Border of her Heart

Discussion in 'Commercial Games' started by Tuomo L, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

https://tuomol.itch.io/border-of-her-heart

Release date

February 14th

Price 0,99$

About

Border of her Heart is a VN about a town that recently had plague outbreak. With the quarantine lifted, you are tasked to work on the morning shift at the border and choosing who gets to enter or not. Because of the recent epidemic, you are short on both supplies and manpowers and have to pick only the best candidate and have to make choices who you let in. But beware, as not everyone is who they claim...

This is a game where you guard the border gate that leads to a town. People want to enter, some want to leave. You can only let in two people each day but some special events may change this. After each work day, you can socialize with the people that are inside and pursue relationships. Some of the characters have multiple outfits.

Screenshots

Characters

There are multiple characters in the game, here's few ones you'll meet

Angmar

[​IMG]

Angmar is a hunter who wants to become a propper archer. She wants to show that she's more than just a pretty body and face and wants to make the difference. She'll mostly be patroling the perimeters in the morning and you can visit the tavern together with her and can pursue romantic interest with her.

Wren Caligari

[​IMG]

Wren Caligari is a mysterious woman who likes to tempt the palace guard.

Yggraine Hersys

[​IMG]

Yggraine is an elf with a very important message. She's a diplomat and the message is very urgent, so it cannot wait. She is also a girlfriend option.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    Puruiro and Starmage like this.
  2. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I received over 126 auditions for the Border of Heart voice acting. Thank you all who auditioned.

3. Churro

Churro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow over 126 are many!! Congratulations for the great interest in your game :)!

4. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I added screenshots, with the updated visual and light effects.

5. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Who drew the portrait art? They look beautiful!

6. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Degica.

7. Bryy Miller

Bryy Miller Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That video convinced me to switch to VNM for our next (second to last?) VN.

8. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  9. Bryy Miller

Bryy Miller Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That is also good to know.

10. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Our game has been released on Steam!!

11. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I gotta admit, the idea for this game has be intrigued, so I decided to get it. I'll see if I can play it soon and let you know what I think.

Tuomo L likes this.
  12. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    101.png

Audio

• Lowered BGM when going to see Crystal with Thiphania

Bugfix

• Stephen no longer thinks it's great that you don't keep his secret during certain days
    • Fixed a potential loop with Stephen on a certain day, on certain conditions
    • Trying to cheat your girlfriend with Angmar caused the game to go into loop, this has been fixed
    • Sleeping with some girlfriends on certain day, caused wrong day cycle change, this has been fixed
    • In credits there was a long delay for name change for Mehenilda, this has been fixed
    • Some special endings caused background to appear in the end credits, this has been fixed
    • Going to destroy the crystal with Mehenilda caused her CG to go weird, this has been fixed

13. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    102.png

Audio

• Lowered volume of the themesong of Angmar if denying her entrance twice and meeting her on third day
    • Added Narator line into Helewisa kissing

Bugfix

• You were able to initiate the same dialogue twice with specific order of actions, this has been fixed
    • Meeting Stephen after crystal was destroyed on 4th day caused weird issues, this has been fixed
    • Stephen was invisible if meeting him on certain days, this has been fixed
    • Reimund was missing under specific conditions, this has been fixed
    • Trying to cheat a girlfriend with Helewisa caused strange errors, this has been fixed
    • Angmar was missing her audio lines on a certain day, this has been fixed
    • Helewisa was missing her audio lines on a certain day, this has been fixed
    • Music credits were displayed twice during credits, this has been fixed
    • Yggraine voice actress was missing in credits, this has been fixed

Graphics

• Added a free HD DLC to increase base game resolution to 1920x1080

14. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    103.png

Bugfix

• Trying to cheat your gf with Angmar caused you to be placed in a loop, this has been fixed
    • Issues caused by saving during certain specific moments have been fixed
    • Auto/Skip button non functional after some loading cases has been fixed

Grammar

• Narrator now has a propper spelling

HD DLC

• Tillie performing acrobatic feat caused her position to go wrong, this has been fixed

Linux

• Added Linux support

Performance

• Several performance tweaks

15. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    110.png

Achievements

• Game now features achievements

Audio

• Missing narration during battle inside house has been added
    • All the spoken dialogue has been enhanced and ran through various optimizations for better sound clarity and quality

Bugfix

• Memory leak issues when loading game due to engine have been resolved
    • Problems occuring from loading game due to engine have been resolved
    • Problems with sliders due to engine have been resolved
    • Declining cheating with Helewisa while having nightshift event occur caused Helewisa's sprite to remain on screen, this has been fixed
    Gameplay

