Bobstah's Battle Commands Customization v2.2.1 - Updated 05/17/2017

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by Bobstah, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Bobstah

Bobstah Pluginstah Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Introduction
    This plugin allows you to add skills, items, and a combined skill menu option to an Actor's and Class' battle commands, as well as reordering existing commands to meet your liking. You can also have Weapons, Armor, and States apply new commands!

Instead of specifying a static ID, icon, or name, you can run a Javascript code snippet! Surround your code with $().

Features
    - Combine multiple skill types into a single Skill menu (I.E. Black Magic and White Magic into a single menu called Magic)

- Show only the first occurring or last occurring skill in a set of skill IDs! (Why show Steal when you have Mug?)

- Show only the first occurring or last occurring item in a set of item IDs! (Why show potions when you can show HiPotions?)

- Shows the appropriate icons for attack, guard, specific skills, and specific items.

- Add a custom icon to Skill Types and the Items menu!

- Overwrite the default icon with anything of your choosing!

- Overwrite the command name of any skill or item to your choosing!

- If a command is sealed or unusable, hide it instead of graying it out!

- Class-based battle command customization.

- Actor-based battle command customization that integrates with the class-based customization options above.

- Weapon, Armor, and State battle commands that can be used with an Actor or Class!

- Use Eval to customize each battle command even further!

How to Use
    Add the plugin in your game and view the help information. It describes the notetags and provides the recommended usage, which I've pasted below. Also be sure to review the parameters as of version 1.3.

Set only actor-specific commands (maybe a skill, skilltype, stypes, etc) on each actor. Set the general attack, skill, item, etc commands on each class, then insert ActorCmd where you want the actor's commands to show up.

Please read the recently-overhauled Plugin Help inside of RPGMV for information on notetags!

Plugin
    Get it here - File name is CASE SENSITIVE: BOB_BattleCommandList.js

Dependencies
    None

FAQ

1. The help window parameters don't seem to do anything and the help window sticks after combat. Help!

Make sure the plugin Javascript file is named BOB_BattleCommandList.js - CASE SENSITIVE!

2. It's not working after I set <Battle Commands> on an actor's note field. I didn't use any class <Battle Commands>.

This was a bug that was corrected by the most recent release. Please grab the updated script from the link above.

3. Skills aren't showing up in the battle commands menu after adding it to the actor or class!

Make sure the actor knows the skill, and that you have downloaded the most recent version of the plugin.

How do I use the stypes notetag?

If you wanted to combine skill types 1 and 2 into a single menu named Powers, it would look like this:
    stypes(Powers):1,2

5. What are the FirstSkill, LastSkill, FirstItem, and LastItem notetags?

The FirstSkill and Firstitem notetags will only display the first skill the actor has learned out of the skill IDs you provide or the first item the party owns out of the item IDs you provide. The LastSkill and LastItem will only display the last skill the actor has learned out of the skill IDs you provide or the last item the party owns out of the item IDs you provide.

Changelog

2.2 (05/15/2017) - Added Eval support to icons and command names. Added new icon support for currently equipped weapon. Merged contribution from waynee95 to support Yanfly Battle Equip command. Added BASIC skill cost support for MP and TP.

(10/26/2016) - Added VE Mix command support. Made STypes(CommandName) apply to the skills menu as well! (i.e. STypes(Magic):1,2 will show up as Magic under skills.)

2.0 (11/09/2015) - Added WeaponCmd, ArmorCmd, and StateCmd! Fixed a bug with the optional (CommandName) feature not working if a number was used. Fixed a bug where Attack, Guard, and Items would not have their names overwritten.

1.9.4 (11/05/2015) - Added a parameter to space Icons out from command text. See the Icon Padding parameter for more information.

1.9.3 (11/05/2015) - Fixed a bug with notetag parsing failing due to spacing and another bug causing skill types to always show disabled.

1.9.2 (11/04/2015) - Fixed a bug that would cause the game to crash if you were using any default commands (attack, skills, items, guard) without specifying options.

1.9.1 (11/04/2015) - Added a parameter to enable/disable drawing icons.

1.9 (11/04/2015) - Added support for drawing icons, icon overrides, and command renaming.

1.8 (11/02/2015 - Added the SType(CommandName):ID notetag. Read the help for more information.

1.7.1 (10/30/2015) - Fixed a few bugs relating to excess spacing and using long-form numbers (0003 instead of 3, etc)

1.7 (10/29/2015) - Added position parameters for the help window. This fixes compatibility issues with some battle plugins.

1.6.2 (10/29/2015) - Fixed a bug that caused skills to sometimes not display when using the FirstSkill and LastSkill notetag.

1.6.1 (10/28/2015) - Fixed a bug that caused the help window from 1.6 to become stuck on the screen.

