Boss Battle Build Bout! Sep 13th-Oct 4th!

RPGMakerWeb

Admin
Admin
Reaction score
First Language
RPG Maker
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
BossBattleBuildBoutRMW_Blog-Header_en.png

The Obsidian Dragon is invading the multiverse! From the deep abyss, it has found a way to invade every reality at once, and it is up to you to craft the boss battle of YOUR own reality in the Boss Battle Build Bout!​

With character classes determined by RPG Maker fans on twitter, your heroes will take on the Obsidian Dragon (created by RPG Maker Artist Michael Rookard! Check out all of his amazing packs on the Degica Shop!) in a boss battle of your design!

All Times Listed in PDT

September 13th, 2:00PM - September 14th, 1:59PM First Hero Poll
September 14th, 2:00PM - September 15th, 1:59PM Second Hero Poll
September 15th, 2:00PM - September 16th, 1:59PM Third Hero Poll

September 16th, 2:00PM - October 4th, 11:59PM Make Your Battle!

October 5th, 1:00PM - October 10th, 1:00PM - Fan Voting

Winners Announced: October 11th, 2:00PM

●Details●

The Obsidian Dragon comes from beyond the edge of time and space. They exist in all realities and none. And he has finally broken free. Their incarnations have appeared in every dimension! Each incarnation has their own powers, sometimes similar, sometimes wildly different, but they always look the same.

obsidian-dragon.png

In each reality, a group of four heroes, slightly different, but in many ways the same, rise to battle the fearsome Dragon.

In this contest you will have a little over two weeks to fashion a single boss battle against the Obsidian Dragon of your reality. Build your heroes, create the Obsidian Dragon incarnation, and submit it to the contest to win!

Linked in the rules will be a contest project template that will house the art for the Obsidian Dragon, with most other things removed to keep the file size down. Add what you need, your heroes, the battle music, plugins, etc. and design away!

From September 13th through September 15th, polls will go out on the official @RPGMakerWeb Twitter to determine the first 3 heroes classes. Your 4th Hero can be anything you can imagine!

There will be two parts of judging. The first will be determined by the Komodo team as we play through all the entries. We will be looking for the boss battles we think are the most mechanically interesting. Well balanced, clever mechanics, etc.

There will also be a fan favorite vote! Those voting can use whatever criteria they want to determine their favorite.

●Boss Battle Build Bout Participation Prize●
A New Event Badge
$5 Degica Shop Gift Code

●For Winners●
Final Boss (Komodo Choice): $50 Degica Gift Shop Code, Post Game Boss Badge
That One Boss (Fan Choice): $50 Degica Gift Shop Code, That One Boss Badge

●Rules●
To be valid your entry must obey the following rules!

• Your boss battle must be made from the template project found at the end of these rules.
  • Only add the resources you need to the template project
  • Your boss battle must be beatable within a 10 minute time limit for an average player. If you are able to beat it in 8 minutes, it will probably take someone who doesn’t know the mechanics much longer!
  • You may not include dialogue or tutorial text in your project. (Skill and Item descriptions are allowed)
  • Your first 3 heroes must be the classes determined by the hero polls. Your 4th hero can be any class you want. How you interpret these classes' abilities is up to you.
  • You must use the battler included in the Template as your boss. How you interpret it’s abilities is up to you.
  • You may use any materials (plugins, art, music, etc) that you have the legal right to use in a commercial project.
  • Include a list of credits for any materials used as an additional txt file (may be included at end of boss battle in project as well)

●How to submit●

To submit an entry, link it in the submission thread, linked below.

●Terms and Conditions●
  • You may use resources and DLC sold in the RPG Maker Web store or via Steam.
  • You may only use user-created resources that are available for commercial use. Proper copyrights and/or credits must be included in the entry.
  • You can use your own resources, but you must include copyrights and/or credits.
  • You may not create a boss battle that infringes on third party copyright or trademarks.
  • You reserve the right to delete your entry even if it has already been posted
  • You may edit your work and/or the description after posting up to the entry deadline (we may contact you for confirmation if the boss battle has changed significantly since the original posting).
  • Submissions including adult materials such as extreme violence and/or nudity will not be accepted.
  • Only one qualifying entry per person is allowed.
  • By submitting your boss battle, you agree to allow us to publish your entries with credits on our social media, youtube, and other locations for advertisement purposes.
  • If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to leave a comment!

