Boss Fight feedback

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Kvich, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Kvich

Kvich Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Danish
    I've been toying with this idea for quite a while, and personally I like it, but it often happens that what I think is great and brilliant, aren't exactly the best idea, especially because I know how things are designed and should work, but the player don't.

This particular problem comes in form of a boss fight, that I kind a want to be a challenge in a different way.

Many boss fights, taking care of the adds, minions of the boss, is priority 1, because they tend to be weaker and faster to kill, lowering the amount of damage everyone is taking.

I want this particular boss to be empowered when the player kills an add, say add a flat +20 to all stats, which lowers over time with 2 per round, and give the boss a stacking poison effect, so the more adds the player kill, the stronger the boss gets, and the more damage the boss takes from the poison like effect.

The boss will regularly ress fallen adds, or call in new ones if all are alive, which in turn will reapply the effect when killed again, making the fight about managing adds and not get overwhelmed, but also not just nuke the living out of everyone.

The player will be informed about this through battle events dialogues, and a save point will be conveniently nearby.

As the topic tittle says, feedback is welcome, also any concerns about this.

2. Warpmind

Warpmind Twisted Genius Veteran

First Language:
    Norwegian
    Oh, I like this variant. :D

Kvich likes this.
  3. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    So to be clear, what you're trying to do is to make it so that the boss should be the target the whole way through instead of its minions ("adds")?

Your way of doing so is very interesting but it requires razor-sharp balance to avoid becoming something that's either too easy, too obvious (without any real strategy), or unwinnable.  The minions need to be a big enough threat so that you can't just ignore them, and the boss shouldn't be so overpowered with its buffs that you have to ignore its minions.

Because otherwise, those minions might as well just be additional power on the boss; it would effectively be the same thing.

If yours is the kind of game where you know exactly how powerful the player's party will be at a given time, or you have some kind of "cheese" to enforce battle balance (like FF8's scaling monsters), it could work - just make sure you do a lot of testing.

In timeblazer, I use a lot of different techniques in my attempt to make "focus on the boss" versus "spread the damage out" versus "focus on the minions" all viable strategies.  Among them:

• The minions usually have a decent amount of HP compared to the boss.
    • Defeating the boss (without defeating the minions) often counts as a Victory.
    • Sometimes you can do things to the boss to stop him from spawning minions.
    • A few skills/items work better when there are multiple enemies still alive.
    • In one battle, you can actually turn the minions against the boss!
    • In a few battles, the "Battle Mission" (gives you extra loot if you complete it) requires you to keep some minions alive.

Kvich likes this.
  4. Miss Nile

Miss Nile Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Egyptian Arabic
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like this idea as well. It makes the boss more interesting to fight and more important through the whole game. However, I'll also agree with Wavelength's comment. The idea is really good but needs careful balancing. XD

Kvich likes this.
  5. Kvich

Kvich Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Danish
    Thanks a lot for the feedback guys, and for keeping a positive approach to it.

I'm aware it's going to be a cute to balance, but I like the challenge. :)

Mainly my idea is to get as many interesting and different boss fights as I can, with different tactics and challenges, so it's not just tank and spank, but takes some thinking as well.

The idea for this particular fight came up when reading another topic, where someone said that isn't it always bring down the enemies as fast as possible, and I was thinking, not always. ;)

To run a few numbers to give an idea, none of these numbers are set in stone.

The boss and it's minions, will do roughly the same damage on a single attack, they will have several different abilities that will either inflict a state or hit everyone or do large amount of damage on a single target.

Every time a minion goes down, the boss gets +25 on all stats, which decrease by 2 every round afterwards, every 5 rounds the boss will either ress a dead minion, or spawn one if all minions are still alive.

The plus on the offensive stats, will equal to about a increase in damage of 33% from the boss.

The boss will get a poison like effect, that for every minion will deal roughly 1% of it's MHP in damage every round, which stacks up to 10 times, and is undispellable.

The minions will take about 2-3 hits before they go down, some skills will even kill them in 1 blow.

The minions will be immune to some damage over time, but not other.

For instance they will be immune to the bleeding effect that can come from daggers, but some skills have a 100% chance of inflicting a different type of bleed, which they aren't immune to.

This is primarily done so the minions don't die unintentionally, but if the player want's them inflicted with DOT's they can.