1.6 (10/28/2015) - Added a new parameter and a help window for skills and items on the Battle Command menu.

1.5 (10/28/2015) - Corrected a crash bug. Added four new features (FirstSkill, LastSkill, FirstItem, LastItem).

1.4 (10/28/2015) - Added a new notetag, stypes, to support combining multiple skill types into a single skill menu. Also added a Custom Plugin system to allow additional plugins to use the Custom Battle Commands functionality.

1.3 (10/27/2015) - Added a parameter which controls when to display the default RPGMV battle commands. Previously, it was possible to encounter a set of circumstances (class had no commands, actor's battle commands had a single skill that was forgotten via events or scripts) that would display a blank battle menu.

1.2 (10/26/2015) - Plugin now checks skills granted by traits and those learned by the actor.

1.1 (10/25/2015) - Plugin now defaults to ActorCmd for a class if there are no battle commands set.

1.0 (10/23/2015) - Initial release.

Legal

Free to use in commercial and non-commercial projects with credit. A free copy of the finished game would be nice, but is not required.

Credit and Thanks
    - Bobstah

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    sb~, SOC, phamtruong1992 and 29 others like this.
  2. Portkey89

Portkey89 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hi, Bobstah!

I think I'm being a bit daft--if reading this correctly, the aim is to edit the actions available in battle on a class or actor basis, correct?  I'm pasting the command list I want in the Actor notetag, but a little confused where the ActorCmd would then go.  My aim here is to seal/remove the Attack and Guard options in battle, and restrict players to only using Skills and Items.  Does that make sense?  Am I misunderstanding the nature of this plugin?

Thanks in advance for your help!  Making plugins this soon for MV makes you an instant hero in my world!   :)

Bobstah likes this.
  3. Bobstah

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Edit: In the latest version available in the first post, if no battle commands are present at the class level, it will default to the actor's battle commands instead. The below post was written before that was the case, but I still consider it to be the best way to use the plugin, as it allows for the most customization.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

It looks for tags at the class level first, and will only use Actor commands if it finds ActorCmd in the class note field. If the character does not share a class with anyone else, you would do the following in the class note field:

<Battle Commands>

Skills

Items

</Battle Commands>

If the actor you want to restrict shares a class with others, AND if you want only that specific actor to be prevented from using attack and guard, then do this on the class note field:

<Battle Commands>

ActorCmd

</Battle Commands>

Then, fill in the following on the actor you want to have the attack and guard command sealed on:

<Battle Commands>

Skills

Items

</Battle Commands>

Then, fill in the following on the actor you want to be able to attack and guard that shares a class with the prior actor:

<Battle Commands>

Attack

Skills

Items

Guard

</Battle Commands>

Let me know if this wasn't clear and I'll try to explain it a bit better. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2015
  4. Zaibatsu

Zaibatsu Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Having trouble getting this plugin to work. Currently my aim is simply to remove Attack and Guard for a class whilst adding a Skill to replace Attack. 

Based on my understanding, this is how I would go about it. 

In the Class Notes:

<Battle Commands>

Skill: 0003

Skills

Items

</Battle Commands>

Doesn't seem to work. I tried only having 'Skills' and 'Items' and that too failed to work. 

In the class I made sure to include the Skill to replace Attack, as well as the Skill Type for Skills. 

Could you please clarify how to go about this? Also, on the Instructions portion, you had:

1.  *   <Battle Commands>
    2.  *   Attack
    3.  *   Skills
    4.  *   Skill:ID
    5.  *   Item:ID
    6.  *   ActorCmd
    7.  *   Items
    8.  *   Guard
    9.  *   </Class Commands>

And yet the example above states I should end <Battle Commands> with </Battle Commands>. Is this a mistake?

Update:

So it seems having a SPACE after '<Battle Commands>' broke it all. Was the reason it wasn't working. It all seemed to work properly. Though unfortunately I still had to go through the 'Fight' submenu first. 

Exactly how do I skip that? According to the description this plugin should support that; "...without using sub-menus...". Or did I misunderstand it?

Chickenlump likes this.
  5. Bobstah

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    You should be ending <Battle Commands> with </Battle Commands>. I went through a few iterations of the script and forgot to update the instructions. My mistake!

I'll post an updated version to fix the extra space causing issues. Additionally, this plugin does not remove the pre-round menu that contains 'Fight' and 'Escape'. What I meant was having skills/items buried inside of the skill and item menus.

As an aside, Yanfly's Core and Battle Core remove the pre-round menu. I had them both enabled when testing this script and it worked fine, so I would recommend adding those above my plugin. :)

Edit: The updated plugin is linked in the first post now!

6. Portkey89

Portkey89 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks, Bobstah! This is AWESOME!

