Grayborders

Maniac, Lunatic, Crazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
You're doing such a great job with Border! Almost everyday I'm checking it out just to see if something new has arrived. This topic should have a lot more comments.

Please, keep up with the great work. You can be sure that you have a fan here ^=^

My best regards,

Alrian.
:) Thank you so much! I am trying my best with the time i have, right now my aim is to touch upon al prts of the game and get rid of rtp in all areas, i want the game to feel far from an rpg maker game, ppl diss this engine but i think its just a tool, and many many things can be done with this one.

In the end the over-world sprites of humans should be the main thing that resembles an rpg maker game, i am in the process of hand painting a parallaxed world map, one that looks more like a satellite photo.

I`m really glad you like it, and i`m defiantly will update every time there is something to show!

Grayborders

Maniac, Lunatic, Crazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
Thank you for that! :) I`m trying to make the demo so that it showcases that i`m planing to not use any rtp aside from a few battle animations, and maybe a few sounds, I`m in the process of hand painting the worldmap to use as a parallax (that unfortunately looses the mode7 :S ) But i have already animated a few new battle anims that are hand drawn.

About weapons, hell almost every time i bring it up ppl get mad and angry because their favorite RPG games are almost all doing this, from whips to volleyballs, to wrist mounted dog launchers.

I love these games and some have really good plot and worlds, but it just takes me out a little bit from the game, when i have to ask wth is going on, when i`m fighting a 30 stories tall dragon with some kitchenware...

OFC fantasy dont have to be realistic, but logic is still appreciated.

Thanks again for the support, it gets me going and recharges me to do more!

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
Thank you for that! :) I`m trying to make the demo so that it showcases that i`m planing to not use any rtp aside from a few battle animations, and maybe a few sounds, I`m in the process of hand painting the worldmap to use as a parallax (that unfortunately looses the mode7 :S ) But i have already animated a few new battle anims that are hand drawn.

About weapons, hell almost every time i bring it up ppl get mad and angry because their favorite RPG games are almost all doing this, from whips to volleyballs, to wrist mounted dog launchers.

I love these games and some have really good plot and worlds, but it just takes me out a little bit from the game, when i have to ask wth is going on, when i`m fighting a 30 stories tall dragon with some kitchenware...

OFC fantasy dont have to be realistic, but logic is still appreciated.

Thanks again for the support, it gets me going and recharges me to do more!
it's okay to lose mode7. since in my opinion your screenshot with mode7 is a bit strange... (not looking too good... no hard feeling :D ...).

yeah we should not forget logic. :D .

by adding logic to the story/content... we are not FORCING the audience with our concept. but rather make them accept it by itself. :D .

about weapon... FROZEN TUNA (dark cloud)... :D . imagine if fighting with frozen tuna and the beast chew it and said thank you :D .

also... FAN... although the fan is made of steel and coated with poison... it would be hard to gain enough momentum for penetrating the monster skin.. you will need super strong grip so it won't bounced away...

Grayborders

Maniac, Lunatic, Crazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
So i noticed i totally forgot to link the comic version of Border

Its the first 3 chapters which is about 10% of the first game :p

You can read it here: http://www.mangamagazine.net/read-manga/Border-Chapter-1-Sealed-past/3442/0/0?lang=en

The first portion of the game will be very close to what you can read here, with a few adjustments to fit the media better.

From this much you might pick up a bit more on the world and the kind of storytelling i am going for, although please keep in mind i will use very different methods with the game since i can make parts playable, and i can add details i had no time to in the comic.

Think of this as a tiny demo of the world Border is set in.

Grayborders

Maniac, Lunatic, Crazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
it's okay to lose mode7. since in my opinion your screenshot with mode7 is a bit strange... (not looking too good... no hard feeling :D ...).

yeah we should not forget logic. :D .

by adding logic to the story/content... we are not FORCING the audience with our concept. but rather make them accept it by itself. :D .

about weapon... FROZEN TUNA (dark cloud)... :D . imagine if fighting with frozen tuna and the beast chew it and said thank you :D .

also... FAN... although the fan is made of steel and coated with poison... it would be hard to gain enough momentum for penetrating the monster skin.. you will need super strong grip so it won't bounced away...
Yeah mode 7 will be used but for a very different thing, a certain type of underground laboratory, I want to emphasise the difference between nature, cities and high tech areas, and mode 7 might work well there, BUT first i will test it and see if it works out as i planned. 

Magic is often used as a deus ex machina, which is a bit of an easy way to get around stuff in  stories, in Border gods are not omnipotent and magic is not a serve all functions tool, magic have laws and rules, and i hope it will help to immerse the player in the world not to mention a game is interactive and the player can chose if they want to know about the rules or not so if done well it wont ruin the pacing.

Yeah thing is most games are made with a big team of ppl and the character designers make stuff not knowing what the enemies might end up being, that may be 1 reason it can be forgiven, but than again that's what the directors are for...  

Grayborders

Maniac, Lunatic, Crazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
Not much to show off today, I was working on redoing the whole forest area for the demo, whereby I eliminated the use of overlays saving 30MB space and making loading much much faster.

Now that I know how to set up separate sets of tilesets for each individual map, suddenly a lot of my problems have been resolved!

For starters I decided to add another area to the demo, one i though i wont be able to.

An underground Core base where the demo will start. I`m currently drawing my own tiles, and editing the hell out of existing ones.

As soon as i finish the map i `ill show it off, Really happy how stuff like the human test tubes look, and they are as creepy as they should be :)

Music wise my friend have only 2 songs left to do for the demo, which is good since i want to get the demo out by the end of this month!

Oh and i got rid of the Mode 7 entirely, its no god enough, if it had the ability to produce side walls i`d use it, but as it stands it feels like a gimmick or world map only, but since i hand paint the world map i cant use it.

