For actually using the discs almost all, if not all, blu-ray players can also play dvds.

*hugs*

- Zeriab

3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As for the video quality - theoretically a blu-ray can display to a much higher resolution than a DVD and thereby getting the better picture on HDTV, but that is limited by the source material - no blu-ray can create data that doesn't exist, and for that reason a lot of BR's have the same picture quality as DVDs, especially when containing older videos that don't exist in HD.

Alexander Amnell likes this.
  4. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Simple
    DVD - 720x480 resolution (since most if not all movies are released as widescreen the movie is letterboxed 480p)

Blu-ray - 1920x1080 FullHD

4K Blu-Ray - 3840x2160 (probably actual 4k though 4096x2160) These aren't out but coming soon.  With 4K blu-rays just research the movie as it's most likely an upscale from 2K resolution. 

When it comes to older movies, they were shot on film so scanning a 1080p print is easy as cake, and 4K is also possible!  Most movies were shot on 32mm up until like the early 2000s!  Older movies are going to have native 1080p and 4K resolutions as long as the scan to HD or 4K was done properly.  Now for Digital, many movies today are shot at 5K but post is 2K so the effects are 2K but footage 5K so the master is 2K, unless they redo the effects to 4K there won't be any true 4K movies for awhile unless they go back to post.  

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2016
  5. Lizard19

Lizard19 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Color seems to be a huge change in blu-rays, especially for animated films. Colors can be a lot more vibrant, and overall more beautiful to look at. Another nice thing with blu-rays is that you can access the menu at any time, which can really save loading time.

6. captainproton

captainproton Dangerously Nifty Veteran

First Language:
    english
    The thing about old movies shot on film, technically it is possible to scan them in full hd, but a) the film grain probably doesn't equal full hd, and b} the film has probably degraded/is no longer in existence.  Celluloid is fragile and volatile, and hard to preserve in the original medium.  

4K honestly won't be worth the investment for years.  Nothing's made in the format, and unless you have a 60+ inch tv, you won't notice the $1k difference.  

But, yeah, generally, if you're watching a newer movie, especially an action flick or something like a Pixar movie, you will definitely see a difference between DVD and blu ray.  

Alexander Amnell and Seacliff like this.
  7. Idril

Idril Widdershins Games Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If you have the funds I'd get a BluRay player - they can play DVDs AND BluRays, so all your old movies will still play. You can access the menu at any time, new movies will play in better quality (especially if you have an HDTV, then on new movies you can seriously see people's pores and stuff if you get close enough to the TV), and a lot of BluRays have WAY better special features than their DVD counterparts.

BUT if you can't afford one I wouldn't stress it. They're cool but not so cool to warrant breaking the bank (although they're not that bank-breaking per se, I think mine was like twenty bucks or something).

8. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    For movies that have came out in the past 10 years when Blu-rays were still a thing, then they are objectively better on every level. Higher resolution, better colors, and all that jazz said above. It's a bit more expensive, but it's worth the price. I don't care for rescales of older movies though, as said above Blu-Rays can play normal DVDs, but I need an excuse to brush off my PS2.

9. captainproton

captainproton Dangerously Nifty Veteran

First Language:
    english
    And, actually, the players are becoming more and more reasonably priced.  A blu ray player with streaming capabilities, from good brands like Sony and Samsung, even, can be as low as $50.  A more basic model, without the streaming ability, would be even less.