Boss Battle Build Bout! Sep 13th-Oct 4th!

AssumedPseudonym

Lawful Neutral
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
 @NatePlays — I think you did the same thing Quexp did earlier, you don’t have a downloadable version. Make sure your username is part of the download file.

AssumedPseudonym

Lawful Neutral
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
 And now that it’s officially closed, I want to share an idea I had which I mentioned to some friends (who were encouraging me to actually use it in my submission) that was technically not against the event rules:

Basically, have the Obsidian dragon not be able to be defeated until about the eight-and-a-half minute mark, regardless of how much damage you did. …And then have him fall over on the first attack of the next turn after that point. Timed survival boss, anyone?

I didn’t do that in my submission. I did make an alternate version of mine where I did, though. ^.~

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
 And now that it’s officially closed, I want to share an idea I had which I mentioned to some friends (who were encouraging me to actually use it in my submission) that was technically not against the event rules:

Basically, have the Obsidian dragon not be able to be defeated until about the eight-and-a-half minute mark, regardless of how much damage you did. …And then have him fall over on the first attack of the next turn after that point. Timed survival boss, anyone?

I didn’t do that in my submission. I did make an alternate version of mine where I did, though. ^.~
That crossed my mind, actually. However, an unkillable boss that magically becomes one-shottable or that commits sudoku around the 8-9 minute mark isn't the kind of fight I wanted to make.

That said, a LOT of these games went over the 10 minute mark for me. Not surprising at all really, since 10 minutes isn't a lot of time to properly learn the kits of 4 characters and figure out how to use them properly against a boss with unknown mechanics. Oh well, let's see how this goes.

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan (More than ever)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That said, a LOT of these games went over the 10 minute mark for me. Not surprising at all really, since 10 minutes isn't a lot of time to properly learn the kits of 4 characters and figure out how to use them properly against a boss with unknown mechanics. Oh well, let's see how this goes.

Yeah, I played some entries already aswell and I often went over 10 minutes
(They were really good though, so I honestly did not mind spending more time in the battle)

I really underestimated how much "downtime" there is in combat.

this includes factors like those I already talked about in this thread:
- reading skill descriptions
- understanding skill combinations
- understanding how the boss works
--> choosing how to approach the battle

but also:
- Taking in the setting in terms of atmosphere
--> Music
--> Battle environment (like backgrounds, weather effects etc.)
--> character art

- Some entries also allow for you to configure your battle beforehand (mostly difficulty)
--> I don't know if this also counts towards the 10 minutes though

- Animations from skills and scripted events account for a surprising amount of time

Now, I know this event is only about the battle itself and not aesthethics, but I still needed like a minute to take everything in.

So with that said, either most of us are about to be disqualified or maybe we will receive some
"loose leniency" after all.

Honestly, I already cut my battle down quite a bit, but I fear that I will still go over 10 minutes.
However, I could not really afford to cut anymore without destroying the core concept of the battle

boomy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Another way to cheat the ten minutes restriction would be to use a sheed up plugin like himeworks one and make the game run faster

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So with that said, either most of us are about to be disqualified or maybe we will receive some
"loose leniency" after all.
I think at worst case, they'll just cut off the gameplay at the 10 minute mark and judge what they played. It'd be silly to DQ all but like 3-4 entries in a contest like this. I've actually played all of them (I played them as they got posted, so I'll probably need to go back for those that got updated significantly) and imo the ones I enjoyed the most all went over 10 minutes. Since they said it's okay for everyone doing fan voting to vote with whatever criteria we want, I think at the very least, we can toss out the 10 minute restriction if we want. I know I will.

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
- Yeah, for me too. I only played 3 until now.
I think people got excited, (because I got to) and went make something more complex than it should.
The moment I see that exist a time limit I knew that I had to make it simple and fun. So I did my best to get this result, that was my focus while I was developing.
1 - What is the function of the characters
2 - How the boss works
3 - Understand the skills
4 - Understand the battle layout
5 - After that points, they need to finish the battle in time

So I take an approach thinking that the player must understand the game based on that.
I always manage to finish the battle in 4 or 5 minutes(winning or losing). So I stick with that.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm just so close to replacing LUK with a different stat, maybe DEX but we'll see.
Slapped together a title screen and working on some dungeon clutter + portraits for Dubhghaill and Einar. Usual CW for minor body horror wrt Einar
QVLJIgD.png

OaPcYUy.png

r55FiUJ.png

EIgO94y.png
cT1V4nb.png
>studying for months for an exam
>does exam
>waits 3 months for the results to come out
>me trying to login, incorrect password
>I get recovery password
>me trying to login, incorrect password

What the heck. As a son of a Karen, I'm going to file a few complaints.
Apparently Amazon Prime users get free Genshin Impact stuff like primogems and whatnot every month, but I'm not sure I ever want to fall into the abyss of F2P ever again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kostec