DankRat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Most of my previous projects died out simply because I couldn't think of a compelling battle system beyond the basic choose between attack or magic system that's been used in countless RPGs since Dragon Warrior. So this time I thought I'd try something different; I'll discuss some design possibilities with others who probably have more experience with RPGs than me or could possibly add to my ideas.

There are two different battle systems off the top of my head to which I could take from, being Chrono Trigger and South Park, the Fractured but Whole. The first one, Chrono Trigger, should be easier to implement, even if the battle screen is still much like Earthbound or Dragon Warrior 3. It uses the Active Time Battle feature from Final Fantasy 4 but makes it so characters can combine their special moves or techs into dual techs and then triple techs. Every character can do a double tech with every other character. Now this is realistically possible with a smaller lineup of playable characters, so that will have to be kept in mind.

The other system, from South Park, is more in line with a strategy RPG, in that you have turn based combat, but the position of your character matters. Then your attacks can hit enemies right in front of you, or in a line, a V shape, etc. The thing holding this back is that RMMV might not be able to support this battle system, which there is SRPG Studio for an alternative.

IndiSkye

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I remember a battle system like this being made for...VX, I think? So it's not out of the question, I would assume. I don't know if I've seen a system like that since, tho.
(Not that I've been looking for one, mind you.)

Solar_Flare

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There was a grid-based battle system in development which might fit your second description.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The other system, from South Park, is more in line with a strategy RPG, in that you have turn based combat, but the position of your character matters. Then your attacks can hit enemies right in front of you, or in a line, a V shape, etc. The thing holding this back is that RMMV might not be able to support this battle system, which there is SRPG Studio for an alternative.
If you're using MV, then you actually have 2 options for a Tactical Battle System: LeTBS & SRPG.

LeTBS (LeCode's Tactical Battle System) is what I personally use. However, it's no longer being developed since LeCode has moved onto other things. The main difference between LeTBS & SRPG is that the former features individual turn order (like FFT) while the latter uses player/enemy team phase turn order (like Fire Emblem). SRPG has a more active community atm, but I preferred the individual turn order provided by LeTBS, which is something SRPG will never be able to support from what I've been told. But if you're okay with turn order being "all player units" then "all enemy units", then go with SRPG, imo.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Hi, I'm a new and upcoming Indie Developer, and I could really use some help when it comes to system programming. Explorers can only go so far before needing a map, you know?
I made a comic strip with the characters of my game.Flor en la cola eng.jpg
Hey, what does it mean in settings, privacy, where it says allow users to: view your identities??????????
I have returned yet again. No reason for my hiatus; just got distracted by video games and stuff. I figured out how to make a bootleg Ys 1 Battle system using in engine scripting (The only plugin enabled is the HUD thing).
Unfortunately I have no idea how to program but-stabbing as a crit without it being even more complicated to program so this is it.

Kickstarter successful!! I'm gonna have a Hot GameDev Summer in the trenches!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francocado