Grayborders

Maniac, Lunatic, Crazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
Here is the tilesets i`m working on, some edits of existing tiles by: Arius, Icy, and DM.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/8gOTpnH.png[/IMG]

So what do you think? XD

Kyuukon

主人公
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You really put a lot of work into it! Kudos to you man! This looks great!

I recently started my own project and, while it's nothing compared to yours, I feel like I'll never get it done... but when you look at things like this you realize it's all worth it in the end xD

I'm pretty sure you already said this but: Are you going commercial on the full game?

Last edited by a moderator:

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh my, those test tubes are so (beautifully) hard to look at with the human inside !

Grayborders

Maniac, Lunatic, Crazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
You really put a lot of work into it! Kudos to you man! This looks great!

I recently started my own project and, while it's nothing compared to yours, I feel like I'll never get it done... but when you look at things like this you realize it's all worth it in the end xD

I'm pretty sure you already said this but: Are you going commercial on the full game?

Thanks a lot, first of all if you have passion about your game you will reach any level you want, Border is my heart and soul and i made so many attempts to make it a comic/book etc but always had the game in mind. Point is just love what you are doing and try to have fun doing it! I personally never felt better than when i`m testing my own game, and see it in motion, for me it worths every second of work spent on it.

About that, i am planning to go commercial, if i do there will be a kickstarter to pay for my musician, scripts, and tilesets(even if i edit them it still counts as fully used :p and the last thing i want is not to pay credit to this community!) and honestly so i can spend more time on the game, i want to go down from my current full time work to a part time one, since right now i have about 2-3h each night at best to work on the game.

If the kickstarter works i can hopefully release this year(or early next) and the maximum price would be about 5-7£.

Thanks again for the kind words :)

I`m doing my very best to make this happen the way it should.

Grayborders

Maniac, Lunatic, Crazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
Oh my, those test tubes are so (beautifully) hard to look at with the human inside !
Haha good! first i drew them with normal proportion humans, but than i realized it wont fit with the chibi-esc sprites, so i put them in to my horror they made it look even creepier :D

All good though the story have some very very dark themes, trying to hold myself from spoiling but it is a very dark and messed up world they live in!

Aurorain

Overlord Illumise
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Terrific stuff, Gray! On both the world map(holy monkeytrumpets; It's huge, yet also really pretty!), and those tileset edits..I salute you~ ;) :rock-right:

Grayborders

Maniac, Lunatic, Crazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
Terrific stuff, Gray! On both the world map(holy monkeytrumpets; It's huge, yet also really pretty!), and those tileset edits..I salute you~ ;) :rock-right:
The map is being remade as a hand painted parallax as we speak :D

Grayborders

Maniac, Lunatic, Crazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
Another 2 busts, as i said all emotions will have actually different poses not juts different faces, Plus all costumes will have to be drawn too :D

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/I7l7OZK.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/dHby2My.png[/IMG]

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Are you drawing the busts all by yourself ?

I wish I could do the same...

By the way, I read your introductory manga. That's high quality stuff you have here.

I don't know how the game will be, but I'm hooked !

Grayborders

Maniac, Lunatic, Crazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
Are you drawing the busts all by yourself ?

I wish I could do the same...

By the way, I read your introductory manga. That's high quality stuff you have here.

I don't know how the game will be, but I'm hooked !
Yup i`m drawing everything myself, Thanks!

I`m trying my best to make the game fun, deep and HUGE, it will take a lot of time, but hey i never had so much joy doing anything as am now!

Grayborders

Maniac, Lunatic, Crazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
Hi there, here is 2 more busts, i`m trying to establish a system to make them quickly, and get as many done as possible for the demo!

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/SG75LyV.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/u6QOzFg.png[/IMG]

Right now i`m integrating a few scripts from the wonderful Moghunter to create a decent menu system, and in case the Battle system UI I commissioned is not done by then, i`ll have to customize Mughunters battle UI to suit my needs.

Grayborders

Maniac, Lunatic, Crazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
Some updates of what i was up to this weekend, didn't get enough done :S

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/q97Im80.png[/IMG]

^Title screen

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/uhVS53H.png[/IMG]

^map name display (edited touhou map script)

And some mapping i was getting done (already outdated lol)

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/f2Mduru.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/rArfi2W.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/cnZr5L7.png[/IMG]

And some battlebacks

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/q2UPL4T.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Z2KRY46.jpg[/IMG]

Only have 2 whole weekends before the demo release, and already i know i will have to cut it a bit short :S

Last edited by a moderator:

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you can, take your time before releasing your demo.

First impression is important :)

Grayborders

Maniac, Lunatic, Crazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
If you can, take your time before releasing your demo.

First impression is important :)
I know, but i am trying to keep a sort of scheduled to assure i`l be able to make the game before i grow old :D the demo will be "short" 2 areas and 3 intermediate scene areas. It will only show off two races, demon and human, i`m planing to make another demo later on (months later).

It obviously wont release half baked :)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

It's a Spanish devlog don't get scared!.
Just read the forum rules just for kicks and rule 14 reminds me of this:
150.jpg
I'm in the process of converting all locks and intimidate/persuade dialogue options into D20 DC based success/fail (modified by player skill). Before, it required a certain flat amount you had to meet, but with rolls, it offers more freedom. For instance, you can repeatedly try to unlock a door instead of just not meeting the requirement to unlock it.
Since we get very close: If you want to enjoy the advent calendar as it is intended, wait til your date and the day in the URL line up, so you have the final day on actual christmas and not the day before... time zones ;3
1638170340913.png
Crossover Inn is getting very crowded, and I love it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santii