Last edited:

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan (More than ever)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Question:

#1 Is this MZ only or can you utilize MV (or any other engine for that matter) aswell?

#2 As I understand it, we HAVE to make this Obsidian Dragon (e.g. the battler graphic within the template) the boss right?
-> However, are we allowed to integrate "minions" to the battle (like the dragon summoning minions)?

#3 When exactly is the deadline? Maybe I just missed something while reading, but I assume it's October 5th since the voting starts by then?

#4 Since I have never participated in such an event, how do we submit the entry?
-> I mean that on a technical level, e.g. do we just put the project folder into a zip file and upload it somewhere?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Question:

#1 Is this MZ only or can you utilize MV (or any other engine for that matter) aswell?

#2 As I understand it, we HAVE to make this Obsidian Dragon (e.g. the battler graphic within the template) the boss right?
-> However, are we allowed to integrate "minions" to the battle (like the dragon summoning minions)?

#3 When exactly is the deadline? Maybe I just missed something while reading, but I assume it's October 5th since the voting starts by then?

#4 Since I have never participated in such an event, how do we submit the entry?
-> I mean that on a technical level, e.g. do we just put the project folder into a zip file and upload it somewhere?
1. Hmm. MV should be fine, I'll need to add an MV version of the template. Will do so before the submission period starts.
2. Yes, you must use the Obsidian Dragon as the main boss, but you can add minions if you wish.
3. Deadline is midnight October 4th Pacific time
4. There will be a submission thread that goes up on Thursday. Easiest way is to deploy and then upload somewhere to link the download. Many people use itch.io for this, but you can also upload to a place like Google Drive or similar.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm so happy to hear MV will also be allowed! This is the perfect jam for back-to-school/work; not that huge, plenty of work time, and short play length! Hope to see many people participate!

ScorchedGround

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Touchfuzzy

Another thing that came to my mind just now, concerning the "10 minute" playtime-rule.

Do we actually make the boss fight out to be challenging/difficult?

Or should this be more of a "cinematic" experience?

Because if you can actually lose the battle and have to start over, I could easily see the judges exceeding the time-limit, effectively rendering your submission invalid.

Or does each attempt count individually?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Touchfuzzy

Another thing that came to my mind just now, concerning the "10 minute" playtime-rule.

Do we actually make the boss fight out to be challenging/difficult?

Or should this be more of a "cinematic" experience?

Because if you can actually lose the battle and have to start over, I could easily see the judges exceeding the time-limit, effectively rendering your submission invalid.

Or does each attempt count individually?
The "needs to be able to beaten in 10 minutes" is for one playthrough. Honestly I would hope it would be well under that, as 10 minutes is a long boss fight.

The goal will be to make boss fights that are interesting rather than necessary challenging. Though the correct level of challenge is one way to make it interesting. For the in house judging, we are going to be looking a lot more at clever mechanics/interactions/patterns and stuff like that, rather than how nice it looks. Though overly challenging fights might be a detriment if it starts feeling unfair.

Also remember that you can't have tutorials for your mechanics outside of skill descriptions. So you need to be sure that the ideas of your combat system are fairly easy to grasp (even if getting all the cool interactions takes some thought).

We can't affect how the fan vote will go, so for that, we're just telling people to vote for what they think is best, using whatever criteria they want to use. So it's really up to you how you feel you should cater to that if the fan vote is your goal.

ScorchedGround

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Touchfuzzy
Yeah that's what I thought.

I just want to avoid making like a 6 minute fight just for the judges to lose and then step over the 10 minutes during the 2nd attempt to then declare my entry as invalid.

