Bought a VXA pack, doesn't work

Discussion in 'Tech Support-All Makers' started by Shefflox, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Shefflox

Shefflox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I bought a VXA pack from steam entitled 'RPG Maker VX Ace - Shrouded Wonder Music Pack' I found the dlc folder extracted it, and put it intio my MV audio BGM folder. I put the MP3 and .ogg files in as I normally do from any audio pack. Started my game up, it shows the songs on the BGM list. But when I click it, no sound plays on any of the tracks. Not sure why either, when I go outside of the RPG MAker MV program and click on the .ogg file or the MP3 it plays just fine. But it won't play in RPG MV, I sent a ticket to RPG MAker tech support and have not received any word back from them (not really sure how long it takes to get a response.)

Just wondering if anyone else had this issue or knows of a solution to it or any advise.

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Do you have Ace, or could you download the trial and see if it works there? Sometimes people edit & save the files, and it's in a format that's not recognised, but if you just copies the files over, that shouldn't be the problem here.

Are you running MV on a PC or Mac? Are there spaces in any of the file names? If there are, try renaming them (or copying them and renaming the copies). I know MV has issues on pretty much any platform except Windows with spaces in path & file names.

3. Shefflox

Shefflox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yes I have VX Ace, and I'm running MV on a PC. I copied the files directly from the dlc folder after it downloaded onto Steam.

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    do they work in Ace?

edit: MV does not use mp3 files - it uses m4a. Then it deploys either m4a or ogg depending on the platform you're building for, which is why you need them both in your project. I suspect when you play inside the editor, it's looking for the m4a version.

5. Shefflox

Shefflox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    that might be the problem then if it uses mp3 files, but i coulda swore it used mp3 I will have to check. I haven't tested it in ACE just because I have the program I don't actually have a project in ACE but I will test it out and get back to you. Merry Christmas Eve!

6. Shefflox

Shefflox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I just checked my audio files and I have a bunch of other MP3's in there,(RPG MAker XP BGMs) and those ones work fine.

7. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    .mp3 files though are not supposed to work in MV. If they work at all in MV you are getting lucky, as it is not a supported format for MV. Use the formats MV expects to fix this issue.

8. Shefflox

Shefflox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I changed one of the songs to MP4, didn't make one bit of difference. But I converted the MP4 version of the song to a new .ogg and it finally worked. So the long and short of it is, I will have to change all the music I bought to new MP4s and .ogg for it to work.

9. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    .mp4 is also not supported. It is m4a that you want if you use that. So use either m4a or ogg.

The reason neither of those work is .mp3 and .mp4 require special codexes to run and in order to support them officially RPGMaker would have to pay a huge license fee, so huge it would probably double the cost of the maker.

10. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You will not have to convert them all to ogg. You will have to convert them to m4a. You need BOTH formats if you are going to deploy to multiple platforms.

I'm not sure if you're complaining about having to convert them or not. But if you bought resources for Ace that aren't supported by MV and you want to use them in MV, it's just something you have to do. At least (I assume) converting audio is an awful lot easier and faster than converting graphics.

11. Shefflox

Shefflox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm not complaining about having to convert them at all. And I wrote it down incorrectly, I converted them into MP4A, not mp4's. And like I said even just converting it into just a MP4a the sound still doesn't play unless I also convert the already .ogg file from the mp4a into a new .ogg then it works. Really this post was just to ask the community for help in figuring out how to fix my audio issue. Because I have bought other VXA audio dlc's and put them into MV no problem and this one has been the only one that was a little different.

12. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    MV uses M4A. Not MP4A.

13. Shefflox

Shefflox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Wow I keep messing up what I'm trying to say, I know the correct one that MV uses I just keep writing the wrong one. The long and short is I have to convert both of them to new fresh versions for the audio to work. So if anyone has this problem there is the solution, well at least that worked for me.

14. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No, you need both versions because on deployment, MV uses one or the other depending on target system. And since it doesn't know what you will deploy to, it needs both.
    Only one file will be used in any specific deployment, but in the editor you should provide both for a lot of reasons.

15. Shefflox

Shefflox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've just noticed that if I dont have both the .ogg and the m4a it wont show up in the editor so i just do both.

16. Susan

Susan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    No idea...
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Shefflox :
    Just in case you're still wondering, the .ogg files of both of Elijah Mills's packs (Shrouded Wonder & The Simple Life) don't work in RM Ace & RMMV out of the box (at least for me). They can be played with MPC-HC without conversion or re-exporting, but you won't hear anything if you try to use them directly in MV. It's not a problem with your computer.

They have to be imported and re-exported to .ogg for them to work, and there's no need to convert them to .m4a beforehand (You can use Audacity, if that's not what you're already using, but you have to install additional libraries once). Another thing, if you're going to deploy your game only for Windows, you don't need the .m4a files. Those will just increase your project size for no reason. Hope that helps. :)

17. Shefflox

Shefflox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I very much appreciate the info! So only need to tamper with the .ogg files then not bad at all! Thanks!