Bobstah likes this.
  7. pclaydon

pclaydon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    would it be possible to allow things like weapons/armour and skills to add commands (eg equipping a shield adds guard, a weapon adds attack and a skill like steal adds the steal skill command)?

8. Bobstah

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Attack would work as-is, just seal the attack skill on the actor and have a weapon remove the seal.If Guard is a skill (can't check currently), do the same thing.

If steal is a skill that you've added from another script, add it to the class or actor Battle Commands via skill:id. It will only show up if the actor has learned it.

Does this answer your question?

9. wrigty12

wrigty12 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    For some reason, when downloading this plugin (or even copying it and pasting it into a new .js file) My virus protection deletes it, saying it is a Trojan. Is there anyway to fix that?

10. kennysaurs

kennysaurs Amazing Person Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You can set it as an exception in your antivirus.

Bobstah likes this.
  11. wrigty12

wrigty12 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I did. I'm more curious though about why this was scanned to be a virus, where all other javascript files werent.

12. pclaydon

pclaydon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think so i'll have a look into it see if i understood it correctly

thank you for the suggestions

Bobstah likes this.
  13. DarkSlayerEX

DarkSlayerEX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm honestly having trouble getting it to show anything other than Items, Guard, and Attack..

I'm using

<Battle Commands>

Attack

Skills

Skill:13

Item:1

Items

Guard

</Battle Commands>

in my actor's notes box as a test, and it doesn't show anything other than those three...

Bobstah likes this.
  14. Bobstah

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Sorry that you're having trouble! To help troubleshoot, I created a new project with no other plugins and added my plugin:

[​IMG]

Here is a screenshot of Harold (I copied the Fire default skill to skill 13):

[​IMG]

Next, I made an event to teach the copied Fire! skill to Harold, give the party a single Potion (Item:1), and trigger a battle:

[​IMG]

Below is the completed result:

[​IMG]

Make sure your actor knows the skill or it will not show up in the list. Also, make sure you have the item in your inventory, or it too will not show up in the list. Does this answer your question?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2015
    Zaibatsu likes this.
  15. M.I.A.

M.I.A. Goofball Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    hmm.. Im not sure if i am having noob problems.. but when i follow the link and download the plug in, put it in the plug in folder, and try to open it in the plug in manager.. it appears blank in the plug in manager in mv. Am I doing something wrong?..

16. DarkSlayerEX

First Language:
    English
    Apparently placing the skills into the actor's traits section doesn't actually work.. Adding them to the character through an actual event worked... whaa...

Well in any case, I can now confirm it works. However, It might be a good idea to try testing it through the class/actor traits options to see if you have the same issues.

Edit: Hah! Having everyone use the escape skill manually caused my game to lock up once everyone was gone. Hilarious. (was using an ATB plugin that removes the main Attack/Flee menu)

17. Bobstah

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's probably Anti-Virus blanking the script out. When I download from pastebin, I don't have this issue.

Apparently, when you grant a skill via an actor's trait, they don't "learn" it. I've updated the script to version 1.2, which checks an actor's skills granted by traits manually. This fixes the issue you were experiencing. Please download the updated version. :)

As for the problem with the escape command, it wasn't mean to be used on an actor-basis. I would recommend creating a new skill that uses common events to remove an actor from battle if they successfully escape or find a plugin that does this for you. :)

18. DarkSlayerEX

First Language:
    English
    I appreciate the quick response for that issue. It is really appreciated. Thank you.

As for the Escape command, I only tried doing so because someone else on here had mentioned trying to throw certain other thigns in, and figured I'd do escape, and report it to people here. I was not expecting it to work, but It was hilarious regardless.

Edit: Also, just a little thing I noticed about your pastebin link.. I'm not sure if it's an issue with your link specifically, but it has been acting a little strangely.. When I save the file, it's default filename is actually saved as bob_battlecommandscustom.js.js even though it only displays 1 .js in the save file window..

Originally when I applied the plugin, it would just error at the very beginning, and It took me a while to figure out it had 2 .js in the file name.. lol  It's not really a big deal, but I figure other people might run into the issue too.

Chickenlump likes this.
  19. Bobstah

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I corrected this. Apparently when you click download, it sets the file name to be "Paste Name".SyntaxType, which would've been BOB_BattleCommandsCustom.js.js. :)

20. Bobstah

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Version 1.3 available!

I added a parameter called Force Default Commands. When set to the default (1), the RPGMV built-in command list is shown if no class commands are found. If set to 0, the actor's commands are used in-lieu of the class' commands. If no actor commands are found, it will show the default RPGMV battle commands.

You should use 0 if you plan to ensure that every class/actor will have available battle commands at all times.

You should use 1 if you want to show the default commands when you have not customized a class, preventing a blank combat menu.