The major problem for me is that I don't know any of the judges or how well they will be doing playing my battle. So balancing might be an issue unless I deliberately make the battle a cakewalk.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@ScorchedGround Well I know two of the people who will be doing the internal Komodo judging are me and @Archeia who are both SMT fans. So a little bit of challenge is probably not a bad thing :).

Warpmind

Twisted Genius
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
For clarification, will the hero classes be added to the template as and when voting is completed, or will we be assumed to work off the chosen class names ourselves?

Kind of assuming the latter, but you know what they say about assuming, and I'd rather keep the donkey out of it.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
For clarification, will the hero classes be added to the template as and when voting is completed, or will we be assumed to work off the chosen class names ourselves?

Kind of assuming the latter, but you know what they say about assuming, and I'd rather keep the donkey out of it.
Latter.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You may not include dialogue
Wait so does that mean the boss can't talk to/taunt the players as they fight it? We just drop the 4 heroes into the fight where they silently exchange blows?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Wait so does that mean the boss can't talk to/taunt the players as they fight it? We just drop the 4 heroes into the fight where they silently exchange blows?
The intention is to make the boss fight itself the star rather than making it an extended cutscene with some attacks in there.

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A question about the "no dialogue/tutorial rule", I assume "indicator text" is fine (sort of like the classic "The monster is gathering power" warning of a big attack incoming.)

What about in-battle events or choices that have mechanical significance but don't take the form of skills? As an example, the way Persona 5 allowed you to send one party member to do something significant to the boss.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
A question about the "no dialogue/tutorial rule", I assume "indicator text" is fine (sort of like the classic "The monster is gathering power" warning of a big attack incoming.)

What about in-battle events or choices that have mechanical significance but don't take the form of skills? As an example, the way Persona 5 allowed you to send one party member to do something significant to the boss.
Both of these would be fine.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What about a choice dialog that lets the player choose the easy version vs the hard version? I enjoy making hard battles, but I've come to realize a lot of people don't like them, so I'd like to offer a choice to players. Tourist mode vs hardcore mode, and ideally in a way that doesn't involve some annoying, convoluted preemptive battle skill or item usage to make the selection due to the no-dialog rule.

KV_Kingdom

Furry Potato
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I upload projects with both a web version and Windows version by default, but just so it’s in writing: what format(s) are required for submission?

ScorchedGround

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are there rules about the game's name (both project folder and in-game title) or must we leave it at "BBBBTemplate"?

Also, is the Boss' name also fixed ("Obsidian Dragon") or can we change it?
If not, can we atleast add a name-name or epithet to the boss?

example:

Dolly the Obsidian Dragon
or
Ancient Obsidian Dragon
or
Obsidian Dragon of old times

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Aesica Yeah, difficulty choice would be fine.

@KV_Kingdom You can do both, but I'd like to have the deployed windows version. (I like to predownload all of them and send them to people playing them to judge without them having to go to every page/download individually)

@ScorchedGround Title of the game can be anything you want (you can also add a title screen if you want). The main purpose of the template was just to save a few MB here by cutting out all the stuff that isn't necessary, not to prevent people from adding stuff they want to use. Also, you can change the name as long as it contains "Obsidian Dragon" somewhere.

Yuki_P

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
how about VX ACE and old engine user, can they join? @Touchfuzzy
(because I dont have MV or MZ)

edit: nvm, the rule stated "must use template project"
I hope you can make another event for old engine

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

so... I decided since a park was an area in my game... here's an enemy that's slide with a hand behind it. cause why not.
Hot chocolate and music make studying and note-taking much easier :kaoluv:
Until my hand cramps up from writing too much!
Doing RPG Maker News for 21st September 2021

Malak is still waiting for Dark Deception Chapter 4... This was him yesterday after another sugar crash.
Again, he's fine. He's just bored at this point, considering he's exhausted his entire vacation bucket list.
Am I the only one who files custom resources under specific folders to remember who to credit? :kaoswt2:
1632263519730.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghosted