Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I am using my own animated water tiles which I have placed in the first position on the A1 tiles sheet (referred to as Block A in the tileset specifications of the Help file).  The tile set of which this forms a part is an Area type, not a Field type, as it is a large lake, not a sea or an ocean.  However, I still want to be able to use the boat so that my party can reach various islands in the lake.

I have 2 problems.

1) My party can enter the boat, but cannot leave it, even at the spot from which they started.

2) The boat will turn in all directions, but will not move through the water, even though the water tiles are in the position designated for boat movement.

Any ideas about what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is the water tile impassable to the player? The boat can only move on tiles that are impassable to the player.

You can best remember it this way: If the water is shallow enough to allow the player to walk on it, then it's too shallow to allow boat or ship movement.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The tile set of which this forms a part is an Area type, not a Field type, as it is a large lake, not a sea or an ocean.
Does putting it as field type solve the issue? If it does, then does setting it to field type causes some other problems as to why you must use Area type instead?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Andar

The water is impassable, and that would not affect the getting on and off. (I think)

@Engr.Adiktuzmiko

I was under the impression that setting ordinary tiles to Field caused other A tiles to behave differently.  Is that not the case?

EDIT

Just tried setting it to Field, and the boat still doesn't move.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Please post a screenshot of your tileset definition and the map. If the boat can turn but not move, it is an passability issue - and the same is for getting off. The get off vehicle can only work if the tile to the front of the vehicle allows the player to stand on.

It definately looks as if something messed up your passability - if not a wrong setting in the tileset, perhaps a script?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Here is a small section of the lake (it's a big map) showing where the boat starts.  The player can enter the boat either from the land or the little jetty.

Lakeside_zpsxvmugki3.png

And here is a screen shot of the tile set,

Water%20tile%20set_zpsnojchtrr.png

The only script I have which affects passability is Neon Black's Terrain tags script which uses certain regions.  No regions have been set for this map, and i have no passability issues on other maps.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't imagine you'd be able to get off the boat from that spot anyway, as the two tiles you would step onto are impassable in the direction towards the boat. Put your boat at the end of the jetty and see if you can get on/off?

Is the top left tile on your B tab set to a star? I'm not sure if the vehicles even look at that, but if you were on land and not water, that'd be the first suggestion people would make.

If none of that works, set the water tile to passable by the player and see if you can walk on it. Just as a test.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I've never had any problem getting on the boat, it's getting off that's the problem, it just doesn't happen.  But I moved the boat, just in case.  Still can get on, but not off.

Top left on B is definitely a star, it was the first thing I checked, and I've just checked it again.

I set the water to passable, and the players could walk all over it, no problem.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You're sure there are no other scripts? One more thing you could try is putting this map into a brand new project with no other changes but the terrain tag script and the vehicle sprite. If it works, the problem is likely with your tileset or your scripts.

At this point I would probably start putting debugging commands into the script to see what it's trying to do and where it's failing.

If you're comfortable with it, I would ask you to create a copy of your project and delete all maps but this one, and if its easy, all resources but those used on the map, then zip up your project and send to me. I could spend a couple of hours going through it looking for the cause ... if nobody else can think of any other reason that this would happen.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'd like to take you up on your offer to have a look at it.  I'll strip out all that I can, upload it and when it's ready, pm you with the link.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It is the Effectus anti-lag main script. Disable that script (and the mouse patch that goes with it) and it all works fine.

I suspect it's got something to do with @ms_effectus_pass_table and the passable? method rewrite.

It's also not a conflict between that script and any others - if you copy your Main script and paste it just below the Effectus ones (which means none of the scripts below will be enabled), the problem still happens. It's JUST something going on in that script.

Reactions: Kes

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thank you so much for tracking this down.  I'll get on to Source and see if he can sort this out, because it's a pretty serious bug.

I think, therefore, that this thread can be closed.

Once more, a million thanks for your help.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll leave it open in case someone else can figure out the solution.

It may be as simple as saying "if you're in a vehicle, just run the original passage? method, otherwise use the new one".

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I sincerely hope no one does say that to me, because I wouldn't know what they were talking about!

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
lol - let me rephrase that ...

It could be as simple as making the script say ...

;)

♥SOURCE♥

Too sexy for your party.
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
This has just been fixed, an update is coming today (and already sent ksjp17 a fix) :)

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Finished switching to a new PC. Now I could potentially start working at projects or plugins again if I feel the motivation to do so.
If you don't read the news, you are uninformed. If you read the news, you are misinformed.
Custom slip rates and custom ailment durations for enemies really opens up the floodgates for status effect use. I can have Poison and Time Stop affect bosses without it breaking their balance! Finally, a healthy middle ground.

(Especially after I cooked up a thing that prevents you from re-applying deadly states more than once in specific occassions.)
Voice.gif
The Voice... They usually show up to talk to you about leaving your mark on the world, which is one of the major themes of my game... How will you be remembered by society.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graviti