• Getting any of the endings now no longer exits the game but rather, boots you to the title screen

Graphics

• Helewisa's position was off when going into date with her with HD DLC enabled, she's now positioned correctly

Performance

• Numerous small performance tweaks

Transitions

• Changed scene transition menthods to reduce load times when returning back to tent after each day

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  16. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    111.png

Achievement

• New Achievement "It's horrible!", City destroyed by Plague

Bugfix

• Thiphania was sometimes off center with HD DLC enabled, this has been fixed
    • Cheating someone with Helewisa had her sprite remain on screen, this has been fixed
    • If Angmar received plague, her position was off center with HD DLC enabled, this has been fixed
    • Angmar telling about plague didn't play a song, this has been fixed
    • [Object Object] appearing as a choice under very specific conditions has been fixed

Optimizations

• Reduced load times

17. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    10000.png
    Border of her Heart has sold more than 10,000 units on Steam alone in little less than 10 months!

18. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    112.png

Achievement

• "Meet her at Death Halls" Angmar dies from plague
    • "The strongest of us falls" Helewisa dies from plague

Bugfix

• [Object Object] Appearing on 2nd day evening has been fixed

Load times

• Reduced load times at some places where it was needed, making load times only at certain intervals only

Optimizations

• Removed file that caused slower load times
    • Optimized graphical elements to help load them faster

19. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello @Tuomo L I bought and played through your game. So here's a short review/bug report.

The game wasn't great, it wasn't good, it wasn't really bad either. It was... Okay. Don't regret buying, but don't really want to replay it either. Part of that is because of the insane loading times between each cut-scene. Not sure if that is a combination of VN Maker and my old laptop, or something else. I have to admit, my laptop could very well be the culprit because it lacks a "real" graphics card and only have one of those integrated "video cards". But on the other hand, I've managed to play far fancier games on this same laptop before.

Regarding those load screens, just to telegraph how bad of an experience it really was. Out of the ~33min my first play-through took me, I think I spent 7-8 min watching a black screen in-between the scenes. For a VN that's kind of terrible. And I've never had so bad performance on a visual novel before (even on this old piece of junk computer).

Then there's the text/voice syncing, it's not very good. I do appreciate that the entire game is voiced though. Nice effort for a "quick-game" that I assume is the by-product of you testing out this new engine.

Lastly, there's the choice buttons. Sometimes I have to click them two or even three times because my mouse click didn't register. Kind of annoying and if it wasn't for the fact that this VN is super short, that would have probably made me drop the game at some point. Is it because you messed up the "clickable zones" or a built in problem with VN Maker? I dunno. Again, might also have to do with how under-powered my laptop is (but come on, it's a visual novel!).

In any case, my number one reason for buying the game was to see what someone else had made with VN Maker and how they had put the VNM's "RTP" to use. And as I said to begin with, the game is fairly priced (read: cheap) so no hard feelings.

I'm curious as of what your lasting experience is after making this game in VN Maker, putting it on STEAM and updating the game (following along the updates made to the engine I assume)? I read above that when you made this game you couldn't recommend the engine, has that changed?

20. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My experience with VNM making this game was very negative. I had tons of problems, the biggest problem was that it didn't save my progress even though I had saved and clicked the save icon and CTRL+S and I had lost over 16 hours worth of content which was a more epic ending. Even though that was the most major one, I had many other issues like the engine freezing, crashes and sometimes general weirdness that to this day I don't understand why eaxct same exit command to certain characters, produces entirely different results. Border of her Heart was sadly vastly inferior product due to having been made on VNM and I just can't shake the feeling off that using VNM, it really hurt the game's potential and the scope.

VNM is very badly optimized performance wise and I've been doing my best to try and fix it because on Mobile, it causes mobile phones to run out of memory and crash the app during scene transitions which see the increase of the memory consumption. I'm currently waiting for them to fix this memory leak issue that I reported back months ago, it's the only thing that has delayed me from porting it to more places.

I apologize for the issues, almost all of them are sadly due to me making this on VNM and not another engine. So, I really won't be using it for anything really again unless the engine gets a really massive overhaul (which from talkign to the devs, is probably actually very likely) but even then, I'm kind of leaning more towards Unity since VNM doesn't support console exporting. I like the image hotspot feature a lot though and it would be really nice way of setting up complex and nice menus, but overall it's the best thing about VNM from my experience.

It's way overpriced for what it does, for that price you can get far superior Visual Novel Maker engines out there.

Parallax Panda likes this.