MetsuG
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi.I'm going to talk about blue mages.

You may be asking what is a blue mage,right?

Blue Mages (From Some Final Fantasy Games) are a unique class that can learn magicks from monsters,actualy,they need to get hit by a magic to learn it,so,i think they are masochists...

Anyways this is kinda bad,especially if is in Tactics,because the monsters AI will not use any magicks against the blue mages at all,even if is a monster that only has magicks,he will go all the way to you just to use a normal physical attack that does 4 dmg instead of doing a freaking fire magick that does 85 dmg.

I think Blue Mages in most games are bad,that's why i made my own blue mage!

BlueMagePixelArt.png

this is justa reverence image,btw.

In my games this little girl up there is a blue mage,she got a curse since her birth,that makes so she can't remember things well,and have inssues with reading and learning,cuz of that she can't learn spells and even if someone teaches her anything,in one hour is all gone.

It's kinda of a commun disease,but the most of the times someone that get it will never know,because not learning magick is not for everyone.

But she and her brother keep trying to find a way to break the "curse",and on the way she learns that she has an ability to feel the mana/Sp on an magick attack,and with that she just need to learn the basics of spells and she is fine.

For other stuff:

My Blue Mages,that i will be revering as Blue Mage Edited they:

1-Don't learn any spells from level up

2-Can't be K.O.'d by magick,like an false swipe from a scyther

3-if you are playing D&D,if you get 1 or 20 as an BLue Mage Edited,you don't roll wild magicks

4-can actualy learn physical attacks,if it's like an mana punch or something like that.

5-Can learn not only damaging spells,but heal spells(White Magick) and buffs and de-buffs spells

6-Blue Mage's learning works like almost like an sharingan,can copy commun magicks like fireball,but if he/she has not read anything about special magick,like let's say necromancy,she/he can't learn it

(Btw,one funny thing,i was talking with a friend about blue mages,and he said "What if a Blue Mage,dies in combat,then an necromant uses his spell on his/her body,does he/she just wake up and say,oh thanks for the spell man,see you later nerd,and just run away" i had nothing to say)

7-My own Character actualy has only 3 Spell point,bc of the curse,and that way is easy to play board games(easy math hehe) and she can use one or two spell points on a magick to increase her dmg and range,and i think it's a good mechanic to the game.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In my RPGM game i made the blue mage as my main character.
First,to learn a magick the player had to buy books,like,inicial fire book,to learn low level fire moves,and the same o other elements.
I made so the mage can buy swords and knifes and bows because 1-You are alone in the first hour of game play and 2 you can have mid-battle weapon enchantments,like,10% + on your sword or Adds fire to your next knife attack,or 100% accuracy on your bow shoots for 2 turns.
Bc you started as a no money adventurer,you can choose from 3-5 diverent missions on the quest board,(nd i made like that bc i'm bad at using the tilesets,and i could just use backgrounds and pngs to do the work)and by having a chance on choosing a quest of you likes,the player can pick one that he thinks he's going to learn a good move.

I think that's that,thank you for reading if you came all the away down here.
What do you think about it?Anymore rules and traits you want to suggest?
Coment below
Shout out to my friend Kaitre,he does not have an account on the forun,but he helped me on making this!

And wear your sit-bealt:rhappy:

Attachments

Alkaline

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love the concept of Blue Mages and I do agree it is unfortunate how impossible it feels to train one. I had one in FFTA and i tried getting Lore for Strago in FF6 but had little luck with it.
I think the main issue with Blue Mages is that it is too independent of the player. Learning new skills and getting stronger comes a lot from the AI's input and the player tends to feel cheated out of the skills, like how you mention getting hit by a physical move that deals 4 damage instead of a more damaging spell.
With that being said, I think some good ideas would be to make it more controllable to the player, such as forcing aggro or having a lightning rod effect onto the Blue Mage so it doesnt feel like it is all up to luck.

Gabriel-Chi

MetsuG
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love the concept of Blue Mages and I do agree it is unfortunate how impossible it feels to train one. I had one in FFTA and i tried getting Lore for Strago in FF6 but had little luck with it.
I think the main issue with Blue Mages is that it is too independent of the player. Learning new skills and getting stronger comes a lot from the AI's input and the player tends to feel cheated out of the skills, like how you mention getting hit by a physical move that deals 4 damage instead of a more damaging spell.
With that being said, I think some good ideas would be to make it more controllable to the player, such as forcing aggro or having a lightning rod effect onto the Blue Mage so it doesnt feel like it is all up to luck.
Yeah,could be good if the mage had an passive skill to jump in front of an ally if it's being tarqueted by magicks

Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's usually a strategy to have the monsters hit you with that specific ability (and there's one within FFTactics too). Abilities are usually considered as "ranged" stuff, so if you paralyze the monster, float or float yourself, the chance of the monster using a special ability increase (it does use the ability as the normal attack is locked out). Some react to their HP or Status. So, for example, using an Arm Break attack on a goblin, so it cannot use his basic weapon, increase the chance of a Goblin Punch. Blinding a Floating eye (ehehehe) increase the chance of triggering an Evileye ability.
As many monsters try to maximize inflicted damages, turning your back in a way they can backstab is another way of increasing the triggering of a special ability. An Angel Ring or auto-Phoenix Down is a good extra to have the Blue Mage survive the bad experience.
Other tricks:
Lure/Charme, control the monster
Inflict Blindness
Inflict Rage/Berserk
Simply... Eggs!
Even more simply... Recruit monsters with a Diplomat!
(in some other game where you can lure monsters, you can collect abilities by farming and feeding creatures in a ranch)

Why so complex? 'Cause usually Monster Abilities are of the "generic" damage type, they aren't spells, they bypass any physical and magical barrier, ignore elemental absorb/resistance, so they are indeed more usefull than canonical spells in a number of core battles.

