Boss that can only be damaged by one Actor

Stormhaven

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'd like to have one of my bosses only be damageable from one of my actor's attacks, but I have no clue how to go about doing that. I may need a script or something, but I'd like to avoid that if possible. Any advice?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
elemental damage ratings.

make the boss immune to all but one element and have only that actor skills with that element set.

Stormhaven

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
elemental damage ratings.

make the boss immune to all but one element and have only that actor skills with that element set.
I tried that, I think, but then I wouldn't be able to have that actor use any other elements, correct?

Stormhaven

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
After testing it myself a bit more, I do think that does work unless I want my actor to be able use more than one element, in which case I should be able to just make alternate elements in a similar way that I can make function the same as their originals. If anyone has a simpler solution that would be great, but this should be a solid work around at least, thanks!

xDRAGOONx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
After testing it myself a bit more, I do think that does work unless I want my actor to be able use more than one element, in which case I should be able to just make alternate elements in a similar way that I can make function the same as their originals. If anyone has a simpler solution that would be great, but this should be a solid work around at least, thanks!
I think without an element based plugin, this would be the way I would go.

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
i don't think there's more simpler solution than using element beside using a plugin... but you said you'd like to avoid that...

other alternative also require even more complex thing to do.
example:
adding extra damage formula code which check for the user and the target... if it's the boss and the right actor using the skill... do the normal formula damage else do 0 damage... but this need to be added to ALL skill... thus making it worse than using element. :D...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
but then I wouldn't be able to have that actor use any other elements, correct?
wrong, you misunderstood how elements are applied.

First of all, it's the skill that determines element.
There is no problem with one actor having several skills for different elements, like fireball and ice spike or whatever.
If you go this way then only some skills of that actor instead of all skills will damage that boss however.

then there is the setting "normal attack element". This setting in the skill means that the skill should look for the attack elements available to the actor.
That attack element can be set directly to the actor, although it is often added by weapon.
And contrary to your belief it is possible to have several different elements added this way, even if only one element is used in the attacks if that is the case.
I don't remember the function the engine uses to decide which element to use if several are available.
If I remember correctly it will be the one doing the most damage - which would be ideal for you.
But you can simply test that in your game.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
<Custom Confirm Effect>
if (this.isHpEffect() && value > 0 && target.isStateAffected(ID)) {
value = 0;
}
</Custom Confirm Effect>

someone who knows java edit the bold part so it works. this is just a piece of 1 of the states someone helped me make before.
once its working just have turn 0 troop event give this state to all but the 1 actor and the ID state to the boss. yanfly buff/state core
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the element idea only works for skills that use normal attack element which is usually only physical skills. very high chance that they also have attack magic which is just a single base element.

my own earlier comment doesnt take into account restoration magic being affected and skills 'might' have a minimum damage formula.

just had this thought while reading andars comment and thinking about how most games have an offensive magic user as the 4th character. but i dont realy know java myself

edit: better yet if someone could make it a <Custom React Effect> checking if not actor(X) attacking, so the boss to be the only 1 with the state. that way dont need to worry about <bybass death removal> for the actors

Last edited:

TheGameBrewery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Would applying a state that lowers your Attack & M.Attack to 0 work? If so, then you can apply it to your party members on turn 0 in the Troops conditions.

2020-12-03 09_18_26-Window.png2020-12-03 09_19_40-Window.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Almost to the finish line!... or the starting... since it's just the demo. :kaomad2:

Having problems with enemy/monster designs. :kaosigh:
While we prepare the official trailer, enjoy this kind-of-second teaser! ^^
-Ele
New Episodes of RPG Shenanigans Uploaded to Youtube!

Episode 5 - Surprise Party!
Youtube Link:
Episode 6 - Killer Gin
Youtube Link:
Episode 7 - Gaia's Melody: Echoed Melodies
(Coming soon!)

Episode 8 - Clarent Saga: Tactics
(Coming soon!)

Episode 9 - Star Shift
(Coming soon!)
When the Map Generator throws in the assets in the most dumbest way possible - your path is blocked :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WDRS