Last edited:

thecursedcometh

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe this is a tad unbalanced but Blue Mages in my game I'm working on only have to see the skill being used. That way they can also learn support skills. The enemy still has to use the skill but the Blue Mage doesn't necessarily have to be the target of said skill.

Last edited:

Gabriel-Chi

MetsuG
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's usually a strategy to have the monsters hit you with that specific ability (and there's one within FFTactics too). Abilities are usually considered as "ranged" stuff, so if you paralyze the monster, float or float yourself, the chance of the monster using a special ability increase (it does use the ability as the normal attack is locked out). Some react to their HP or Status. So, for example, using an Arm Break attack on a goblin, so it cannot use his basic weapon, increase the chance of a Goblin Punch. Blinding a Floating eye (ehehehe) increase the chance of triggering an Evileye ability.
As many monsters try to maximize inflicted damages, turning your back in a way they can backstab is another way of increasing the triggering of a special ability. An Angel Ring or auto-Phoenix Down is a good extra to have the Blue Mage survive the bad experience.
Other tricks:
Lure/Charme, control the monster
Inflict Blindness
Inflict Rage/Berserk
Simply... Eggs!
Even more simply... Recruit monsters with a Diplomat!
(in some other game where you can lure monsters, you can collect abilities by farming and feeding creatures in a ranch)

Why so complex? 'Cause usually Monster Abilities are of the "generic" damage type, they aren't spells, they bypass any physical and magical barrier, ignore elemental absorb/resistance, so they are indeed more usefull than canonical spells in a number of core battles.
Thanks,now i can beat FFTA2 with just an blue mage

Alkaline

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I remember FFTA had both a Blue Mage and a Morpher class, but i dont remember if the Morpher using monster skills on the Blue Mage made him learn said skills

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Best way I've seen this issue of learning monster skills handled was FF7 because you had control materia and could force the enemy to use the skill on your character. I think there were only 2 or 3 enemies that didn't work on. Then of course there was the particular enemy skill that you could only get once per playthrough on a save file so if you messed it up then no perfect enemy skill materia for you.

Honestly the idea of a blue mage has always sucked IMO. I've never seen it implemented well in any game I've played that uses it. Enemy skills have always sucked compared to what the players learn on their own. They are always gimmicky and super situational. It's basically just a developer joke to get players to sink time into a useless mechanic by trying to invoke some sense of nostalgia.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly the idea of a blue mage has always sucked IMO. I've never seen it implemented well in any game I've played that uses it. Enemy skills have always sucked compared to what the players learn on their own. They are always gimmicky and super situational. It's basically just a developer joke to get players to sink time into a useless mechanic by trying to invoke some sense of nostalgia.
Hmm, I wonder if it's a bad thing I'm having my enemies (not bosses) use the same skills available to the player... I like the idea of a Blue Mage overall, but I too have never experienced it being implemented well.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it's generally better if you don't require the enemy to use the skill on the player and especially not on the blue mage specifically. That makes it feel too AI-dependent, and if the skills don't tend to be wildly useful, it'd feel like an unproductive hassle, especially when you can pretty much always just count on other party members to be just as (and usually even more) effective without that time sink

I've always liked the idea of instead of copying enemy skills, blue mages instead can learn unique skills based on/inspired by enemies or enemy types, tailor-fitted to whatever their specific mechanics are. Enemy skills don't tend to be very flashy on their own, and they also don't tend to be any more useful than your other party members' skills, so it just feels like you have to put in work to make a mediocre to decent party member. Plus, I think a lotta games naturally necessitate player skills to have different applications than enemy skills and vice versa. I think it's cooler instead if they get very unique skills.

So instead of copying a Fire spell from a Fire Elemental, you might instead get a skill that lets you make all of your abilities Fire element for a few turns, or maybe you can give your party a state that absorbs Fire damage for a few turns. Maybe in your lore there's some lost ancient sword fighting style, and using the blue mage's ability on specific sword-using enemies and/or bosses would allow them to learn those techniques and rebuild that style, which would be super powerful or have unique properties your other sword-wielding party members wouldn't have access to

It'd also be better to tailor it specifically to that character and what makes them unique, obviously. Like in the first game I made, one of the characters is an android and he has a copy ability, so all of his copy skills become mechanical functions that he has, like bullets and rockets and whatever, even though none of the enemies he fights are androids. If your blue mage is a beastmaster or something, their copy abilities could be summons, if they're a hand-to-hand fighter, maybe they get different stances and martial arts techniques, if they're a shapeshifter then maybe they get new transformations, etc

Basically, just keep in mind that blue mages are characters who require extra work from the player compared to other party members, so that extra work, if taken on, should probably be rewarded with more utility and/or "better" skills compared to some of their peers, who benefit more from a steady and reliable progression in comparison. It'd also help to stylize them a bit so that the player doesn't just have this character who uses enemy skills that they've seen a hundred times and feels like the most dry and bland member of the party

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Latest member to OcRam -plugin suite: OcRam_Layers! Optimized parallax layers (for parallax mapping?) + dynamic layers which can be used in title-, battle and map scenes!
People convinced me to use my old graphics for this new project, i guess i can't run away from blender just yet. https://gyazo.com/2a105847c042bb78c6d4919ec1308660
10/24 done :3 Maybe I can finish 11 and 12 this weekend^^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ninnaeis